yconic - My marks- advice plz?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

My marks- advice plz?

A photo of omgamidead omgamidead
The University of waterloo requires that i have at least a 70% in advanced functions for the lifes science program that i applied to. If i got a 65% as a final mark, would they ignore my application. What if my overall average (6 courses) was 80+?

I checked their site and it said that 70% was "normally required". Does that mean if i get lower than that, it'd still be o.k?

Plz reply as soon as possible. I'm so stressed out i can't even think properly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of jzliu jzliu
uhh... I think that means minimum 70 in any course... call them and make sure
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh, you mean in all of the 6 courses that they're considering?

And if my semester 1 average was like 78%, and the average i need to get into uni is high 70s/low 80s, do u think i still have a chance? I applied to life sci programs at uoft, waterloo, and york.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorLawyerDentist DoctorLawyerDentist

@omgamidead wrote
Oh, you mean in all of the 6 courses that they're considering?

And if my semester 1 average was like 78%, and the average i need to get into uni is high 70s/low 80s, do u think i still have a chance? I applied to life sci programs at uoft, waterloo, and york.

I believe it is usually the case that you need 70% in each top 6. However, I've only looked into engineering or computer programs. You should call them and ask about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu
oh wow... thats um... difficult seeing your marks are borderline :(

how are your ECs... and did you fill all your supplementaries?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
You don't need Adv. Func for Waterloo?
You just need a 70 in CALCULUS by the end of the year.
I don't know about the mark thing though, I'm well above 70 so I didn't have to worry about it.
I would call Waterloo and ask.
Same goes for U of T.. they require at least 70 too.
I also applied for both and got into both, but I have above 70 in both courses.
For Life Sci, I would say you need at LEAST 86 for U of T.. mid-80s for Waterloo.. not too sure about York.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No, i checked einfo and it said i needed at least a 70% in calc, advanced fns, and eng.

My english mark's a 90%
My calc mark's gonna be around 85% if i keep it up
But my advanced fns mark's rlly low lol

And on the einfo site, it said that i only needed a high 70 to get into the life sci program at waterloo.

You think I'll be o.k if my 6 course average is going to be 82-86?

82 with advanced and 86 without?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Are you sure?
because I have the viewbook in front of me right now and this is what it says for Life Sci:
English 12, Calculus 12 (or AP Calc 12), and 2 of: bio 12, chem 12, geology 12, phys 12, OR math 12.
I don't think einfo is as accurate as the Waterloo site itself, should probably get it on their site.. but I don't think the viewbook would lie to me.
I am from BC though, but I don't think that makes a difference.

I think you have a pretty good chance for regular admission with an 82 even.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh wait, forget what I said.
Ontario students do need Adv Functions (Math 12).
But nonetheless, I still think you have a good chance with an 82.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

lol thx.

Actually, i've been asking around my school and i heard u have to take a test to actually start going to school there if the marks they specified u had to get at least 70 in, u couldn't.

So, i'm thinking its like a make up test? lol don't know if its true or not though
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I would have no clue, you should call up Waterloo and ask them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu

@omgamidead wrote
lol thx.

Actually, i've been asking around my school and i heard u have to take a test to actually start going to school there if the marks they specified u had to get at least 70 in, u couldn't.

So, i'm thinking its like a make up test? lol don't know if its true or not though

That's only for one program, AFM. For others no. Just marks and AIF. But you do need to pass an English proficiency exam first year or they force you to take an English course... the passing mark is 60 and the average rate of failure is around 67% meaning two thirds of people fail...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
If they say you need a 70 in a course, you need a 70 in the course - not 65. Your other marks don't matter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
No, it's all about your average at the end of the day.. Even if you have that 65 they'll consider you since your average is high
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Qq wrote
No, it's all about your average at the end of the day.. Even if you have that 65 they'll consider you since your average is high

Some programs/schools have specific grades that you have to have in certain courses to be accepted into a program. It happened to me last year so I had to upgrade a course because my chemistry mark was too low, even though my average would have been high enough.

So even if your average is high enough, but if you don't have the 70% that they tell you you have to have in a certain course you're out of luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

On electronic info for Waterloo life sciences:
Ontario Secondary School Prerequisites
MHF4U, MCV4U, any 4U English, (a final grade of at least 70% is normally required in each of these courses); any two of SBI4U, SCH4U, SES4U, MCM4U, or SPH4U. Recommended: SCH4U, SPH4U.

I would assume that that means that you CAN get in with less than a 70% in those courses, but you should definitely call the school about it since schools sometimes require an interview/test. I also would think that it means it's rare to get in with less than a 70 in it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What you say makes sense but I was thinking if I do rlly good in calculus, which requires adv. as a prerequesite then they can overlook my low adv mark.

But yea I think I should call them to make sure.

Thx for the help!

Was this helpful? Yes 0