yconic - Memorizing + Material/Content
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Memorizing + Material/Content

A photo of History History
I wanted to ask, how do you guys go about memorizing the great chunks of material in a class such as Sociology?

I am currently in the class and there is too much information to grasp (like 12 chapters for a m/c test :|)...Any tips? Do you guys review your work every week or something?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I read it until I can repeat it back to myself without looking at the notes. Reading it aloud helps me. I'm also a visual learner so drawing diagrams (where applicable) also helps me memorize concepts. Also I have a good memory. I only study for midterms/exams, but it's a good habit to review your work constantly. I just don't have the time to do that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I usually make notes from my notes..
And while I'm making the notes, I will repeat it to myself 10 times or so, as many times as it takes to memorize it.
Then I'd move on to the next note.
Then go back at the end and recite it.
I'm a very visual learner.
When I close my eyes, I can remember where exactly on my notes I wrote it, so that helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of youstoppedmakingsense youstoppedmakingsense

@cyynthiia wrote
And while I'm making the notes, I will repeat it to myself 10 times or so, as many times as it takes to memorize it.
When I close my eyes, I can remember where exactly on my notes I wrote it, so that helps.

+1 Making notes works like a charm.
Make a neat and tidy copy of your notes you took in class. Highlight the keywords and phrases and copy them several times to memorize those lines better. Then you're pretty much all set. And of course looking through the notes you've made before tests and exams would definitely help as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@youstoppedmakingsense wrote

@cyynthiia wrote

Make a neat and tidy copy of your notes you took in class. Highlight the keywords and phrases and copy them several times to memorize those lines better. Then you're pretty much all set. And of course looking through the notes you've made before tests and exams would definitely help as well.

That would take forever.

I prefer to use my photographic memory.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
That really depends on how efficient you are and how good you are at paraphrasing things.
I've done it with almost a whole textbook.
If you know what key words to write down and what main points to write, you're good to go for almost any amount.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
I am obsessed with highlighting my notes with multiple colours!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
I don't know about sociology, but for chemistry and biology I focus on understanding the material first. If I don't know how the material works, how it's used, and how it all connects, then memorizing it becomes rather difficult. Not to mention many of the questions focus on understanding, memorizing just doesn't cut it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorLawyerDentist DoctorLawyerDentist
Most importantly, while doing all of that, you must be focused. Don't study "with a friend" while talking about something else every other sentence. If you aren't completely focused, it's all a waste of time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of youstoppedmakingsense youstoppedmakingsense

@johnnycanuck wrote

@youstoppedmakingsense wrote

@cyynthiia wrote

That would take forever.

I prefer to use my photographic memory.

whatever floats your boat.:bball:
When I make my notes I would use as many abbreviations as possible, and try to condense the whole paragraph into a few points. It works for me every time, as long as my notes are clear and concise.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Palisades Palisades
I just make really brief (and usually neater) versions of my notes. I find copying them out by hand is usually enough for the information to stick.
Was this helpful? Yes 0