yconic - Need an honest perspective
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Need an honest perspective

A photo of bluehairedpeople bluehairedpeople
k so i just my marks, i'm really upset about some of them because i worked pretty hard this year and some marks don't show that, one exception anthro, anyways i really want to apply for animal biology at guelph next year and these are only my gr.11 marks but i will use some of them obviously you need 6.

English 84
Functions 89
Biology 90
Chemistry 83
Physics 74
Anthro 78
Elective 85
Elective 88
overall average 84

this summer i am volunteering at a farm, home for people with disabilities, food bank, maybe a dog rescue and hopefully a job. i know animal bio only accepts 150 students thats why i'm stressing. also i know the minimum requirements for the science programs at guelph but my guidance counselor told me i need at least a 85 average to get into bio anywhere. i just want honest comments about how i'm doing and my marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
All that I can tell you is that grade 11 marks are not used for calculating your top six average. They take your top six strictly from your grade 12 U/M courses. You can forget about Anthropology since that's not important to you. Focus on the sciences. Your other marks are fine if you can keep them up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sllencer sllencer
They only look at your grade 11 marks if they're expectionally high (90s) for early offers (around February). But that's rare so they almost always look at grade 12 marks top 6. Unless those courses you took in grade 11 were grade 12 courses, they won't be considered.

And yeah.. I never looked into that program but if it's only 150 ppl a year, I'm sure it's quite competitive. So don't ask for ppl's opinion and limit yourself to their comments ("that's good enough").
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
You still have grade 12 to pull up your grades and your grade 11 marks aren't too shabby. Work hard next year and you definitely have a shot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@Respects wrote
Honest perspective? I failed Gr.11 math and barely passed my sciences and got early admission into all the universities I applied to in February, this includes Mac and Waterloo. I felt like hitting my head against a wall for stressing over Gr.11 so badly.

Wow, so what programs in MacMaster and Waterloo accepted you early?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ He applied to arts programs. So I'm assuming his sciences marks didn't matter, and math probably didn't either. Otherwise he wouldn't have received early acceptance
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
^ He applied to arts programs. So I'm assuming his sciences marks didn't matter, and math probably didn't either. Otherwise he wouldn't have received early acceptance

Whether those marks are of importance or not, it's still a little surprising that he was accepted early under such circumstances. Not every program accepts students early, regardless of how good their marks are.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

It's rather possible for those students to not be accepted until May, actually. Even after the application deadline, it's possible for people change their programs. They just get seen later, that's all. I personally did that, and my application was still considered but my acceptance came in May. If this isn't the case, well, you probably still applied a lot earlier than they did.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of adv4ntag3 adv4ntag3
if ur going into biology..focus on english, bio, chem, and calculus in grade 12...u might think calc is pointless for a biology student, but since u do need chemistry, theres still some calculus in there, which later then gets applied to biological aspects
Was this helpful? Yes 0