yconic - Need Calculus for UofT
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Need Calculus for UofT

A photo of Minia5 Minia5
I am absolutely HORIBLE at math by the way. In grade 10, I got in the 60s/50s (wasn't hard but I just never tried) and I'm in grade 11 taking math which I'm just getting 20s/30s on my tests so my mark is under the 50s for sure. Math was something that I never tried in but when I got to grade 11, I had no idea it would be this hard. I want to get into UofT but I heard that I need to take calculus even though I'm just taking Social Science/humanities/art courses. Do I need it? And should I worry about my math marks in grade 12?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of takavar takavar
Math requires foundations like any other field of study. If I were you I would not worry to much as long as you have a real goal/desire and are willing to work your ass off for it. I myself had no problems in math till yr 10/11 when I slacked off but anyone can reshape themselves and achieve thus through hard work and lots of effort I managed to pull things around. You can do the same. Re: social sciences, unless your doing ECO I see no reason you MUST have calculus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
As the above poster mentioned, you don't need calc unless you are doing economics. The viewbook just confuses you because soc sci is categorized as arts & science and science students need calc for sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Minia5 Minia5

@takavar wrote
Math requires foundations like any other field of study. If I were you I would not worry to much as long as you have a real goal/desire and are willing to work your ass off for it. I myself had no problems in math till yr 10/11 when I slacked off but anyone can reshape themselves and achieve thus through hard work and lots of effort I managed to pull things around. You can do the same. Re: social sciences, unless your doing ECO I see no reason you MUST have calculus.

Thank you for your encouragement and making this more clearer for myself. I probably might of read the information wrong on the UofT booklet :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of theboydetective theboydetective
You need calculus for psychology. Also, I've so far found calculus easier than Math 12, and Math 12 easier than Math 11.
Was this helpful? Yes 0