yconic - Minimum Requirements - I seriously need help
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Minimum Requirements - I seriously need help

A photo of iLoveHouseMusic iLoveHouseMusic
I applied to a bunch of business undergraduate programs.

So far my grade 12 average is in low-mid 90s. However, I am not meeting minimum requirements for 1 course - English 12.
I got 81% in class but most likely I am going to get only 60-70% on provincial exam and my blended mark will be way lower than 80%.

For example, Queen's Commerce asks me to get minimum 80% in English 12. Will I get automatic rejection because of one course?
What if I'll decide to upgrade English 12 course?

I want to upgrade my English 12 course. However, the next Provincial exam I will be able to write is in June. By that time most universities will already make their final decision.

I need help
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of poeticallydemented poeticallydemented
The only thing about upgrading is that universities can see when you've decided to upgrade your mark - they put it in the fine print like "The University reserves the right to base judgement on first attempts" or to "recognize first attempts" etc etc. Did they ask for a minimum average in that specific course? Or for your average as a whole? If its that course they want over 80 in, then you're probably out of luck, or just hope that program didn't have many applicants. I'm not sure if they'll reject your application completely - they might just hold onto it until May and see what happens with the other applicants. Don't give up hope :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
You don't need to re-take it.
Just take the LPI.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
I'm not sure about Queen's policy for online courses, but if they accept them, then you could do it online.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^

You could do it online, but you would still have to re-write the provincial exam in June, but it will be too late by then since offers will be way over.
If you're planning to stay in BC, the best thing to do is write the LPI like I said.
If you're planning to leave the province, most universities have other alternatives, like their own English proficiency tests that you can take, or courses once you get into the university.
You should e-mail that specific university and ask, because policies differ from university to university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alyciap alyciap
why do you have so little confidence in keeping your mark at 80% by the end of the year? If you plan to enroll in a competitive program with high prerequisite marks, then you should apply yourself and go for the 80 mark on your upcoming final. The University experience is very different, and if your average is ~90 but you don't often study (that's how high school was for me) then you won't keep up in post-secondary unless your habits change rapidly.

I suggest talking to your teacher and explaining your problems with your grades. Ask for extra curricular assignments, for her to proof read your essays, and tips on how to get a better mark -- just show the work. It's how I managed to reach the prerequisite for my English 300 class this year, and it took a lot of hard work, but it's best to practice putting in effort ASAP.

It's always good to know the solution for the worst case scenario, just to ease your mind, but don't expect to have to use it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I remember going to a Queens presentation where the speaker said that they take best mark and there is no penalty on repeated courses. So you can always retake English in night school or online school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ianhnsy ianhnsy
In my school, you can take a 100% percent final, so your final exam accounts for your entire course mark. Ask your english reacher about it and just study really hard for your final?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iLoveHouseMusic iLoveHouseMusic
I want to go to one of the Ontario's universities.
I was told that LPI test is only valid in British Colubia (UBC/SFU/UVIC).
I can upgrade my English 12 class mark anytime; however, I can only write provincial exam twice a year and the next provincial exam will be in June. By that time most universities will already reject my application based on my old English 12 blended mark.
All business schools I applied to are very competitive (10-15 students/1 seat). I am a smart student and I will have no troubles maintaining 80-90% average in university. The only thing which stops me from university is English 12.
I already got admission offers from several European universities; however, I will have to reject them since I want to study in Canada.
At my school it is very hard to get a mark over 80% in English. In addition to that I am a newcomer and I had to work extra hard to be 2nd best student in the class. Provincial exam just killed all my incentives and hard work.

I emailed to Queen's and Schulich 2 weeks ago but never got a reply. I will try to contact admission offices over the phone.

thanks everyone and especially cyynthiia
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@alyciap wrote
why do you have so little confidence in keeping your mark at 80% by the end of the year? If you plan to enroll in a competitive program with high prerequisite marks, then you should apply yourself and go for the 80 mark on your upcoming final. The University experience is very different, and if your average is ~90 but you don't often study (that's how high school was for me) then you won't keep up in post-secondary unless your habits change rapidly.

I suggest talking to your teacher and explaining your problems with your grades. Ask for extra curricular assignments, for her to proof read your essays, and tips on how to get a better mark -- just show the work. It's how I managed to reach the prerequisite for my English 300 class this year, and it took a lot of hard work, but it's best to practice putting in effort ASAP.

It's always good to know the solution for the worst case scenario, just to ease your mind, but don't expect to have to use it!

Thank you for reading OP's post.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KateDorotheou KateDorotheou
I went to an Ontario high school and we dont have the provincial tests so Im not sure but you might not even need that mark to get in. I didnt need a provincial test to get into a BC school so you probably dont need the extra mark to get into an Ontario school, just the equivalent mark to that of an Ontario English 12.

However, if you do need it, Im sorry but they probably will reject your application outright if you dont have the appropriate mark. Queens is notoriously hard to get into.

Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0