yconic - Need your Opinions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Need your Opinions

A photo of thagger101 thagger101
The deadline is fast approaching and I am a weird situation. I got rejected from Mac Business with an 80.5 avrg (Mac has been my dream school), my current avrg with my final nightschool mark is an 81.5, and Ive improved in all my classes (besides physics not top 6 though.

Is there any way to be accepted in the summer? or at finals? My current options is going to Mac for Social sciences (economics), or Ryerson Bcomm, or Mac Bachelor in Tech. Staying back is not an option (parents). I just feel going to Mac for social sciences is a risk, and making it into commerce second year isnt a guarantee.

What yall think i Should do?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I would call McMaster Monday and see if you can still get in or anything.

If not, I'd choose Ryerson if business is what you want to do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

Yeah im going to see guidence tomorrow, then call McMaster Registar. Hopefully theres a way =(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@Username81 wrote

Agreed. Going the transfer route does entail a certain degree of risk.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BusterBaxter BusterBaxter
At Western there are quite a few people in social sciences that "mirror" the BMOS program and apply for BMOS in their intent to register. If so many people do this at Western, I dont see why following the same technique at Mac won't work. If Mac is your dream school, and you're willing to work hard to get into it's BComm, then I'd say take the risk.

If all fails, you might end up with an economics degree, which isn't too shabby either.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@BusterBaxter wrote
At Western there are quite a few people in social sciences that "mirror" the BMOS program and apply for BMOS in their intent to register. If so many people do this at Western, I dont see why following the same technique at Mac won't work. If Mac is your dream school, and you're willing to work hard to get into it's BComm, then I'd say take the risk.

If all fails, you might end up with an economics degree, which isn't too shabby either.

You can also transfer from Ryerson into McMaster Bcomm for 2nd year. If that fails, you still get a bcom degree
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Both of you have given me a lot to think about, both have there pros and cons. I really appreciate your replies. Hopefully i make a decision soon, as its killing me. I hope guidence has some opinions as well
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of foreveryoung foreveryoung

@Username81 wrote

@BusterBaxter wrote

You can also transfer from Ryerson into McMaster Bcomm for 2nd year. If that fails, you still get a bcom degree

This.
Personally, I wouldn't take the risk associated with transferring within Mac. I know you said it's your dream school but an important thing to think about is the program itself. Not sure if you care but I absolutely fell in love with Western but eventually chose not to go there because the program wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I think that you'll grow to love whatever school you go to and I'm really happy with my decision. At the end of the day, yeah university is an experience but it's also important to take the education and degree into account. I think a BComm has more advantage to it than a social sciences degree (But that's just my opinion). So if I were you, I'd go to Ryerson (plus, downtown Toronto's pretty amazing) and then try to transfer to Mac. It's definitely doable from both methods but I think going to Ryerson at least gives you a safety net that you can fall back into just in case.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yeah i would prefer a degree in business, but I just really wanted to go to Mac =(. Im going to call tomorrow to see if anything can be done, If not ill probably be at Ryerson (its not a bad program at all).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of foreveryoung foreveryoung

@thagger101 wrote
yeah i would prefer a degree in business, but I just really wanted to go to Mac =(. Im going to call tomorrow to see if anything can be done, If not ill probably be at Ryerson (its not a bad program at all).

Yeah, trust me I know how you feel, I really wanted to go to Western. But just ask yourself if giving up the degree is worth going to Mac. :p
Anyways, good luck, I know how hard it is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0