yconic - Nano @ Waterloo, hype or hope?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Nano @ Waterloo, hype or hope?

A photo of Sky7ar Sky7ar
thoughts? why have you applied to this program? what's so good about it? any current students?
the only good thing i've heard so far is that they're having a new building related to nanotech.
is it better to switch out to another eng program like ECE, or will I be able to do that?

on a side note, this offer came quite surprisingly this morning, since i've got CS as my alternative earlier. my average's around 90 and my AIF's pretty poor(imo)with few or no real ECs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey, I don't know much about nanotech but I hear it's difficult to find jobs for coop in your first few coop terms. You'll probably be looking for jobs that aren't directly related to your job field. However, I wouldn't let that deter you from choosing Nanotech. Maybe try going to Waterloo and asking some of the students there. There's an open house coming up on the 28th, it's pretty tight to the 30th deadline but if you can go it'll definitely help you make your decision. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sky7ar Sky7ar

@Impasse wrote
Hey, I don't know much about nanotech but I hear it's difficult to find jobs for coop in your first few coop terms. You'll probably be looking for jobs that aren't directly related to your job field. However, I wouldn't let that deter you from choosing Nanotech. Maybe try going to Waterloo and asking some of the students there. There's an open house coming up on the 28th, it's pretty tight to the 30th deadline but if you can go it'll definitely help you make your decision. :)

thanks for your input, and yes, that's what i've heard too. i'll probably go to cs but i see quite a lot ppl have also applied nano on this forum and that makes me ponder there must be sth good about this program, plus, it requires a pretty high admission average.
as for open house... im living in BC :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zaidpass zaidpass
Hey man I applied to the same program and I got rejected. Whats your average and what extra-curriculars did you do. Mine was a 91.6% average
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sky7ar Sky7ar

@zaidpass wrote
Hey man I applied to the same program and I got rejected. Whats your average and what extra-curriculars did you do. Mine was a 91.6% average

i guess it's 90.8, and i only have volunteering and one sport team plus some hobbies as i recall. I also have Euclid, but forgot my mark (left empty). can u tell me why did u apply to this program? what do u like about it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I choose it becaues I know nano is going to be the future. We always want to discover new things. I want to do nano and and focus my career on medicine/biology.

Everything in the world is going smaller so nano is definately needed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sky7ar Sky7ar

@zaidpass wrote
I choose it becaues I know nano is going to be the future. We always want to discover new things. I want to do nano and and focus my career on medicine/biology.

Everything in the world is going smaller so nano is definately needed.

well said & that's what i thought too. but now im losing some faith in the program after hearing/reading some negative comments
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
It's a pretty competitive program to get into, but youll definitely have a good time with the class that youll be with. The thing about nanotech right now is that it's not too big right now- so you'll ptobably have a hard time finding coop opportunities in your first few work terms. A lot of effort is being put into research right now for nanotech because itll definitely be the next big thing.

on a side note, that building has been in construction for at least 3 or 4 years, blocking traffic around the math building.. so it better be nice -.-
Was this helpful? Yes 0

IMO I dont see why you should do this as an undergrad program. Its a little to specific since most jobs in nanotech at the moment are in research. Correct me if im wrong but isnt nanotech a specialization of materials engineering? Im not saying its a bad degree because it isnt i just think right now its still meant for a graduate degree. But hey what do i know maybe in a few years the nano industry will be huge?

Also more generalized engineering degrees like mech, electrical and chemical will give you more options. But if you know this is what you want to do for the rest of your life then go for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@pj2121 wrote
IMO I dont see why you should do this as an undergrad program. Its a little to specific since most jobs in nanotech at the moment are in research. Correct me if im wrong but isnt nanotech a specialization of materials engineering? Im not saying its a bad degree because it isnt i just think right now its still meant for a graduate degree. But hey what do i know maybe in a few years the nano industry will be huge?

Also more generalized engineering degrees like mech, electrical and chemical will give you more options. But if you know this is what you want to do for the rest of your life then go for it.

I totally agree with this person. This is why I choose ENG SCI as my main program and Materials Engineering as my second option because you can specialize in your later undergrad years. Materials is a more general form of Nanotech Engineering. I plan to go to UofT Materials Eng and specialize into nano or Bioengineering in my 3rd and 4th years.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of k4show k4show
Offtopic but do these statements apply also to mechatronics engineering?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@k4show wrote
Offtopic but do these statements apply also to mechatronics engineering?

Mechatronics isnt as researched based like nanotech. I still think doing a degree in mechanical or electrical and then specialize would be better since your able to do other fields and most employers have heard of these degrees.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sky7ar Sky7ar

@pj2121 wrote

Mechatronics isnt as researched based like nanotech. I still think doing a degree in mechanical or electrical and then specialize would be better since your able to do other fields and most employers have heard of these degrees.

can I switch to ECE after i accept the offer (nano)?? or sometime in first year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0