yconic - My Chances? getting into U of T&Waterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

My Chances? getting into U of T&Waterloo

A photo of maelong maelong
Hi Im from calgary,alberta where universities only ask for 5courses
I have 86 in Chem
85 in Physics
90 in Math
will prob have 90 in Calculus
80 in ELA
average 86.2
i have applied to u of t-computer science as my first choice and chemical engineering as my second
i thought computer science would be easier to get in, so i put it as my first choice;was it a mistake?

APPLYING TO
UofT-CS, Chem Eng
Waterloo- Chem Eng
UofC-calgary

is mcgill (engineer) easier to get into than UT and Waterloo?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of krankd krankd
you should get into u of c for engineering (if that's what you're applying for), but I'm pretty sure that Waterloo asks for 6 courses; not too sure about u of t though. what would your 6th course be?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
I think for OOP students they only take 5, so he'll be fine. And I'm pretty sure computer science and engineering are completely different faculties, so why would the order matter? I think chem eng has one of the lower admission averages, but 86.2 is still a little risky. Try to get it to 88+ and you should be fine. I'm also going to assume you have half decent EC's.
And it's McGill* btw, and yes McGill is harder to get in for some disciplines, except maybe EngSci at U of T.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@iliketurtles wrote
I think for OOP students they only take 5, so he'll be fine. And I'm pretty sure computer science and engineering are completely different faculties, so why would the order matter? I think chem eng has one of the lower admission averages, but 86.2 is still a little risky. Try to get it to 88+ and you should be fine. I'm also going to assume you have half decent EC's.
And it's McGill* btw, and yes McGill is harder to get in for some disciplines, except maybe EngSci at U of T.

really> who says chem eng has one of the lower admission average?
and i heard order does matter. i think they give ppl who chose the course as 1st choice first, then remaining places go to ppl who chose the course as 2nd choice

i have joined 3school clubs, band, soccer team. r these good enough?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
No one told me per se, but at U of T, trackone/engsci/ECE/mechanical tend to have the higher averages. It doesn't mean it's better or anything, just there are less spots/more applicants/more demand etc. Chemical and civil are known to have somewhat lower admission averages than the rest. By "lower" i mean by maybe 1%, so it's not a drastic drop. lol.
And no that only matters if it's within the same field like engineering. Mechanical engineering and chemical engineering OK, you'd have to put one of them first or second. But computer science is not in the faculty of engineering, it's in arts and sciences so it does not matter. They are two completely different faculties so you will be considered equally for both regardless of what ranking you give it on OUAC. Unless you put one of them rank 1 and the other rank 15, it will not make a difference.
I don't know, it depends how well you write about them? I'd worry more about your average, just try to get it to 87-88 and you will be much better off than having the same average but having 3 more clubs to add onto your SPF I feel.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Paridhi Paridhi
Hey Maelong, im from Calgary too!

Generally for u of t they have a high average. Last years engineering admission average was 89.6%
For other universities and faculties, google CUDO, go to the council of ontario universities' website, click on ur university and search for last year's admission averages for faculties under section B. this should help!

Btw, which school are you from? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Paridhi wrote
Hey Maelong, im from Calgary too!

Generally for u of t they have a high average. Last years engineering admission average was 89.6%
For other universities and faculties, google CUDO, go to the council of ontario universities' website, click on ur university and search for last year's admission averages for faculties under section B. this should help!

Btw, which school are you from? :)

wow it's nice to meet someone from Calgary,,,all of them in here are in ontario i think
do i actually need like 89% to get in? i go to bishop o byrne :cheese:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Paridhi Paridhi
Well if you look at the statistics, about 29% (I believe) of entrants had a 85-89 average range, so maybe anything over 85 and you should have a good chance for engineering. :)

Sweet! I go to Western. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0