yconic - Need Opinion on what to apply for ):
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Need Opinion on what to apply for ):

A photo of Callia Callia
This maybe too early , but I wanted to ask your opinion of what Uni I should apply to for next year , I have an idea but am not fully sure. By looking at my marks so far, I have no chance at like the top business programs ( waterloo AFM, York , etc...). I am in grade 11 and fast tracked a lot , so I only have 5 grade 11 marks. :/ Any idea of how early acceptance offers work in my case?

Grade 11 marks : ( school is non-semester so nothing is final)
Comm Tech - 100
English ( enriched, going to take academic next year so it will probably go up like 10%)- 82
Accounting - 85
Law - 82
Functions - 70 (Final mark, not exactly the best at math)
Grade 12
Data Mang - 68 ( class average is 48, so hopefully the teacher will boost the marks)
Visual arts - 93
Graphics - 95
Average of top 6 = 89.5
Next year courses:
Economics
Accounting
English
Law
Comm tech
Calculus
Functions

Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of caveman caveman
What are you looking to get into? You said AFM- are you looking to get into accounting? Or finance? Or are you unsure? And I'm assuming by York you mean Schulich? Is it safe to assume you can have a 90+ average? Or at least 87+? And how are your ECs?

If you can answer those questions, and provide a bit more detail, I can make some suggestions that you could look into.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
Good on you for taking initiative in grade 11. However I'll tell you right now- I have no idea what to predict you as :P

Okay - beginning with your only grade 5 courses compared to a ton of grade 12 -i think that's awesome/brilliant, and I wouldn't consider it a problem, since you cover your bases (english specifically and a math) - however, where is your grade 11 math? functions is a grade 12 course is it not?

your data management math however :S:S

don't hope the teacher will change it. I would say you should worry about redoing this one in summer school instead of english.

As for programs- i quote caveman :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Callia Callia

@caveman wrote
What are you looking to get into? You said AFM- are you looking to get into accounting? Or finance? Or are you unsure? And I'm assuming by York you mean Schulich? Is it safe to assume you can have a 90+ average? Or at least 87+? And how are your ECs?

If you can answer those questions, and provide a bit more detail, I can make some suggestions that you could look into.

That's the thing,I was thinking either commerce or accounting. Math's didn't turn out too well , so I reconsidering going into accounting or at least plan to aim for a school with lower standards. I can possibly get a 90 average but not above , my range for average next year would probably be 87-90. Yes, I was talking about Schulich. Extra curricular I guess I would say I have enough, I have a bunch of volunteer work , clubs , sport teams within school and am part of some non-profit organizations outside of school. Along with volunteer work outside of school and sports outside of school. But then again, not quite sure what the standards are of universities and what they look for , for EC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Callia Callia

@Windsongs4 wrote
Good on you for taking initiative in grade 11. However I'll tell you right now- I have no idea what to predict you as :P

Okay - beginning with your only grade 5 courses compared to a ton of grade 12 -i think that's awesome/brilliant, and I wouldn't consider it a problem, since you cover your bases (english specifically and a math) - however, where is your grade 11 math? functions is a grade 12 course is it not?

your data management math however :S:S

don't hope the teacher will change it. I would say you should worry about redoing this one in summer school instead of english.

As for programs- i quote caveman :P

took gr 11. Functions in summer school, so I got that out of the way. Do universities look at summer school courses for grade 11?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BudsFan94 BudsFan94
First of all, 48 class average in Data! That's evil!

Second of all, don't be scared to apply to programs. I can tell you as someone who has applied already that you should apply to a lot of places so you don't limit yourself once offers start rolling in. Also, don't underestimate yourself. When I was in grade 11 the prospects of even applying to programs such as Queen's Commerce and Ivey seemed infallible, but hard work and determination works wonders!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Callia Callia

@BudsFan94 wrote

Second of all, don't be scared to apply to programs. I can tell you as someone who has applied already that you should apply to a lot of places so you don't limit yourself once offers start rolling in. Also, don't underestimate yourself. When I was in grade 11 the prospects of even applying to programs such as Queen's Commerce and Ivey seemed infallible, but hard work and determination works wonders!

Half the class is getting 20% or less while a few are getting 60 and 70. Apparently, the teacher doesn't want the average of the class to be in the 80's since it's a university course ( this teacher usually teaches college courses) so she told us each year she is going to make the course harder and harder . :scratch:

They still seem impossible in my mind. How much time does it usually on average ( Of course some will take more than others, just stating in general) take to do the forms that co-inside with the application?( Such as the essay - { I maybe wrong about this} for Rotman Commerce) Thank you, I appreciate that you think I can actually get somewhere. :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Callia wrote

@BudsFan94 wrote

Half the class is getting 20% or less while a few are getting 60 and 70. Apparently, the teacher doesn't want the average of the class to be in the 80's since it's a university course ( this teacher usually teaches college courses) so she told us each year she is going to make the course harder and harder . :scratch:

They still seem impossible in my mind. How much time does it usually on average ( Of course some will take more than others, just stating in general) take to do the forms that co-inside with the application?( Such as the essay - { I maybe wrong about this} for Rotman Commerce) Thank you, I appreciate that you think I can actually get somewhere. :cheers:

It all depends.

1)Rotman- one timed essay question, you get an hour to do it
2)Queen's- 3 essay questions
3)Ivey- 1 essay question plus 3 activity essays
4)Laurier- optional Supplementary application

Not sure about Schulich since I didn't apply there. The essays in my case didn't take very long to write, but going through edits and perfecting it took some time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@Callia wrote

@caveman wrote

That's the thing,I was thinking either commerce or accounting. Math's didn't turn out too well , so I reconsidering going into accounting or at least plan to aim for a school with lower standards. I can possibly get a 90 average but not above , my range for average next year would probably be 87-90. Yes, I was talking about Schulich. Extra curricular I guess I would say I have enough, I have a bunch of volunteer work , clubs , sport teams within school and am part of some non-profit organizations outside of school. Along with volunteer work outside of school and sports outside of school. But then again, not quite sure what the standards are of universities and what they look for , for EC.

Read what BudsFan94 said: apply to the top schools to give yourself a goal to work towards, and if you do end up doing well and you didn't apply, you'll be kicking yourself. Don't worry about the supplementary applications, and although the high averages may be daunting, from your current marks it seems totally doable.

If you can be 90+, it significantly increases your chances of getting into almost any school. 87-90 would give you a good chance at just about anything, although pretty well eliminates Schulich and McGill.

If you're looking to go into accounting, look into any of the schools accredited by the ICAO- Waterloo, Queen's, Laurier, Brock, McMaster, Western/Ivey, UTM, Rotman, and Schulich.

If by next year you're not sure whether you want accounting or another area of business, I would stay away from Brock BAcc, and likely Waterloo AFM (unless you're considering finance).

So, research these schools more, talk to some current students, attend some open houses and visit the campuses and residences, get a good feel for them, compare costs and locations, and then figure out what schools you like best!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes Callia, aim for the top. Literally around this time last year I was expecting myself to go for business at Ted Rogers and as it turns out, I didn't even apply there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0