yconic - Memorizing Tips
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Memorizing Tips

A photo of academicgirl academicgirl
I find it really difficult to memorize things efficiently and effectively, especially with subjects such as biology! What techniques do you guys use?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
105 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I'm a visual learner so I have a portable whiteboard that I use as a study aid. I draw/write out diagrams to help me memorize. Mnemonics work well for things like Kreb's cycle, you can find those through a google search. Other than that I just read aloud my notes to myself, like I'm teaching it to someone for the first time..that way I explain it in layman's terms and really get to understand the material rather than just regurgitating it word for word.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
I just write everything out, and then try to write it out on top of my head without looking at my notes to ensure that I've mastered the material.

I'm not sure where I read this, but I recall coming across a report that suggested something about using a part of your brain that makes you study better when you write, versus as if you were to just stare at a computer screen/notes/book.

When I'm writing it out, I also have to THINK and get at it to know what I'm writing. When I'm just staring at something, I often drift off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kail33 Kail33
I make a set of cue cards for as much of the information as possible. Put a question on one side and the answer on the back, carry them around all the time and flip through them when you have a spare minute (waiting for the bus, in line at a store, etc.) studying doesn't seem as hard when it's 3 minutes at a time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
Ill use a simple example to explain.

Lets say i have to memorize a list of 10 symptoms or whatever for bio

i read 1 and say it to myself until it sticks
then 2 until it sticks
then 1 and 2
then 3
then 123
then 4
then1234
then 5
the 12345
then 6
then 123456
and so on

I find this very effective.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nai Nai
I don't know about biology, but for subjects like math, physics or chemistry I find that if I focus on and achieve a solid understanding of whatever I need to remember, then I don't need to try to memorize mountains of facts because they come to me out of my understanding.

Of course, I found when taking bio last year that there wasn't a lot of things I could actually break down into basic concepts to understand, which meant I had to try to memorize everything.. which consequently led to me not taking bio this year.

In short, I just look for ways to make whatever it is I need to remember 'click' in my head.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RobinS RobinS
In chemistry 12, we are learning about redox, and i need study tips for this unit quickly
Any suggestions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bearie Bearie
I like to make diagrams and things like that too. Also, I find it easier to memorize something if I make a quirky little acronym to help with the words.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jordencolwell jordencolwell
For the redox reactions chapters the most important part is simplified by LEO says GER. Loses Electrons Oxidized (it is the reducingagent). Gains Electron Reduced (it is the oxidizing agent)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emilyclairerose emilyclairerose
Here are two very effective ways of studying that work for me:

1) Write it out, write it out, write it out! I write it and re-write it until i can write everything without looking.
It can be messy and scribbly as long as you are saying it in your head and writing it down. Sometimes I write something out about 15 times.. if it is a chart this works especially well.

2) Study with a friend in your class... or with a friend not in your class!
Studying with someone in your class is very effective because they can explain things to you that you may have missed and you can explain thing to them too. It is a symbiotic relationship! Also, teaching someone something builds confidence with the material and is a GREAT WAY to remember stuff!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kiyomi Kiyomi
Memorization and word play works for me! For diagrams I draw them repeatedly to memorize them. For concepts, I play with words to come up with a memorable phrase. For example, this is how I momorize all the mono-, di- and polysaccharides. Go Get Food (glucose, galactose, fructose), My Lunch Stinks (maltose, lactose, sucrose) and Gravy Can't Satisfy Cravings (glycogen, chitin, starch and cellulose). :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@emilyclairerose wrote

2) Study with a friend in your class... or with a friend not in your class!

Depends on the friend though...sometimes it's more counterproductive.

I often put things I have to memorize into a rhyme/song/acronym.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LisaWan LisaWan
I usually make my own notes from the textbook while I'm reading through. Hope this helps. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nc2chicken nc2chicken
If it's diagrams and pictures, I draw it once to try and understand it. Then i keep drawing it until I can understand and reiterate it in words.

If it's notes, I try to highlight the important words and put them into my own words to better understand the material.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mapbanzon mapbanzon
Flash cards! they work wonders!

and also you can get a friend to help you out by asking them to help you study....

and like the previous ones say... writing them down seems like a pretty effective way to memorize things too....

then maybe.. saying out loud to yourself and then "teaching" it to someone...

I usually just pretend like my sister is my student... even if she's not really paying attention to me while I ramble on about the things I need to know when I memorize things

Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Andi Andi
I make up mnemonics that are a little humourous so I am more likely to remember them. For example, to remember the seven research areas of psychology I made up this:
Pudgy Purple Penguins Can't Sit Down Ever:
Pudgy - Personality
Purple - Psychometrics
Penguins - Physiological
Can't - Cognitive
Sit - Social
Down - Developmental
Ever - Experimental
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of origamiprincess origamiprincess
Mnemonics work pretty well for me, but usually studying diagrams helps me memorize processes. Since I'm a visual learner, I can recall the image when doing the test or exam. =) Since I also type all of my notes up, I find it helpful to bold the important terms so that it's easy for me to skim my notes and understand what they mean.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of origamiprincess origamiprincess
Mnemonics work pretty well for me, but usually studying diagrams helps me memorize processes. Since I'm a visual learner, I can recall the image when doing the test or exam. =) Since I also type all of my notes up, I find it helpful to bold the important terms so that it's easy for me to skim my notes and understand what they mean.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cblake01 cblake01
For me i find writing good notes and typing them up in a summary works, the reading it over and over aloud. for diagrams i learn the words and then keep going over and over then i sleep right after i find my key is to go over it and sleep so it sets in my mind.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ThuRyGuy ThuRyGuy
Study the topic for five minutes, do some homework or something for a bit. Then study it again for maybe 7 minutes, do something else. Repeat this cycle. I think the best way to memorize is to first "expose" yourself to the ideas or topics and then sleep on it. Study in moderation. Read it, write it, cover it up, then say it out loud.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jz jz
It really works well for me if I read whatever I'm trying to memorize before bedtime because your brain processes that information when you're sleeping :)
Also, say if you're trying to memorize a list of something, it helps if you read it over a few times in the normal order and then a few times backwards and then finally the normal order again.
hope these tips are helpful! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
I repeat it back to myself, giving it an unusual rhythm so I can remember it as something unique.

I also run on the treadmill and go through everything in my mind.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GypsyHeart GypsyHeart
Sometimes listening to things (having other people read things to me) helps me with the memorization.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Wendy_D Wendy_D
Hey. I have a couple ideas.

In my 4U Bio class it has become a bit of a tradition to have study parties the couple of lunches leading up to a test. This normally leads to lots of laughs, and helpful study tips, and I find the most helpful thing for memorizing stuff is to just relax and repeat things with friends. We ask each other questions, and then try to answer them.

My little brother has decided to record his science notes with his iPod and then listen to them while he sleeps. We don't know if this works yet with school notes(but he did memorize audio books when he was a kid, much to our amazement!), but it's an idea...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hockey hockey
I think the best way to memorize something is by walking around and reciting the information you need to memorize.
Was this helpful? Yes 0