yconic - Music EC's
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Music EC's

A photo of AlexC2010 AlexC2010
Hey guys,

Just wondering for universities that require supplementary applications (commerce programs/highly competitive programs like Western Ivey or Queens Commerce) if putting yourself as playing an instrument would count as an extracurricular. I'm not trying to find "filler," just making sure I put everything down that I can. I've played drums for 3 years now, probably about 5 hours a week. However, I'm self taught, so I don't know if that actually counts as something I can put.

Let me know your thoughts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I would still think it counts as an EC.
It IS extracurricular, something you do outside of school time.
But are you a part of any kind of band?
I don't know if it'd count since it's self-taught, though.

Anyhow, isn't it too late now? I thought supps were due ages ago, unless you already wrote it and am just asking to find out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AlexC2010 AlexC2010
Thanks for your response! I am not part of any band, unfortunately :(. And I'm not in my final year of high school, lets just say I'm already getting my ec's ready for applying next year :P. Thinking in advanced :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh haha, always good to prepared. :P
You should join your school band next year then.. you've already had all the years of practice/experience!
That way you know it'll be legit on your supps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@AlexC2010 wrote
Hey guys,

Just wondering for universities that require supplementary applications (commerce programs/highly competitive programs like Western Ivey or Queens Commerce) if putting yourself as playing an instrument would count as an extracurricular. I'm not trying to find "filler," just making sure I put everything down that I can. I've played drums for 3 years now, probably about 5 hours a week. However, I'm self taught, so I don't know if that actually counts as something I can put.

Let me know your thoughts.

I put playing flute for my school concert band as an EC on my Ivey app.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
That would be legit since you're on your school band.
But OP is self taught and isn't on a band so I don't know if they would consider it an actual EC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
Hey supp man,

I am a Drummer too. I am (and always was), however, part of many bands both in and out of school and I've played at a ton of concerts and shows. I've been playing Drums and other percussions and involved in Music since many years now, so a good part of my applications were filled with Music-related ECs.

In your case though, I don't think just "knowing" how to play an instrument would count as an EC. That's like saying, "I know how to draw, write, ride a bike, drive a car, etc... and I do these outside of school time." Lol, so yeah, I don't think just knowing how to do something would count as an EC...

What grade are you in btw?

As previous posts suggested, it's a good idea to start off by joining a school band.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
There's nothing that I would recommend that hasn't already been said here, but I agree with the others in that it's best to have something substantial for your drumming practice. I'm in the same boat as you are with piano -- except that I've earned a couple of music certificates, volunteer as a piano accompanist at my church, played at several honor recitals, and even soloed once at an internationally recognized arts venue outside of North America. I doubt it would have had the same effect if I just said that I played piano.
Was this helpful? Yes 0