yconic - Need Some Help (University of Toronto St. George Campus)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Need Some Help (University of Toronto St. George Campus)

A photo of thanan1 thanan1
I have applied to the social sciences mainly for Criminology. But, I also have a liking towards the business courses. I really did not like Math in my school so I didn't do it (except for Advanced Functions, which, thanks to my teacher, was very low; below 70). But, I would like the chance to do it in University. The thing is, I can't really find any Intro to Calculus course or something along those lines. I have already been accepted to U of T St. George and am planning to take the Sociology/Philosophy for first year along with, if possible, Ethics, Society and Law (or whatever the name of that program is) then move along to Criminology in my second year. It was just wondering whether I have the opportunity to do a Intro to Math course for an elective within the St. George campus. Any help would very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@thanan1 wrote
I have applied to the social sciences mainly for Criminology. But, I also have a liking towards the business courses. I really did not like Math in my school so I didn't do it (except for Advanced Functions, which, thanks to my teacher, was very low; below 70). But, I would like the chance to do it in University. The thing is, I can't really find any Intro to Calculus course or something along those lines. I have already been accepted to U of T St. George and am planning to take the Sociology/Philosophy for first year along with, if possible, Ethics, Society and Law (or whatever the name of that program is) then move along to Criminology in my second year. It was just wondering whether I have the opportunity to do a Intro to Math course for an elective within the St. George campus. Any help would very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

They should have the intro course...Hmmm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
Here are the 2011 Mathematics courses: http://www.artsandscience.utoronto.ca/ofr/archived/1011calendar/crs_mat.htm

As far as I can tell, there are no introductory mathematics courses (introductory courses are usually ___100, where in the blank is the three-letter designator of the department offering the course, like MAT for Mathematics).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lychee lychee
I was a math major at St George for 2 years... completely switched to a different University and program after!

Anyway, if you wanted to take an "intro"-type calculus course, I would recommend:

--
MAT135Y1
Calculus I [72L, 24T]

Review of trigonometric functions; trigonometric identities and trigonometric limits. Review of differential calculus; applications. Integration and fundamental theorem; applications. Series. Introduction to differential equations
--

I'm not sure if your program will allow you to count this towards your degree, but if it does, this is probably one of the easiest of the calc courses. It's what the life science students have to take, and it's much more applied (opposed to theoretical) than MAT137.

Another one that I just noticed from the calendar is:

--
MAT133Y1
Calculus and Linear Algebra for Commerce [72L, 24T]

Mathematics of finance. Matrices and linear equations. Review of differential calculus; applications. Integration and fundamental theorem; applications. Introduction to partial differentiation; applications.
--

I haven't heard much about this course, but since it's for commerce it's probably much less math-intensive than any of the other calculus courses.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nadia93 nadia93
U of T 2011-2012 Course Calendar

go to that link and go to page 359 where all the math courses are.. it's really helpful :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DK1 DK1
There's a math course that I'm taking if I go there called PUMP. It's not for credit, so the marks in it don't count - you just focus on your understanding. It fulfills any missing prerequisite math/calc courses you didn't have in high school, fills in any blanks in upper-high school math, and is what you're supposed to take to be able to do what you want after in terms of courses/programs. I didn't take calc, but want to do psych, so this is my choice for dealing with it. I think you'll find calc courses at U of T may have high school calc as a prereq.
Was this helpful? Yes 0