yconic - My Ontario high school average, business programs, and when do universities check report cards
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

My Ontario high school average, business programs, and when do universities check report cards

A photo of PimpsOut PimpsOut
Right now I am in my grade 12 year in an Ontario high school.
My average at this point looks like:
Calculus: 93
Advanced Functions: 93
Economics: 92
Chemistry: 89
English: 75 (give or take 1/2 marks)
and another Economics course: 92

So my average at this point looks like: 89

I applied to Rotman and McGill's commerce programs, so I am wondering what the cut off average is for both programs. Also, when does McGill and Rotman ask for the transcript of our marks (like, do they both look at your 1st semester final marks in grade 12 only, or do they also look at your 2nd semester mid-term report cards as well)?

I might boost that economics and chemistry marks into the 93-95s range and the English mark into the 78-79 range, so I could, potentially, be with a 92 average by 2nd semester mid-term of the grade 12 year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of illuminati illuminati
McGill has a 91 cutoff for top 6. You'll need to jack those marks up in a hurry before the end of your midterm.
Rotman has no cut-off so I think you'll do fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@illuminati wrote
McGill has a 91 cutoff for top 6. You'll need to jack those marks up in a hurry before the end of your midterm.

Is that the cutoff or the average percent of last year's entrants?? :S

EDIT: And if I do have that average my mid-terms of 2nd semester, would I still fare a chance at making McGill's commerce program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@PimpsOut wrote

@illuminati wrote

EDIT: And if I do have that average my mid-terms of 2nd semester, would I still fare a chance at making McGill's commerce program?

Any avg below the cutoff (i.e.: 91% for your top 6) and McGill will automatically deny you admissions.

I don't think making the cut-off guarantees you admissions in the case that they have more applicants with 91+ than they can admit. They'll have to be more selective and look at your english mark (if it falls below 80, for instance) and decide you're not cut for McGill management, but I think McGill would have better reason to cut students if they see a low score for any of the math courses in your top 6.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@illuminati wrote

@PimpsOut wrote

@illuminati wrote

Any avg below the cutoff (i.e.: 91% for your top 6) and McGill will automatically deny you admissions.

I don't think making the cut-off guarantees you admissions in the case that they have more applicants with 91+ than they can admit. They'll have to be more selective and look at your english mark (if it falls below 80, for instance) and decide you're not cut for McGill management, but I think McGill would have better reason to cut students if they see a low score for any of the math courses in your top 6.

+ 1

^ He knows his stuff.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@illuminati wrote

Thanks for the info. man! Greatly appreciated.

One last question, does Western's AEO look at your 2nd semester mid-term gradings/percentages, and offer you, potentially, acceptance letters based on them?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@PimpsOut wrote

@illuminati wrote

Thanks for the info. man! Greatly appreciated.

One last question, does Western's AEO look at your 2nd semester mid-term gradings/percentages, and offer you, potentially, acceptance letters based on them?

From Ivey's website, "Ivey AEO decisions are made as we receive, from Western's Registrar’s Office, admission averages and notification that you have been admitted to Western. AEO applications are carefully reviewed on mid-term grades in Grade 12 courses, demonstrated leadership, involvement in extracurricular activities, essays, etc. As a result, most of the AEO decisions are made in April and May."
So to answer your question, YES.
Was this helpful? Yes 0