yconic - MID TERMS ARE HERE!!!! What are my chances of getting into McMaster, Waterloo and Western?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

MID TERMS ARE HERE!!!! What are my chances of getting into McMaster, Waterloo and Western?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I applied to Computer Science at Waterloo and McMaster and Software Engineering at Waterloo, McMaster, UofT and Western. These are my current marks
Advanced Functions:85
English:86
Physics:80
Chemistry:80
Computer Engineering:92
Biology:85
Computer Science:88
Calculus:80

Extra Info (If Needed):
Extra-Curriculars: Robotics Club, Model UN, Basketball Team, Environmental Club
150 Community Hours
A lot of programming experience, in C, Java, Python, Android

So can anyone please tell me if I can get into the programs at any of these schools? Please answer soon I'm freaking out right now!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of 2012Applicant 2012Applicant
So, don't take my exact words as truths here, but this is what I figure: Your average is 85.1666... so I would assume that you should be able to get into software at western with the marks - with the EC's you would probably be able to get into McMaster Software and U of T software.

I'm a bit surprised that you haven't gotten an acceptance for CS at Waterloo - but it should come.

Software @ Waterloo is tough to call. When I went on shadow day and Open house they told me that admission averages were increasing steadily each year for software (from mid 80's to high 80's over 3-4 years) - the person I was paired up with on shadow day had a 95 average (but no programming experience) and was accepted in May. I'm a little nervous as I have about a 91.3 average and I know Java, C++, Turing - plus I've messed with some game engines and Android development. Still - Since you have strong programming experience, it's not a long shot.

Again, not an admissions offer, just me looking at things and making statements.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of feppy feppy
wtf you didn't do the SPF?! dude LOL why....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@feppy wrote

Is the spf the additional student info that uoft asks for? If so then yes I did it lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bcd92 bcd92
i think you should get in. (:
work experience in the field your headed into is definitely going to serve as an advantage.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
You'll definitely get into western and mcmaster, you may or may not get into waterloo/Uoft
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 2012Applicant 2012Applicant

@feppy wrote

I'm assuming that's directed at me;

When I was applying, I decided that applying to 2 universities was kind of a good idea - so I applied to Waterloo and Toronto with literally no intention of going to Toronto: costed too much, far from my house, entrance scholarships are really bad, atmosphere was no good when I went, blah blah blah.

When I got the acceptance from Waterloo CS (My back-up) I reasoned that I wouldn't need to write any of the things for U of T. Then a reminder came up in my inbox like a week before the SPF was due and I was like "Maybe I should fill it out just to see if I could get accepted?" then it was like "$35 Engineering application fee" and I basically never went back to submit the form.

so... yeah.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Basically what everyone has said so far.. you can still get into UW SE if your AIF is strong. There are definitely people that get admitted with low-mid 80 averages.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Guys my marks changed a little! Do I still have a chance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Yes, of course you have a chance! Haha just hang in there for like two more weeks, the next round of acceptances should be coming soon.
Good luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey guys thanks for the comments so far! I have a small problem though I was expecting a 85% average but my teachers promised me a higher mark but did not bump it to the mark they said they would bump it to. Now my average that universities will see is a 84.1667% (84%). Does this change my chances of acceptance to McMaster's Engineering program dramatically? Can I still get in?
Please Answer Soon Guys!!! And thanks for the comments so far, they have helped my confidence and reduced my stress quite a bit!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of asad04 asad04

@stinghardj wrote
Hey guys thanks for the comments so far! I have a small problem though I was expecting a 85% average but my teachers promised me a higher mark but did not bump it to the mark they said they would bump it to. Now my average that universities will see is a 84.1667% (84%). Does this change my chances of acceptance to McMaster's Engineering program dramatically? Can I still get in?
Please Answer Soon Guys!!! And thanks for the comments so far, they have helped my confidence and reduced my stress quite a bit!!

There's an active thread about this, hopefully it will answer all of your questions.

http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=13943
Was this helpful? Yes 0