yconic - New Forums
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

New Forums

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Well, since we're now here, what does everyone think?

Here's what I think:

1. I like that we can access the forums and the awards site within the same top banner. There's no more having to flip between two different sites and go through all that crap.

2. I think the layout sucks and the colours suck even more. We need to have different skins/modifications available to us so that we can customize the forums to how we'd like to view them. Making these additions available is not hard.

3. STOP FRIGGIN MOVING FORUMS. I've been around SA for 5+ years, and this is the third forum I've used. Stop it. Every time you move you're losing members, reseting post counts, and we have to start all over again. The last forums were an enormous wealth of information: a central database for thousands of answers to thousands of questions. And that brings me to:

4. Merge the old forums here. We need to do a database merge. Those old forums had hundreds of thousands of posts and thousands of members. It was easy to find questions and answers since almost everything was already answered. Bring that here too so that we don't spend another year answering "hey, I have a 98 average, is that good enough for..."

5. Who even decided we were moving to a new forum? What was wrong with the old ones?

Nevertheless, since we're starting new, there are two things that need to be done right from the start:

1. Hire user-based Moderators to moderate the forums. Students here are the driving force behind the forums. They answer the questions, bring their friends online, and help potential and future students. Show them some appreciation. I don't even care if it's me, although I'd love it and be good at it. Just promote SOME of your best users on here. They could be Global Moderators, or even just give them one forum to 'test' out their skills.

2. Keep out the forum trolls/spammers/useless posters. I'm lumping trolls in with spammers because they're both useless to the forums. They clog up the forums and prevent legitimate questions from being answered. Set the bar high immediately to say that we're not tolerating that crap on here. Kick people off with temporary or permanent bans, and do it with their IP address so that they can't simply return with another account and spam us for another week. (Speaking of that, since we're on a new forum, doesn't that mean all the banned people will simply float over to here?)

That's my list. What's everyone else think?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
47 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Although, merging ALL the topics back into this forum might not be very good. There were some very useless VERY long threads in the previous forum that were not that relevant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
Wow i actually agree with you for once.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
Although, merging ALL the topics back into this forum might not be very good. There were some very useless VERY long threads in the previous forum that were not that relevant.

Then that could be filtered out. They ARE paid Administrators and Moderators, after all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
Agreed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

ANNNNNND... The forum time is still off! It's clearly 4:14pm when I'm posting this, and yet the forum says its 4:21pm.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kargo93 Kargo93
[size=9]+1 [/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Kargo93 wrote
[size=9]+1 [/size]

+2
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leviaidan leviaidan
I respect you so much, Army!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@leviaidan wrote
I respect you so much, Army!

Thank you. I work hard to generate a fan base, and I'm glad to have 10,001 fans :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I hate how part of my name is in my username.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
Here are my opinions in relation to your points:
1. I had the forums bookmarked so having an access point between the awards site and the forums has not made much of a difference for me.
2. The layout looks cleaner and sharper, but I think I preferred the darker colour scheme. Either way, everyone will get used to it eventually.
3. & 4. If someone really has a stupid question, they are not going to read through the dozens of pages beforehand to look for it, anyway. That's why dozens of pages existed. I bet that hundreds of those members were inactive anyway and who cares about post counts? It's nice to have a clean start and I'm sure that all of the important threads and questions will be recreated soon. For now, the old forum is still around anyway, just locked.
5. They wanted to update their look. Things change, and usually the change brings improvement.

About your suggestions:
1. To me, hiring users to monitor sounds completely unnecessary. I'm sure the site has its own moderators already. There is a "Report Abusive" and "Report SPAM" button on the bottom of every post so somebody must handle that. Why waste the money to hire more, especially on random teenagers? I can't see that idea ever happening.
2. About trolls - with a new, now smaller forum (for now), it'll be even easier to notice where trolling is going on because there are less threads. This forum hasn't really been around long time to say whether they're becoming more strict about what is posted.

So, there's what I thought.

In conclusion: Everything changes. Roll with it. Learn to adapt.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93
I don't like how you have to log in every time. And it's slow.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

Yeah, really slow. I hate the colour scheme too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HeroOfCanton HeroOfCanton
I agree with most of those points, but user moderation seems a touch unnecessary. Also, avatars need to be fixed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@g93 wrote

yeah, it is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancee dancee
The time being off pisses me off to no end. TO NO END.

Good points Army.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dancee wrote

Good points Army.

At least the retardedness of the avatars doesn't affect the French flag compared to the Swiss. I envy you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancee dancee

@leviaidan wrote

@dancee wrote

Good points Army.

At least the retardedness of the avatars doesn't affect the French flag compared to the Swiss. I envy you.

What can say? EVERYBODY loves a French girl. ;)

Sorry if I make no sense. I'm coming off of some serious twilight gas and percocets.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
army, you were banned too......
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of awwwwyea awwwwyea
I'm just bitter cuz they closed the old forum before I had a chance to make 1000 posts. ><

Also, do the smileys work yet? Here's a tentative try: :)

edit: Alrighty then...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted