yconic - My Grade 12 Schedule
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

My Grade 12 Schedule

A photo of apex123 apex123
This semester I have:

Chemistry
Advanced Functions
Physics
Lunch
Spare

Next Semester I have:

Business Leadership
Spare
Lunch
English
Calculus

Should I take an additional course next semester so I can boost my average? I am planning to apply to computer science/ software engineering programs.

Please help me out :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of emcee0 emcee0
Okay first of all your first semester looks killer, if I had to take courses like that I would probably end up wanting to kill myself..lol, I would not last. I would definately keep a spare for this semester, and if you are thinking about taking an extra course next semester consider taking an easier course like another history or geography or a social science/humanities course like philosphy or maybe an extra english credit.

It depends how you are with writing essays and enjoy learning about humanities. These classes usually are not bird courses and can sometimes boost you're average. Although a con to this may be if you are juggling multiple math and science courses , these extra courses may not feel like a priority. If humanities isn't your think consider taking another elective course that suits your interests.

My last advice is that it's a good idea to take at least 7 courses in grade 12 because you should have one back up course in case you end up screwing up a mark in a more challenging course.

I hope that my opinion was at least somewhat helpful to you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@emcee0 wrote
Okay first of all your first semester looks killer, if I had to take courses like that I would probably end up wanting to kill myself..lol, I would not last. I would definately keep a spare for this semester, and if you are thinking about taking an extra course next semester consider taking an easier course like another history or geography or a social science/humanities course like philosphy or maybe an extra english credit.

It depends how you are with writing essays and enjoy learning about humanities. These classes usually are not bird courses and can sometimes boost you're average. Although a con to this may be if you are juggling multiple math and science courses , these extra courses may not feel like a priority. If humanities isn't your think consider taking another elective course that suits your interests.

My last advice is that it's a good idea to take at least 7 courses in grade 12 because you should have one back up course in case you end up screwing up a mark in a more challenging course.
I hope that my opinion was at least somewhat helpful to you.

I agree strongly with this, but you should keep in mind that the 7th course is not going to save you from screwing up in a mandatory course such as English.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you think it's possible to manage physics, advanced functions and chem all in one semester?

I'm not too worried about advanced functions because I did the course in advance over the summer (with a tutor).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@apex123 wrote
Do you think it's possible to manage physics, advanced functions and chem all in one semester?

I'm not too worried about advanced functions because I did the course in advance over the summer (with a tutor).

Possible? Yes. Easily? Not quite. My friend who had Calculus, Physics, Chemistry and Data Management survived but felt he was screwed when it came time for his projects to be due in chemistry and data.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@apex123 wrote

Possible? Yes. Easily? Not quite. My friend who had Calculus, Physics, Chemistry and Data Management survived but felt he was screwed when it came time for his projects to be due in chemistry and data.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah, I'm obviously not expecting this to be easy.

However, I am willing to put in the effort and time into my courses...

So what do you think I should do?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hannena hannena

@apex123 wrote

I had physics, chemistry, and functions along with another course last year. It's really not that hard to manage. Those courses aren't work heavy, just concept heavy. Work on understanding rather then doing every single question the teacher assigns you.

Especially since you have a spare this semester, it'll be easier to manage! Honestly, I still hold to the advice that you should not do every question! You have to pick and choose until you understand, then it's a breeze!

Good luck :)

On your other thought about adding another course, I say it depends. If you know you can do good on the courses that you have then don't bother. You'll have tons of extra time with a spare to really understand and work on your main courses then filling your spare with another course adding on more work. But, if you think you may have a course that might bring you down then go for it. It can really help you out for top 6 marks if that's the case! Choose an easy course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0