yconic - My options with OSAP?
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

My options with OSAP?

A photo of DavidG91 DavidG91
Hello everyone.

Here's a somewhat detailed account of my current situation and questions:

I'l be turning 20 in November. Last year I spent one year in a General Arts & Science program as I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted to go into. Now I do - Public Relations. I have applied, and been accepted to the program at Algonquin College. I have roughly $3000.00 due in tuition mid-July.

Herein lies my issue, money. Everything I had in savings, I spent last year on the GAS program. I'm broke. I'm back in my hometown for now living with my parents rent free. I'm currently unemployed as it's a small town and job opportunities can be scarce, but things are beginning to look hopeful.

Sorry for rambling. The Heart of the issue is This.

My parents are above the salary 'cap' for OSAP applications. For personal, and extremely complicated reasons, they are at the same time, entirely unwilling to financially assist me in my educational endeavours from this point forward.

So, how do I pay for the next 2 years (minimum, probably something like 4 when I'm done) of my education? I'm ineligible for an OSAP loan because of the money they make. They would not co-sign a bank loan for me under any circumstance.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. This has been eating away at me for a long time, and it has been a while since I've heard anything hopeful.

Thanks in advance,

Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies
A photo of applexo applexo
I know people have probably already suggested it, but I would continue to suggest that you should contact the OSAP office. This world makes exceptions for everything and policies can ALWASY be changed for certain circumstances...believe me, I know that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
1. Get a loan from a bank.

2. Work (making $3000 in 3 months isn't hard...)

3. You can appeal to OSAP to explain your situation. They may make an exception.

4. You can officially emancipate yourself from your parents, meaning they legally no longer have anything to do with you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0