yconic - Networking
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Networking

A photo of aaronh421 aaronh421
Which school are you thinking of? Some school offer more opportunities than others. Location is a big factor too. It's easier to network if your school is in Toronto vs Kingston. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK
Which school are you thinking of? Some school offer more opportunities than others. Location is a big factor too. It's easier to network if your school is in Toronto vs Kingston. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@aaronh421 wrote
How do students network at school? How do you meet future employers?This is something I'm not fimiliar with unfortunately so any information is appreciated!:)

It depends on what school you're at, but there will be different opportunities. Many schools hold recruiting/networking events for you to network with employers. Some have career fairs with employers on hand (this type of thing is more common in engineering and other disciplines from my experience). There may be guest speakers coming in to talk or that type of thing. There's also conferences and case competitions and the like, although usually that's more networking with students vs employers. Those are more of the "set-up" networking opportunities.

Beyond that, there's stuff you can do on your own (although sometimes these things are set up too). You can go meet with upper-year students who work at employers you are looking to work for. They are often the best people to talk to, as you can most relate to them- they just went through the process you're going through, they took the same classes as you, they're the same age roughly, etc. You can also meet with alumni from the school. You could meet with any employer really, it's just more common to meet with alumni as there's a connection there, and alumni usually like to help out their school. But you could cold call/email any recruiter/employee and ask to grab a coffee with them and discuss stuff. There's a whole whack of strategies that people have used to network with employers (showing up the the office), and some work better than others. You'll be told of opportunities when you attend university, and you can talk to upper years to see what they did, and ask your classmates what they're doing. If you feel you need to network more, use your judgement and figure out what approach would be best for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@aaronh421 wrote
i'm leaning heavily towards Brock. How is Brock for networking? Are these networking events for all Business/accounting students or just the ones in BAcc co-op ? How often do these events take place? At these events, Do I just approach a recruiter and introduce myself and if they like me they will ask me for my info or is it like a interview before the actual interview? and do I have to wear a suit ? lol, I HATE dressing formal! :(

I would recommend business formal for all networking events (unless it's a company picnic or something). At networking events you just get to meet recruiters and other company reps. They will rarely get your information (just your card), but they won't really do anything with it. You would have to follow up with them through email and can end up going for lunch or coffee with them later. It's good to use these events for recruiters to get to know you so they can "link" your name (when you apply for positions at their companies) with your face. That way it's easier for them to invite you for an interview since they would know who you are. However, for that to happy you really need to stand out: dress well, be very talkative, try to impress them, have a good connection and rapport going.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Is alumni contact information readily available through the university, or would that be sort of a breach of privacy? I hear alumni are sometimes the most useful resources when networking, but I'm wondering how you would get into contact with them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@iliketurtles wrote
Is alumni contact information readily available through the university, or would that be sort of a breach of privacy? I hear alumni are sometimes the most useful resources when networking, but I'm wondering how you would get into contact with them.

Again, depends on school. Schulich alumni often comes back to the school to talk to us, sit on the panels and participate in those networking events. It's easy to talk to them because they went to the same school and they know how it is. Most of them want to give back to the school by bringing more opportunities to current students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GainTheHedge GainTheHedge
Very true. Many schools actually have networking events specifically designed to bring students and employers together. Business faculties in particular are heavyweights in networking sessions and they tend to bring in top-notch industry professionals for information sessions and recruitment tips. This is even more prevalent if your school features a co-op program (such as Waterloo and Brock) and allows for even more extensive networking. Dress formally, bring a business card and a smile. Relax and just chill with the recruiter because I just hate to see recruiters pretend to listen to candidates ramble on about themselves without paying attention to anything with regards to the company's focus and vision.

Alumni definitely gives you a leverage into the market and often they can refer you to job openings. They love working with students from their uni and even more so from their program so it will play into your advantage. Specifically Schulich, QC and Ivey alumni are everywhere in the business world so it is easier networking in those schools. Just look for opportunities and run with them
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz

@aaronh421 wrote
i'm leaning heavily towards Brock. How is Brock for networking?

hahahahhahaha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Rela Rela

@aaronh421 wrote
why is that so funny? :s I plan on going there and it 's perfectly legitimate question.

Ignore him, he's just a troll who has nothing better to do in his life. Brock is a completely fine school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz

@Rela wrote

@aaronh421 wrote
why is that so funny? :s I plan on going there and it 's perfectly legitimate question.

Ignore him, he's just a troll who has nothing better to do in his life. Brock is a completely fine school.

My laughter was completely legitimate. Brock is NOT a target school. Sure they'll have some networking events, however it won't be to the extent of Schulich/Queens/Western/UofT, where during recruiting season you'll have 2 networking events every day of the week. The onus is totally on you to go out and grow your network, as it is NOT a target school.

Going into university I didn't understand the importance and value of networking. Its really important if you would like to work at Big4 for accounting, break into consulting, enter IB, or even get into marketing at a top firm. Business is competitive, and it's important to know people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0