yconic - My chances of CS or engineering?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

My chances of CS or engineering?

A photo of EnviousX EnviousX
well.. I'm one of the many guys who wants to be an engineer but don't have the marks..
I eat, sleep and breathe computers. Ive built many before and done quite a bit of java programming. I've always wanted to be a computer engineer, or study any type of engineering really. But.. My marks are HORRIBLE. I've been trying hard, but I just can't make it where I want to be where I was in grade 9. My marks right now:

English : idk yet but I can pull off an easy 80+
Advanced Functions: something around a 71 after my last test =|
Philosophy: tough course, getting a 76 so far.
Spare : I wish this counted as a mark -.-
Calculus: idk yet but looking at my adv functions mark, I doubt my chances of success.
Chemistry: 78 =\
Physics: idk yet but I love Physics I think I can pull of atleast an 80.
Writers craft: blahh, idk yet. I think I can get an easy 80 as well.

I've heard of people getting rejected with 85+ avgs. I'm scared as hell... So what should I do.. I can't goto college cause it'll be a disgrace on my family apparently... (my dad did engineering, mom did MBA) however I'm open to learning anything and everything. I mean if I had to switch my path to business I wouldn't mind. I have heard that UTM you only need mid 70s for comp sci?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
Your changes are slim, Tim.
Here's the thing - if you can't handle getting great marks in high school with the "tough" courses you have, what makes you think you'll actually be able to handle and engineering program in university?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@rightsaidfred wrote
Your changes are slim, Tim.
Here's the thing - if you can't handle getting great marks in high school with the "tough" courses you have, what makes you think you'll actually be able to handle and engineering program in university?

Well, I guess your right but then what am I supposed to do then...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SOCCERFAN SOCCERFAN
I think you are ok for the cs of ryerson/utsc/utm/york;
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
UOIT is also an option seeing your obvious interest in technology and computers.

Can I also recommend a tutor? It might help you get your math marks in the 80 range
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Interested in Computers?
How come you didn't take any CS or Comp Eng courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iRamie wrote
Interested in Computers?
How come you didn't take any CS or Comp Eng courses?

I would if I could. School doesn't offer grade 12 CEng or CS. I got a 97 in ICS3U though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imaginaryengineer imaginaryengineer

well.. I'm one of the many guys who wants to be an engineer but don't have the marks..
I eat, sleep and breathe computers. Ive built many before and done quite a bit of java programming. I've always wanted to be a computer engineer, or study any type of engineering really. But.. My marks are HORRIBLE. I've been trying hard, but I just can't make it where I want to be where I was in grade 9. My marks right now:

You can still get into universities such as ryerson, guelph or carleton. Dont worry about calc certain people perform better in calc then adv functions. At the end of the day you can still become an engineer you just may not receive your degree from a "prestigious" school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0