yconic - Nanotech or Engsci?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Nanotech or Engsci?

A photo of pandasbox pandasbox
The age old question: which is better?

I like U of T's curriculum better, I don't really enjoy co-op. My goal is to go to grad school.

On the other hand I really like the nanotechnology, stuff like quantum phys is really up my alley.

To those who have started uni, which program is better?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of inyoface inyoface
I'm not sure what you mean by nanotech but there is a nano option in engsci as far as I know. Although things may potentially be different by the time you can choose that option.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zaidpass zaidpass
Waterloo's Engineeering program is based around Co-op. I like it a lot since it gives you alot of work-experience and money. My brother is becoming a software engineering from there and he has already worked at IBM, Sunlife Insurance and CIBC.

If you don't like co-op I would say go to Eng sci. They have the nanotechnology major in 3rd and 4th year. If you are a bit confused, you always have year and 1 and two to decide what major you might want. Eng Sci will give you more options, such as Biomedical and Aerospace in the 3rd and fourth year. They also have a PEY program which is optional for 4th year students. Its a year and half long paid internship, so if you don't like the system of co-op you still have the chance to do PEY since its optional.

Waterloo also just made a new building for quantum and nanotechnology, thats pretty cool to me.

If you care about rankings, UofT is ranked #1 in Canada for Engineering and 13th in the world. It even hit #8 last year.

Both universities are amazing and will get you a job right after you graduate. I personally like co-op alot so I would choose Waterloo, but at the same time I want to stay downtwon @ St.George.

Hard decision and good luck !
Was this helpful? Yes 0