yconic - MKV vs. UWP (Waterloo)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

MKV vs. UWP (Waterloo)

A photo of irvan913 irvan913
Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions regarding Waterloo's suite-style residence options...
My questions are directly mostly towards current UW Engineering students, preferably those who have staying in both MKV and UWP...

What are the big advantages/disadvantages of living in either residence (academics, social, accessibility, etc.) , aside from the obvious ones (i.e. suite specs.) and for first year engineering, stream 4S (winter work term), which would be the better choice and why?

Some specifics...

MKV:
-Is the distance from engineering buildings a BIG issue?
-How is the food nearby? (I'm Vegetarian)
-Are there ample services/resources to access, (i.e. frequent transit service to other campus locations and outside campus, etc.) ?

UWP:
-Which building is the best for a 2 or 3 room single-bed suite?
-What are the chances of being put into a UWP suite if I don't get MKV?
(I'll be specifying that I would like to live with friends in the same stream)

I would definitely prefer to live in a suite as opposed to traditional-style rez..

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@irvan913 wrote
Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions regarding Waterloo's suite-style residence options...
My questions are directly mostly towards current UW Engineering students, preferably those who have staying in both MKV and UWP...

What are the big advantages/disadvantages of living in either residence (academics, social, accessibility, etc.) , aside from the obvious ones (i.e. suite specs.) and for first year engineering, stream 4S (winter work term), which would be the better choice and why?

Some specifics...

MKV:
-Is the distance from engineering buildings a BIG issue?
-How is the food nearby? (I'm Vegetarian)
-Are there ample services/resources to access, (i.e. frequent transit service to other campus locations and outside campus, etc.) ?

Ehh, I've lived in UWP and V1 but not MKV, but I think I can answer these questions.

MKV is definitely less accessible. The distance from buildings isn't that much of a big deal if you don't mind walking, but you'll probably be spending twice the time walking to classes than if you were living in UWP.

You make your own food in suite-style, so I guess you are looking at caf food? The nearby food is at the V1 and REV cafs, which frankly is not the best. As a vegetarian, probably even worse. They have the vegetarian options but... bleh.

There is GRT just north of MKV on Columbia that I believe goes to the Davis Center, but I can't be 100% sure. I wouldn't be relying on transit to get to class unless you were in CLV anyhow. You can also take the 13 west to get to the Sobeys on Columbia for groceries, or go to DC and catch a bus to pretty much anywhere in Waterloo.

Academics in residence was something I never bought into--I always studied and did work on campus so I couldn't say.

@irvan913 wrote
UWP:
-Which building is the best for a 2 or 3 room single-bed suite?
-What are the chances of being put into a UWP suite if I don't get MKV?
(I'll be specifying that I would like to live with friends in the same stream)

I would definitely prefer to live in a suite as opposed to traditional-style rez..

Thanks!

The towers have the biggest single rooms. The bunk-bed rooms are pretty tiny. Single rooms in the courts also feel like closets, but the apartments in the courts (3/4 bedroom) are a bit spacier and nicer.

You may not get either residence at all, and get thrown in V1. You can't really say when it comes to the lottery. UWP is the largest residence community, and MKV the second smallest after CLV, so I couldn't really say. If you request roommates, you're much more likely to get an apartment, but then it's still up in the air which community you get. And I know lots of people who put CLV as their last choice and they still got it (though not as 4-stream, mind).

UWP is much much closer to the engineering buildings, and also nice and close to the university plaza which means lots of choice for prepared food if you don't feel like cooking. It's also actually on bus routes, unlike MKV, which makes it easier to get around the city, get groceries, etc. Though I know plenty of first years not into going off campus.

I would say both communities are similar for social life, perhaps the towers in UWP a little more lively.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BluePickle2 BluePickle2
How easy is it to get a single room in residence?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@BluePickle2 wrote

You mean traditional style? o__O

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@BluePickle2 wrote

There are very few shared rooms in residence, if that's what you mean. In most of UWP, MKV, CLV, and most of V1, you'll have your own room. But if you mean your own room completely independent of anyone else, V1 single rooms are the only place that offer this. Of course, then you have large communal bathrooms. The largest single rooms on campus are in V1.
Was this helpful? Yes 0