yconic - Need quick help on choosing University
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Need quick help on choosing University

A photo of Bilo Bilo
So there are about 7 days until the deadline for choosing an university. And i do not know where to attend. My choices are York business administrative studies, ryeson business commerce, mcmaster commerce, and laurier economic honours. If i choose laruier what is the differnece between a BA and BBA like job wise and is it hard to transfer to BBA? Please help out and give me a sugguestion of which university to attend. Rank them and give reason or pros and cons. Please and thanks for the help.

And also i got rejected by western BMOS becuase im off 0.02% the cut off they said is 84.5% and my average at mid term is 84.3%. They told me to put my self in the waiting list and wait until they see my final marks but then by the time its June 30th or whatever they get my final marks then i would of choosen another university. How does this work?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of g93 g93
What do you plan to go through for?

Do you like economics?

Are you good at math, and do you like it?

Which school do you prefer? (campus, atmosphere, etc.)

Honours Ec has more economics courses than BBA, and less business, but is fairly similar. However, BBA students are more sought after than BA Economics students. In general, they will get better jobs.

It is hard to transfer (competitive). Applying to transfer is easy, they have it set up to allow a seamless transition. To get in is a different story.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bilo Bilo
my whole goal was to do commerce because im not too sure of what business field i want to go into. i like laurier more than mcmaster but then in laurier i only get a bachlor of arts degree versus a commerce.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
I'd probably go with McMaster.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle
According to some salary reports I read, people with a BA in economics got more compensation on average than people with a BBA. In mid-career this was a significant margin, by 15-20k a year. This may have been an American salary report (not positive), but I dont think that would make that big of a difference. There are still plenty of opportunities with an economics degree, you can still get very businessy jobs with the degree. There is a lot of math involved however (which makes me ask myself why the hell I am going into it).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bilo Bilo

@Doorhandle wrote
According to some salary reports I read, people with a BA in economics got more compensation on average than people with a BBA. In mid-career this was a significant margin, by 15-20k a year. This may have been an American salary report (not positive), but I dont think that would make that big of a difference. There are still plenty of opportunities with an economics degree, you can still get very businessy jobs with the degree. There is a lot of math involved however (which makes me ask myself why the hell I am going into it).

yea i hate math too. im probably going to go to mcmaster if my parents are good with me living on resident or ryseron if i have to stay home which sucks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream
I would choose Mac without a doubt lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ayani Ayani

@Bilo wrote
So there are about 7 days until the deadline for choosing an university. And i do not know where to attend. My choices are York business administrative studies, ryeson business commerce, mcmaster commerce, and laurier economic honours. If i choose laruier what is the differnece between a BA and BBA like job wise and is it hard to transfer to BBA? Please help out and give me a sugguestion of which university to attend. Rank them and give reason or pros and cons. Please and thanks for the help.

And also i got rejected by western BMOS becuase im off 0.02% the cut off they said is 84.5% and my average at mid term is 84.3%. They told me to put my self in the waiting list and wait until they see my final marks but then by the time its June 30th or whatever they get my final marks then i would of choosen another university. How does this work?

If you want to be really technical - look at the academic calendars for each university (which is the curriculum). In my personal experience, that is what helped me decide which university I wanted to go to in the end. With a BA - like some others have said: the main (and probably only) business course that you can take is economics. If you want to go into commerce - then I would specifically look into the commerce programs and rule out the BA. It is more difficult to transfer from a BA --> BBA rather than BBA --> BA because people are already in that program and the program is much more competitive than arts. Plus, you have to maintain a certain mark in order to be able to transfer. Look into York Business Administration - do you want to study this curriculum? Commerce and Business Administration are fairly different in terms of curriculum. Commerce has more academic courses (i.e. accounting, economics, etc.). Whereas, Business Administration deals with more practical areas of business, i.e. human organizational studies. In the end, it is all up to you. Choose what you are more interested in. You'll be there for 4 years - so you should like what you are going into.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NoToRiouSDIP NoToRiouSDIP

@iDream wrote
I would choose Mac without a doubt lol

Cool icon bro
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bilo Bilo

@Ayani wrote

@Bilo wrote

If you want to be really technical - look at the academic calendars for each university (which is the curriculum). In my personal experience, that is what helped me decide which university I wanted to go to in the end. With a BA - like some others have said: the main (and probably only) business course that you can take is economics. If you want to go into commerce - then I would specifically look into the commerce programs and rule out the BA. It is more difficult to transfer from a BA --> BBA rather than BBA --> BA because people are already in that program and the program is much more competitive than arts. Plus, you have to maintain a certain mark in order to be able to transfer. Look into York Business Administration - do you want to study this curriculum? Commerce and Business Administration are fairly different in terms of curriculum. Commerce has more academic courses (i.e. accounting, economics, etc.). Whereas, Business Administration deals with more practical areas of business, i.e. human organizational studies. In the end, it is all up to you. Choose what you are more interested in. You'll be there for 4 years - so you should like what you are going into.

thanks for the tips. i was wondering if the university name really matter beucase at the end of four year of ryerson or queens you still get a commerce degree. Like does the school name really matter that much? Because if it does i might just go to luarier economics and accounting but its only a arts degree thats what bothers me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ayani Ayani

@Bilo wrote

@Ayani wrote

@Bilo wrote

thanks for the tips. i was wondering if the university name really matter beucase at the end of four year of ryerson or queens you still get a commerce degree. Like does the school name really matter that much? Because if it does i might just go to luarier economics and accounting but its only a arts degree thats what bothers me.

The school name really only helps you with your first job. After that - it's all about you gaining experience. To be honest - when you get your first job, it's mainly about how you carry yourself. Sure a university name may back up your credentials but it's all about how you present yourself to future employers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bilo Bilo

@Ayani wrote

@Bilo wrote

@Ayani wrote

@Bilo wrote

The school name really only helps you with your first job. After that - it's all about you gaining experience. To be honest - when you get your first job, it's mainly about how you carry yourself. Sure a university name may back up your credentials but it's all about how you present yourself to future employers.

Thanks alot. im probably going to go to ryerson since i want a commerce degree and my parents wants me stay home really bad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0