yconic - NGOs, international work, consulting
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

NGOs, international work, consulting

A photo of colakid123 colakid123
Okay, so I don't want to get into investment banking, finance or accounting. I actually didn't plan on business at all, but I am near set to accept an offer to the only business program I applied to (McGill Desautels). So, in your humble opinions, how will this decision pan out for me if I want to do unconventional business work that people at other target schools aren't too keen on.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of LampShade LampShade
Check your Inbox bud :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Having business knwoledge can be very useful for work in NGOs, etc. Not sure what you're asking exactly.

I suggest listening to what LampShade says, he/she seems to be very level-headed and obviously knows a thing or two about McGill.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah, my question wasn't exactly clear even to me. It feels like I couldn't applied to Ivey or QC and gotten in, as those are considered the "better" routes. But, I was initially planning on doing arts (thank god you can apply to two things at McGill). Anyway, I was just looking for suggestions, next steps, anything helpful. And thanks lampshade, I'm about to reply.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
Business is fine for consulting work. Plenty of companies such as Bain/Deloitte who are looking for people with UG biz degrees.

However, Ivey/Queen's are generally the "main" places that consulting companies recruit at, so I'd recommend looking into transferring asap. Desautel isn't well known for consulting, it's more theoretical based than some of the more practical based programs (aka Ivey).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I know these are the "main" places, but how exactly does Desautels measure up? And how important exactly is recruiting because most companies recruit a couple of people tops, right? And you can apply yourself independently, right? I'm not sure of any of this and I have a feeling a lot of it depends on the situation.

Also, anyone know about NGOs and other non-profit work? I feel like a business degree would be more useful than an arts degree for this type of stuff right?

Transferring is always an option, an if my first year marks are good (they're looked at in combo with HS right?) I should have a shot. But, in the meantime, I should make the best of my current situation. Considering McGill is the only place I considered maybe it's a serendipitously good move? Who knows what the future holds.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster

@colakid123 wrote
I know these are the "main" places, but how exactly does Desautels measure up? And how important exactly is recruiting because most companies recruit a couple of people tops, right? And you can apply yourself independently, right? I'm not sure of any of this and I have a feeling a lot of it depends on the situation.

Also, anyone know about NGOs and other non-profit work? I feel like a business degree would be more useful than an arts degree for this type of stuff right?

Transferring is always an option, an if my first year marks are good (they're looked at in combo with HS right?) I should have a shot. But, in the meantime, I should make the best of my current situation. Considering McGill is the only place I considered maybe it's a serendipitously good move? Who knows what the future holds.

Having business knowledge could prve very useful for NGOs and non-profit work. I know that something like 10% of CAs are in non-profit work or something like that. Just because you go through for business, whether it be accounting or marketing or something else, it doesn't mean you gott go to the Big 4 or Wall Street or some big company and set the world on fire, you can take your knwoledge and make a difference at a non-profit/NGO place.
Was this helpful? Yes 0