yconic - Military/ ROTP
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Military/ ROTP

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
Is anyone in the ROTP program?

I am considering joining the military for the reserves or ROTP.

Anyway, yeah...that's what this thread is about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
36 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I was the only military member on the old forums, and I assume that I'm the only one on the new ones too.

I looked into ROTP; I didn't really find it appealing since you owe them a commitment of the same number of years you took in school AFTER the schooling is done. I didn't want to commit to 12 years of mandatory service when I wasn't sure if I would like the military enough to do it for over 10 years.

Reserves is what I'm in and I love it. It's a part-time job, good pay, easy hours, and they'll reimburse up to $2000 a year in tuition for up to four years.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of himynameisadam himynameisadam
I've always considered joining the Forces or some sort of military duty but have been hesitant to do so. Would you say that the commitment is high and conflicting with academic success? I would love it for the fitness, jobs and benefits, but it seems like a lot to do while alongside school as well. Would it be easier to get into it after schooling? The whole process to get in is quite intimidating as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@himynameisadam wrote
I've always considered joining the Forces or some sort of military duty but have been hesitant to do so. Would you say that the commitment is high and conflicting with academic success? I would love it for the fitness, jobs and benefits, but it seems like a lot to do while alongside school as well. Would it be easier to get into it after schooling? The whole process to get in is quite intimidating as well.

Depends which program you're looking into completing.

With Reserves, (after your training is completed) you're spending only one night a week and one weekend a month on military stuff. The rest of the week you're free to work on school stuff or have another job.

With ROTP, (during your training) you're balancing the training and going to university. Some students have done this by having a full semester of classes, then a full semester of army training. Others have Monday and Tuesday classes, then work for the army Wednesday to Friday. It depends on your local unit and what they are able to arrange for you.

In either case, they're meant to give you part-time work alongside school. So no, it's not a lot to manage.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of christinathompson christinathompson
I am interesting in joining the Naval forces so I can recieve education money. however my mom is flipping out at the idea. what is a "safe" or not involving "death" but still serving our country type of thing?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@christinathompson wrote
I am interesting in joining the Naval forces so I can recieve education money. however my mom is flipping out at the idea. what is a "safe" or not involving "death" but still serving our country type of thing?

The Navy is a very safe idea. The deaths from Iraq and Afghanistan are all from members of the army being shot or from plane crashes. You'll be fine in your boat.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LeloLives LeloLives
I want to be a pilot, and the military seem to be the best way to go about it. Accept that the requirement it either having a degree, or working towards one, and I'm Having a hard time thinking of anything involving school that I like.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dan031 dan031
Just noting that ARMY101 you are no longer the only military member on this board:cheers: and that if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. (Though ARMY101 almost definatly has been in longer than I have - reaching the end of my first year)

Just wondering ARMY101 if you don't mind me asking what trade are you in. <--Infantry myself

P.S Just to be clear I'm in the reserves.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alammaha alammaha
Personally, I think ROTP is a good choice. First of all, you end school with a lot of work experience, no loans and a guaranteed job. I'm actually in cadets and a lot of my friends are applying for it. The only downside is that you don't get the whole 'university experience' like parties per say. It's a commitment!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dan031 wrote
Just noting that ARMY101 you are no longer the only military member on this board:cheers: and that if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. (Though ARMY101 almost definatly has been in longer than I have - reaching the end of my first year)

Just wondering ARMY101 if you don't mind me asking what trade are you in. <--Infantry myself

Infantry eh? So am I. What unit?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dan031 dan031

@ARMY101 wrote

@dan031 wrote

Sorry for the extremely late reply (I had completely forgotten about this forum lol).

To answer your question I am an Argyll. I'm guessing you're a Cameron (not to familiar with the type of units in Ottawa).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dan031 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@dan031 wrote

Sorry for the extremely late reply (I had completely forgotten about this forum lol).

To answer your question I am an Argyll. I'm guessing you're a Cameron (not to familiar with the type of units in Ottawa).

Ottawa has both the Cameron Highlanders and the Governor General's Foot Guards.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dan031 dan031

@ARMY101 wrote

@dan031 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@dan031 wrote

Ottawa has both the Cameron Highlanders and the Governor General's Foot Guards.

Yes I thought I forgot about a unit.

Just out of curiosity which one do you belong to?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No comment for PERS SEC reasons ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@ARMY101 wrote
No comment for PERS SEC reasons ;)

Do you mind if I tell him? :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You don't know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Oh really? How soon they forget. :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dan031 dan031
It's quite alright if he doesn't want me to know lol :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@dan031 wrote
It's quite alright if he doesn't want me to know lol :batman:

Which is exactly why I should tell you. :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

QUEEN'S OWN RIFLES
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@arcchit wrote
QUEEN'S OWN RIFLES

What?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gecko Gecko
There is a third.

I was in the US Marines from 2004-2008 - Two tours in Iraq, and sailed the entire south Pacific with the Navy.
15th Marine Expeditionary Unit(SOC) - Combat Logistics Battalion-15
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jenzen Jenzen
How old must you be to join the Reserves? Can someone give me a link or tell me what I would have to do to join?

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dan031 dan031
You have to be 17 now (used to be 16 but they have recently changed that).

If you have any questions just ask but will probably not be able to answer your questions until next week as I am currently on a course with the reserves - I have weekend leave ATM though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jenzen wrote
How old must you be to join the Reserves? Can someone give me a link or tell me what I would have to do to join?

Thanks.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/theapplicationprocess-106
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted