yconic - Need some help with UofT courses
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Need some help with UofT courses

A photo of chemgeek chemgeek
Im new to UofT Life Science and I wanted to see what you guys think of my schedule. Do you think It would be killer or not? I already have credits for Math 135H1, Bio120, Chem 139

Fall:
Chem 138 (Organic chem) - Need for med
Physics 131 (intro physics 1)- need for MCAT/Keeping options open
Ant 100y (intro anthropology) - Seems interesting + heard its not that bad
Cla 204 (Intro Classical Mythology) - interesting, I like god of war and heard the course isnt that bad
Cla 231 (Intro Roman History) - I find history fun but havent heard much about this course.

* I can change Cla 231/Cla 204 with CSC 108 but I am not sure*

Winter:
Bio 130 (molecular and call bio) - med
Physics 132 (intro physics 2) - need for MCAT/Keeping options open
Ant 100y (intro anthropology) - Seems interesting + heard its not that bad)
Math 136 (Intergral Calculus) - Not sure why im taking but I need it as a coreq with physics 132 and it opens up options as well.
Psy 100 (intro psychology) - Some Life Science Subject Post need Psychology and its interesting to me.

The physics and the Math also opens options for medschool outside of Canada like the US which needs Physics and Math also.

I couldnt get into any English or Philosophy, will try again.

Some people told me that Im not taking enough Life Science stuff lol and that my courses are kind of random for this year even though I have some credist already.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Nyx Nyx
I honestly love your courses...you're meeting pretty much all the requirements for life sci, so how can they say that you're not taking enough? That's just stupid imo. Apparently med schools like to see people taking a variety of courses too...take what you like and you should be fine :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
"Some people" probably means high school students who don't know any better than you do?

As long as you're taking the requirements for your major, take whatever else you are interested in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chemgeek chemgeek
Ya, it makes sense what you guys say. The "some people" are just friends who possibly also want to get into med school but have not really done their reasearch. Apparently to them biology students get higher priority, must have lots of biology related courses to stand a good chance.

Also wanted to know if you guys think I would survive taking those classess and having a possible part time job (looking for a job right now and will do around 8-10 hours per week, only weekends) and volunteering at the sick kids hospital (2 days a week, 2-3 hours per time on september and 1 days a week 2-3 hours after september if I choose to continue)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@chemgeek wrote
Ya, it makes sense what you guys say. The "some people" are just friends who possibly also want to get into med school but have not really done their reasearch. Apparently to them biology students get higher priority, must have lots of biology related courses to stand a good chance.

Silly friends. What matters is taking the prereqs, high GPA and high MCAT plus that extra something special. In fact, taking a non-traditional route to med school may make you stand out more.

@chemgeek wrote

Also wanted to know if you guys think I would survive taking those classess and having a possible part time job (looking for a job right now and will do around 8-10 hours per week, only weekends) and volunteering at the sick kids hospital (2 days a week, 2-3 hours per time on september and 1 days a week 2-3 hours after september if I choose to continue)

That depends. I personally am more efficient when I'm busier. I play varsity rugby, which is probably a similar time commitment to what you are describing (10-15 hours per week, some weekends away on competition). Sometimes it was quite stressful, but I obviously survived (with a great GPA). I also tend to work more quickly and study less than my peers. I would try it and see, you can always quit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JJae JJae
It will definitely be a challenge, but you can do it if you work hard enough.

Btw, don't forget about the BR req. Sooo annoying and confusing how they have 5 streams now, but gotta live with it i guess
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JJae JJae
It will definitely be a challenge, but you can do it if you work hard enough.

Btw, don't forget about the BR req. Sooo annoying and confusing how they have 5 streams now, but gotta live with it i guess
Was this helpful? Yes 0