yconic - My Queen's Predicament
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

My Queen's Predicament

A photo of ScaredStudent ScaredStudent
Hey guys, so I applied to the Queen's Commerce program (as did many here), but I've been freaking out for a while and am wondering if it's worth it to continue.

My current marks for grade 12 are

88 - English
91 - Business Leadership
86 - Economics
89 - Data Management
69 - Advanced Functions (WOAH! right?)

Because of my super low mark in advanced functions I switched into calculus for my second semester since Queen's Commerce requires 2 university maths and an english with an 80 in all, so if I switched into calculus and got above an 80 id still be fine right?

my current courses with my current marks are

100 - Drama (probably 95 for midterm)
93 - International Business (probably 91 for midterm)
79 - Calculus (almost there!)

I really am not a fan of calculus and advanced functions and now realize that the only program I applied to that requires them is Queen's Commerce. (ivey only needs data)

My average in grade 11 was in the 70s since I didn't see the point in trying, so because of that I haven't been accepted anywhere yet.

I think my essays for Queen's Commerce were brilliant (not to toot my own horn), although when I was finishing near the deadline I was cutting down words and cut down a "the", which actually ruins the grammar of the sentence (My application of business knowledge in various situations has made me confident that *THE* Queen’s Commerce program will provide the right path for me.)

in terms of extra-curriculars, I have
student council president
vice president of enhanced council
vice president of amnesty international
mentor captain
1st dan black belt in karate
starter for varsity lacrosse
purple belt in brazilian jiu jitsu
advanced 2 drummer
2 years model UN
2 years deca

Do I stand a chance for the commerce program, or would I benefit from dropping calculus and focusing on my other classes so I can have a better shot at ivey?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Your math marks need to be higher. At least mid 80s. Especially since Queen's Commerce requires a minimum of 80% in Calculus (I think?). But your other marks are alright so if you can raise your math marks you definitely have a shot!

Dropping one class isn't going to majorly affect your grades. I mean Queen's requires Calculus so I'd continue with it and you did very well in data.

Overall I'd say you do stand a chance, but don't get your heart set on it just yet because there are many other good schools like Laurier, McMaster and Ryerson who will accept you with those marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
I think you have a good chance. Just keep your math mark above 80% and 87%+ average and I don't see what they will hold against you. If they wanted more than that, they would have stated it. Queen's cares more about ECs and your essays than your marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I can't really up my functions mark since it's already complete, but I'm definitely pushing to get my Calculus mark higher. Math isn't my strong suit and I am putting in the effort, but even then an 82 or 83% I think is the highest I can hope for.

It's looking like my school choice is Queen's Commerce>Western Ivey>McGill General>Laurier Business

Even if my functions mark isn't part of my top six, can Queen's still look at it and I guess wonder "wtf?"
That, in combination with my awful grade 11 marks, is what worries me the most.
The "the" I deleted in my commerce essay worries me as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ScaredStudent wrote
I can't really up my functions mark since it's already complete, but I'm definitely pushing to get my Calculus mark higher. Math isn't my strong suit and I am putting in the effort, but even then an 82 or 83% I think is the highest I can hope for.

It's looking like my school choice is Queen's Commerce>Western Ivey>McGill General>Laurier Business

Even if my functions mark isn't part of my top six, can Queen's still look at it and I guess wonder "wtf?"
That, in combination with my awful grade 11 marks, is what worries me the most.
The "the" I deleted in my commerce essay worries me as well.

Queen's says, "English 4U, Calculus and Vectors 4U, one additional 4U course in Mathematics with minimum English and Mathematics grades of 80%. No more than two 4M courses may be used from any discipline (Arts, Business Studies, Canadian and World Studies, Languages, Math and Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities, Health and Physical Education, or Technological Education)."

http://www.queensu.ca/admission/apply/firstyear/requirements/Program/business.html

I'm sure Ivey will be almost identical to Queen's in terms of requirements. BMOS, on the other hand, will probably accept you. That leaves you a chance of getting into Ivey although your average will have to be higher than 80%...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

"English 4U, Calculus and Vectors 4U, one additional 4U course in Mathematics with minimum English and Mathematics grades of 80%"

so english, check, calculus, almost check, one additional 4u course, data management, so check?

when they say minimum english and math grades of 80 do they mean all courses (including my functions) or all that are part of my top 6 (calculus and data)?

I know Ivey only requires one math (my data mark), which means my top 6 for ivey would be an estimated (91 + 89 + 95 + 91 + 88 + 86) 90 average.

Whereas with queens, if I were to get an 80 in calculus, my top 6 would be (91 + 89 + 95 + 91 + 88 + 80) 89 average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hmm ya what you're saying makes sense...

I really don't know. I have assumed it's a minimum of 80% in all you mathematics and english classes...but what you're saying makes sense too so that could be the case as well.

I know for sure that Queen's takes your top 6 U/M class marks. Now, regardless of the mark, english, and math will be in those.

So really I'm not too sure...I would ask a guidance counsellor and see if they have a definitive answer (and judge how sure they are). If they seem unsure I'm sure you could call Queen's and get an answer.

You should post it here though because that's a very valid question.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
Queen's will only judge you based on your top 6. Any maths beyond the top 6 (i.e. advanced functions in your case) will not be looked at.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lemony wrote
Queen's will only judge you based on your top 6. Any maths beyond the top 6 (i.e. advanced functions in your case) will not be looked at.

My guidance councillor said the same thing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0