yconic - Need help in course selection in UWO
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Need help in course selection in UWO

A photo of Bairong Bairong
Hi, guys,

I am about to enroll in Chemistry in September this year, I am confused about course selection. Now, here are the questions:
first, what's better or easier: physics 1028a/b or physics 1301a/b.
second, Do I really have to choose courses from each of category a/b/c, if I want to get my Bachelor of science degree?
third, recommend me a course from category B, I have no clue. Tell me about the essay courses.
BTW, does anyone choose languages(like Spanish) in their first year?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of adamraffoul adamraffoul
Lots of people do languages first year, especially if they have a background in a language that is offered.

Chemistry does require physics as you know, so you are left with a decision to make. I myself did not take grade 12 physics, so I opted for what was "easier", that being 1028a. The course was very confusing to me, the professor is foreign and is hard to listen to, but he structures the course in such a way that you can get a mark above 80 without even going to class or studying. For example, in second semester, I didn't go to one lecture or read the textbook at all. I had 4 exams in three days during final exam period and physics was the least of my worries (aka I didn't study for it). I ended up guessing every single M/C question and made up equations in the S/A section. Finished the course with an 80.

That being said, lots of people take the "regular" physics, because it's familiar to what they've learned in high school, and while it may be harder to get a better mark than someone say in Prof. Zinke's physics, it isn't necessarily a harder course.

You will need courses from a/b/c from what I understand. I took Business 1220 which took care of my A and my regular science courses take care of the C. So I now have 3 years to get my B out of the way. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz
1501 a/b is the easiest physics course in first year. It's also a suitable prerequisite for any program requiring a physics course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kjp8908 kjp8908

@Quiz wrote
1501 a/b is the easiest physics course in first year. It's also a suitable prerequisite for any program requiring a physics course.

Not even funny
Was this helpful? Yes 0