yconic - Multiple acceptances
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Multiple acceptances

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK
Quick Q...

I'm currently holding offers from both UofT and Mcgill, and haven't yet made up my mind, probably won't until i visit in a month or so by which time the acceptance deadlines have passed.

Is it possible to accept both offers of admission?

I know I will inevitably loose 1 deposit if i do so, but I don't have much choice tbh...

Cheers
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi OscarUK,

First off, congrats on getting in at both universities!!! :cheers:
Have you applied through OUAC (Ontario University Application Centre)?
If so, I don't believe you will be able to "accept" both universities at once... you can only have one acceptance at a time.
I don't even think the system will let you have both as "confirmed offer". The site knows that you can only be enrolled in one program next year, hence only allowing one acceptance. You can, however, accept one of the offers and not decline the other option until the very last minute... but I'm sure that won't help you with your dilemma.

On an other note: I've lived in Toronto and I can tell you that U of T is a great campus and very prestigious.
I guess your final decision will depend on a few factor: where you live (or want to reside) - so location, and what your looking for in terms of curriculum, student services, residence scene, etc...

I understand what you're going through... I was going through the same thing last month for my nursing program, but I got it all figured out now.

Good luck on everything! :tongue:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NerdmobileDriver NerdmobileDriver
Seeing as UofT is on OUAC and McGill is on Minerva, I'm pretty sure you can accept both because they are on different systems. Just keep in mind that you'll lose your $300 deposit if you choose not to attend McGill. However, if you're really unsure, then it's definitely a small price to pay for the extra time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cccormier wrote
Hi OscarUK,

First off, congrats on getting in at both universities!!! :cheers:
Have you applied through OUAC (Ontario University Application Centre)?
If so, I don't believe you will be able to "accept" both universities at once... you can only have one acceptance at a time.
I don't even think the system will let you have both as "confirmed offer". The site knows that you can only be enrolled in one program next year, hence only allowing one acceptance. You can, however, accept one of the offers and not decline the other option until the very last minute... but I'm sure that won't help you with your dilemma.

On an other note: I've lived in Toronto and I can tell you that U of T is a great campus and very prestigious.
I guess your final decision will depend on a few factor: where you live (or want to reside) - so location, and what your looking for in terms of curriculum, student services, residence scene, etc...

I understand what you're going through... I was going through the same thing last month for my nursing program, but I got it all figured out now.

Good luck on everything! :tongue:

Thanks a lot :)

Any opinions on either is really valuable at the mo ha

@NerdmobileDriver wrote
Seeing as UofT is on OUAC and McGill is on Minerva, I'm pretty sure you can accept both because they are on different systems. Just keep in mind that you'll lose your $300 deposit if you choose not to attend McGill. However, if you're really unsure, then it's definitely a small price to pay for the extra time.

This is what I was hoping, that the two systems wouldn't recognise each other; one advantage of this regional system in Canada over the centralised one we have here ;)

yeah the deposit is annoying, but as you say I think it will be a necessary loss ha.

Cheers
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xinzyl xinzyl
In the same dilemma, or should I say, trilemma as you are. Really wish McGill gives longer than just 1st May, but my parents will probably kill me if I do the pay double deposit thing :P

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23
I would say McGill, UofT is really hard to stay in but once you get past the first year you are pretty much safe. McGill is a really good school as well (may not be as well known as UT) but still very reputable.

If I were you got to McGill, there will be a lot less stress.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I was considering doing the double accepting thing as well (between Queen's and McGill), because yes, Minerva and OUAC do not recognize each other. In the end I decided on McGill though (:

And referring to the comment above, I am fairly sure that McGill is more recognized than U of T at the international level, and I believe the wouldn't be much of a difference stress wise seeing as they are both demanding academically. But all in all, they are both amazing schools (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of asdf098 asdf098
Does U of T have any sort of monetary enrollment deposit? I know that McGill and most American schools do this, but I haven't seen any information regarding deposits on OUAC or on the U of T site.

I've already accepted an offer to the University of Pennsylvania (Already sent my $400 deposit!) However, I am thinking of accepting a Canadian offer, just in case. In the highly unlikely case that I do something stupid to get my Penn offer rescinded, I want to have a backup -- probably U of T Engineering Science. I am aware that McGill has a deposit that accepted students must pay in order to guarantee their place in the class, but I don't see this kind of thing on OUAC. I'm wondering if I can accept U of T's offer and ... just not go.

Just to clarify, it's more of an issue of having a backup than being undecided. I've already decided on Penn, but I just want to have something to fall back upon if, for example, my parents realize during the next few months that they can no longer afford the $30,000-60,000/yr tuition, or something.

Does anyone know what happens when you accept an OUAC offer and end up not going? Other than residence, does U of T request some sort of deposit? Until I pay them some sort of money, they can't really penalize me financially. Has anybody actually done this / know people who have?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@asdf098 wrote
Does U of T have any sort of monetary enrollment deposit? I know that McGill and most American schools do this, but I haven't seen any information regarding deposits on OUAC or on the U of T site.

I've already accepted an offer to the University of Pennsylvania (Already sent my $400 deposit!) However, I am thinking of accepting a Canadian offer, just in case. In the highly unlikely case that I do something stupid to get my Penn offer rescinded, I want to have a backup -- probably U of T Engineering Science. I am aware that McGill has a deposit that accepted students must pay in order to guarantee their place in the class, but I don't see this kind of thing on OUAC. I'm wondering if I can accept U of T's offer and ... just not go.

Just to clarify, it's more of an issue of having a backup than being undecided. I've already decided on Penn, but I just want to have something to fall back upon if, for example, my parents realize during the next few months that they can no longer afford the $30,000-60,000/yr tuition, or something.

Does anyone know what happens when you accept an OUAC offer and end up not going? Other than residence, does U of T request some sort of deposit? Until I pay them some sort of money, they can't really penalize me financially. Has anybody actually done this / know people who have?

I confirmed both McGill and UofT, Mcgill had a deposit (I think it was $300) but UofT had nothing to pay just to accept the offer. So I think you should be fine accepting UofT, then if you decide not to go I guess you just decline it at a later stage.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jinxx jinxx
wait so there is no enrollment deposit for u of t? sure? how did u find out? i cant seem to find it anywhere on the web
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

@jinxx wrote
wait so there is no enrollment deposit for u of t? sure? how did u find out? i cant seem to find it anywhere on the web

yep, I found out by doing it ha. I accepted my offer the other day (along with Mcgill) and unless I missed something major, there was no fee for confirming the offer at uoft.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessicadonnan jessicadonnan
good luck picking a school OscarUK :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poeticallydemented poeticallydemented
The acceptance deadline for U of T and any Ontario University is June 2 so as long as you get your visits done by then you won't have to worry about anything! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0