yconic - My situation....... Really want to hear some opinions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

My situation....... Really want to hear some opinions

A photo of baller25 baller25
Ok,So I've applied for 3 different engineering programs this year at Ryerson. My overall average for this semester is descent and slightly just above the average I need to be considered for an acceptance.

But the only problem is that I've just finished my exams, and it doesn't look like my Advanced functions marks is gonna be too good and Ryerson says Minimum grades in each of MHF4U and SPH4U prerequisites (normally 65-70%)will be determined by the Faculty of Engineering, subject to competition.

My Projected marks for this semester:

FSF4U - 85%
ENG4U- 80%
MHF4U- 63-64% (uh ooh!)

I'm I pretty much screwed now?

I'm Freaking out right now, Would appreciate any Opinions. Thanks !:!:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
First off, try not to freak out, 'cause believe me, that won't do anything (:

I would suggest maybe talking to your Advanced Functions teacher or your Guidance department to see if there is anything you can do to get your marks up. Maybe they'll let you do extra assignments or redo a test or something of the like. Also, you could probably get into contact with the admissions rep at Ryerson or the person in charge of the programs you want to get into, and chat with them about your options.

Other than that, your other marks seem to be pretty good. Just make sure you keep them in the 80s at least so you have a better chance of getting and/or keeping a high average.

Remember, stay positive. You can do this! (:

Hope this helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Or you could re-take it next semester if your schedule allows you to...
Or take it in night school or whatever it is that you eastern kids have!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

don't worry bout it
if you do well in calculus they'll completely discount your advanced functions mark as a bad student/teacher combination, bad teacher, or simply extenuating circumstances
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JasmineJutai JasmineJutai
Talk to your teacher about doing some extra work to up your marks. Also talk to Ryerson reps to see what they have to say.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@baller25 wrote
Ok,So I've applied for 3 different engineering programs this year at Ryerson. My overall average for this semester is descent and slightly just above the average I need to be considered for an acceptance.

But the only problem is that I've just finished my exams, and it doesn't look like my Advanced functions marks is gonna be too good and Ryerson says Minimum grades in each of MHF4U and SPH4U prerequisites (normally 65-70%)will be determined by the Faculty of Engineering, subject to competition.

My Projected marks for this semester:

FSF4U - 85%
ENG4U- 80%
MHF4U- 63-64% (uh ooh!)

I'm I pretty much screwed now?

I'm Freaking out right now, Would appreciate any Opinions. Thanks !:!:

Having a low math mark is one thing, but unable to do maths is something else. You're getting mid-60s in math and yet not only do you want to go to university, but you're also trying to enroll in an engineering program? I don't know which particular flavor of engineering you're going to end up in, but integrals and differential equations are ubiquitous in many engineering disciplines. If you don't ace calculus next semester then you should seriously reconsider your post-secondary options.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of baller25 baller25
I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on my situation. I do have Calculus , Physics and Chemistry this semester coming up. If I do well in those, you think it will cancel out with the Advanced Functions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0