yconic - Nanotechnology Waterloo vs Mechatronics McMaster
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Nanotechnology Waterloo vs Mechatronics McMaster

A photo of shahrukh shahrukh
Simple pros and cons

I just need to decide which one is better.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
Nice username, I'm a big fan of him too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of Phase Phase
I don't really recommend the nanotech engineering program. I personally know a nanotech grad who cannot find any jobs and is planning to go back to school. To paraphrase them, "There are no jobs in Nano. All the jobs go to the physicists, chemists, materials science and chemical engineers.". Tron is good, but you're still kind of pigeonholing yourself by specializing as early as undergrad.

What exactly is it that you want to do?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of adamwhall adamwhall

@Phase wrote
I don't really recommend the nanotech engineering program. I personally know a nanotech grad who cannot find any jobs and is planning to go back to school. To paraphrase them, "There are no jobs in Nano. All the jobs go to the physicists, chemists, materials science and chemical engineers.". Tron is good, but you're still kind of pigeonholing yourself by specializing as early as undergrad.

It's true. There are not many jobs for specifically Nanotech engineers. I am at Queen's University right now and I'm in the engineering Physics program (an awesome program I may add) but I'm also doing a dual degree in chemistry. I will be at school for 5 years but when I graduate I have 2 degrees, my B.SC in Chemistry and my B.Eng in engineering physics.

Alot of the jobs in nanotech are in research and if you don't have the superior background in sciences then your not going to be as valuable to a research team as compared with an engineer. Nanotech is also a massive field. It covers everything from material sciences to electronics to aviation to cellular biology and a huge number of other things. Try to research which part of nanotech you are most interested in and then look over your options again.

Nanotech and mechatronics are very different fields. If you can't choose one, you should maybe go into a more general engineering area (like mech, elec, or even phys) and then specify later on down the road.

That's my 2 cents worth anyway.

Was this helpful? Yes 0