yconic - MHF4U Discussions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

MHF4U Discussions

A photo of brady23 brady23
How is this course going for you guys so far? Any advice from people who took it? I have an 84 after the first unit of piecewise/polynomial functions.

This is a thread for the discussion about grade 12 Advanced Functions(AP and Non AP). General discussions about the course, specific questions, studying guides, strategies etc can all be posted here.

Here is the Ontario Curriculum for this course:
1. Characteristics and Transformations
2. Polynomial and Rational Functions
3. Trigonometric functions and identities
4. Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
5. Combinations of functions and rate of change
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of brady23 brady23
Piecewise Functions & the Polynomial Functions stuff seemed easy, but I bombed the test. Hoping polynomial factoring is easier :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
Really easy course so far, I think I'm sitting at a 92% right now and pretty confident I can pull it higher
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@brady23 wrote
How is this course going for you guys so far? Any advice from people who took it? I have an 84 after the first unit of piecewise/polynomial functions.

This is a thread for the discussion about grade 12 Advanced Functions(AP and Non AP). General discussions about the course, specific questions, studying guides, strategies etc can all be posted here.

Here is the Ontario Curriculum for this course:
1. Characteristics and Transformations
2. Polynomial and Rational Functions
3. Trigonometric functions and identities
4. Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
5. Combinations of functions and rate of change

1. 80% of the material here is review. That said, stuff here will appear again in other chapters over and over, especially the transformations and rates of change.

2. I found this as the trickiest unit, but in terms of material itself, it's pretty straight forward. A bit tedious, I'd give it that.

3. Once you know how to convert degrees to radians, the first half is a piece of cake. The identities and equations are a bit trickier. When proving identities, you should really know your goal when you make your moves.

4. My favourite in this course. You get to learn some neat rules regarding both of those functions. You can basically write out exponential functions using any base, and do the same with logarithmic functions too.

5. Some general rules about how the characteristics of different functions come into play when functions of different types are combined through addition/subtraction, multiplication, division or composition (the last one is pretty interesting). The notations used here are really common sense.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joejohnson2 joejohnson2
I thought it was a peice of cake (peicewise unit etc.) I didn't study for the test and it was short , ended up making terrible mistake on graphing so I got like 62% on the test...there was 4 questions.

In the 2nd unit (rates of change) I aced the task, and the test except the "thinking" part of it which lost me 20% (there was 1 question)

Right now I'm sitting at around 75%

Whats the best I can get at midterms if I achieve 90-100% on the future tests/quizzes/assignments

assuming we have 2 units left, is a 90% midterm unlikely?

prereq:
Gr.11 Functions- midterm: 85 final : 91
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kylandria Kylandria
My mark so far has been a been like a roller coaster, I started with a 94 then dropped to a 81 then back to a 89..

The course itself is really easy, I just tend to make really stupid mistakes for some reason. Mistakes such as reading the signs wrong, plugging in the wrong numbers, forgetting to label the axis and forgetting my therefore statements.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haala93 Haala93
I'm currently taking this course and am sitting at around 83%. I'm not doing exceptionally bad in tests or quizzes considering I honestly haven't been handing in assignments or doing homework or studying for that matter mainly because I'm too busy with my other courses. I am making an effort to start making time for math and taking it as seriously as my other courses. I'm confident I'll get my mark up to at least 95% if not more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CyanicSparrow CyanicSparrow
Advanced Functions is very easy and slow-paced so far. We completed our unit on Characteristics of Polynomial Functions and have a test on Applications of Polynomial Functions in a week's time. Both units were fairly straightforward. I'd say 3U math is actually more challenging, but I may be judging too quickly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
Hey guys heads up trig is by far the hardest like twice as hard as the beginning units then after trig it gets easier again IMO
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brandonholmes brandonholmes
I've got an 80 after two units. Not bad, not good, considering I need at least an 85 for Laurier.. I've got a lot of work to do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ssidat ssidat
I am struggling in Advance Functions so badly right now, but this is a course I need to further take Calculus as well as a pre-requisite for University programs! I'm having a lot of trouble in that class and the major problem is the teacher. He is teaching the concepts and I don't understand him. My teacher's teaching ways is confusing many students in class and they are struggling as well. I am currently getting extra help too after school, but that doesn't seem to be working either, because the teacher is not able to teach me properly! My difficulty is actually understanding what he is teaching me as well as the tests! I tend to have test anxiety, EXPECIALLY in advance functions, so when I first get the test, I don't understand the questions on the test. That is also a big problem for me. The questions that appear on the tests seem so different than what we are being taught in class, resulting in me doing very poorly! Any suggestions on what I should do??

Feel free to PM me if you have any suggestions or just post on the forum!!

Thank You So Much for all your help! Every little bit of help is greatly appreciated! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0