yconic - Multivariable Calculus HELP!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Multivariable Calculus HELP!

A photo of jreid00 jreid00
i am self studying and i have a question. hope someone knows the answer!

if the directional derivative Df_(3/5, 4/5) (1,2) = 7 and Df_u (1,2) <= 7 for every unit vector u. what is Df_(-5,15) (1,2)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@jreid00 wrote
i am self studying and i have a question. hope someone knows the answer!

if the directional derivative Df_(3/5, 4/5) (1,2) = 7 and Df_u (1,2) <= 7 for every unit vector u. what is Df_(-5,15) (1,2)?

Most people on this forum are high schoolers or just finished first year, if you want help with math try asking on http://www.physicsforums.com/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BrownianMotion BrownianMotion

@jreid00 wrote
i am self studying

Nerd.

Anyways, you are in luck. You have my brilliance at your disposal.

What the question implies is that (3/5, 4/5) is the unit vector that maximizes the directional derivative of the function at the point (1,2). So it has to point in the same direction as the gradient. Additionally, the magnitude of the gradient is the rate of change of the function in this direction. So,

Therefore,

I may be hungover, but I am positive this is how to solve the problem posed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yes 63 is the correct answer. i just didn't know how to get it. thanks!

i have another question. :p

let D be the region inside the circle r = 2*cos theta and above the line y=x.

1) express the area of D as an iterated integral in polar coordinates.
2) evaluate the integral.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

First multiply by r to get x^2 + y^2 = r^2 = 2r cos theta = 2x. In other words, (x - 1)^2 + y^2 = 1 which represents a circle centered at (1,0) with radius 1. The line y=x crosses the circle at (0,0) and (1,1). So the area is

Who's yo daddeh?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

im not sure how u went from step 3 to 4...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

There's a trigonometric identity that says cos 2x = 2cos^2 (x) - 1. Rearranging, you have 2cos^2 (x) = cos 2x + 1.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thx!!! i could kiss you! :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

For some reason I thought you were a dude.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i am. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You have a mancrush on me. It's understandable. It's perfectly natural (even for heterosexual males - just as mynameismattgomlgo.) Just don't flood my PM with your lustful desires.

However, I will say that if I was gay, I would be the best gay lover out of all the gay people in the entire world. It's really a shame that gay people like yourself cannot experience what many broads have already experienced, and what many many many many more will experience in the future.

On a related note, this thread has taken a strange turn.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BrownianMotion wrote

However, I will say that if I was gay, I would be the best gay lover out of all the gay people in the entire world. It's really a shame that gay people like yourself cannot experience what many broads have already experienced, and what many many many many more will experience in the future.

haha whats that? erectile dysfunction? :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@BrownianMotion wrote
You have a mancrush on me. It's understandable. It's perfectly natural (even for heterosexual males - just as mynameismattgomlgo.) Just don't flood my PM with your lustful desires.

On a related note, this thread has taken a strange turn.

I want to be more like you
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I would advise against that. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0