yconic - Neuroscience at UTSC or Life Sciences/Microbiology at McGill PLS HELP!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Neuroscience at UTSC or Life Sciences/Microbiology at McGill PLS HELP!

A photo of Shree Shree

Hi! I applied to the following:

-Neuroscience at UTSC: accepted
-Anatomy & Cell Biology (Biomedical Life sciences) McGill : accepted
-Microbiology and Immunology McGill : accepted

I am in my 2nd year of CEGEP (Quebec) and so I will be entering my 2nd year the program that I choose. After my BSc, I want to go to med school. I am confused as to what to choose for my BSc and I was wondering if I could get some advice. Is one program "harder" than the others? Also, if I don't get into med school, which degree would bring more prospects? (I know that I would have to do a masters). Iv'e also heard a rumour that apparently biomedical life sciences only prepare you for med school, but there is nothing you can do with the degree after? Is this true? Please help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of comebackkid comebackkid
It does not matter which you choose if you want to go into Medicine, any degree with the required pre-requisite courses is acceptable. All medical schools recommend you study what interests you the most, so if it was up to me I would choose Anatomy and Cell Bio.

Any subject of science will provide you with prospects for research for a Master's, it's up to you to determine what you want to research.

Lastly, there are very few degrees that provide you with a job after University. The most popular are Nursing and Engineering, and those are still acceptable for Medicine too.

Hope this helped.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Shree Shree

@comebackkid wrote
It does not matter which you choose if you want to go into Medicine, any degree with the required pre-requisite courses is acceptable. All medical schools recommend you study what interests you the most, so if it was up to me I would choose Anatomy and Cell Bio.

Any subject of science will provide you with prospects for research for a Master's, it's up to you to determine what you want to research.

Lastly, there are very few degrees that provide you with a job after University. The most popular are Nursing and Engineering, and those are still acceptable for Medicine too.

Hope this helped.

Thank you!
I was just wondering also, if I stay in Montreal and when I apply to med school's in ontario, will I be at a disadvantage because I am an out of province student...?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sayrawr01 sayrawr01

@Shree wrote

@comebackkid wrote

Hope this helped.

Thank you!
I was just wondering also, if I stay in Montreal and when I apply to med school's in ontario, will I be at a disadvantage because I am an out of province student...?

Yes you will, I have heard soooooo many stories about how people get into McGill medical school with like a 2.8 GPA because they are residents... and Ontario medical schools have a limit in which they have to accept from out of province.
Was this helpful? Yes 0