yconic - NO SUMMER AT WATERLOO!!???!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

NO SUMMER AT WATERLOO!!???!!

A photo of plaidboy plaidboy
IS IT TRUE YOU ALWAYS WORK FOR ENGINEERING AT WATERLOO?? EITHER CO-OP AND ACADEMIC TERMS, BUT NO SUMMER??
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of g93 g93
You have a little bit of time off, but yes you are essentially working or studying all year.

If you didn't have co-op, you would likely be getting a job anyways. Eventually you will have to work full time so may as well get used to it (unless your parents are loaded).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of YipAlpha YipAlpha
Completely true... however think about it this way...

During your "summers" you would have been working at a job anyways to pay for uni. With co-op you'll be doing the same thing but with more pay and relevant work experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
It's May 29th, and you're asking this now?

Even if you're in grade 11 this is like ...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plaidboy plaidboy

@immaculatedx wrote
It's May 29th, and you're asking this now?

Even if you're in grade 11 this is like ...

its for my brother
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Then read what YipAlpha wrote, dude's right.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose
Heh. At first glance, the concept of "OMG NO SUMMER?!!!?! WAT" seems a bit overwhelming.

But then you realize after just your first term how bored you get sitting around for your week and a half long break before Winter, and you come to understand that sitting around all summer would not be the best choice.

Work is great. I get paid to relax, basically. Work provides a low stress environment to unwind in while keeping you productive and busy, and also raking in the big bucks. I'd say it's preferable to a vacation, unless you happen to have thousands of dollars in your back pocket for travelling... And hey, if you get a co-op job abroad, you're making money AND you're on vacation!

I would die if I had to sit around all summer doing nothing. You get used to working all year round; you shouldn't worry about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorLawyerDentist DoctorLawyerDentist

@greygoose wrote
Heh. At first glance, the concept of "OMG NO SUMMER?!!!?! WAT" seems a bit overwhelming.

But then you realize after just your first term how bored you get sitting around for your week and a half long break before Winter, and you come to understand that sitting around all summer would not be the best choice.

Work is great. I get paid to relax, basically. Work provides a low stress environment to unwind in while keeping you productive and busy, and also raking in the big bucks. I'd say it's preferable to a vacation, unless you happen to have thousands of dollars in your back pocket for travelling... And hey, if you get a co-op job abroad, you're making money AND you're on vacation!

I would die if I had to sit around all summer doing nothing. You get used to working all year round; you shouldn't worry about it.

Wow, what job do you have?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@DoctorLawyerDentist wrote
Wow, what job do you have?

I am currently doing some web development for an internal prototype, which involves a lot of HTML and javascript development, possible ajax in the future and a little CSS. I also write perl scripts and do SQL queries for report generation, and pick up languages as my employer suggests to complete assigned tasks (ugh C#). Very basic stuff, but coming into this work term I had extremely limited knowledge of perl, sed/awk, SQL, and OOP. Compared to the level I work at in university, this is nothing. But it's really nice to be working at my own pace and get paid to learn.

I also work quite a bit harder than a typical co-op student, so I'm probably being underpaid for the work I'm doing. But I could not stand sitting around doing nothing all day! So I'm happy the way things turned out. It's a pretty sweet first job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
^ Oh god programming hurts my little brain.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LRooke wrote
^ Oh god programming hurts my little brain.

sed/awk are Unix tools and aren't really programming. Regular expressions are a useful computer science concept, again, not programming. Databases are more applied math than anything and dead easy. SQL and related languages are more of a mathematical statement than anything else. Something along the lines of "TAKE these things FROM this table WHERE THEY HAVE this property and then SORT them this way." (=> SELECT these_things FROM this_table WHERE this_property ORDER BY this_way; Seriously, it's that simple. Fixed a small error in this baby query that today's work prompted. :P)

There's much more to computer science than programming! Languages are just one way for us to express algorithms on a modern computer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
Im having my first coop term right now and it's very relaxing, even though i work 8 hrs a day i can do whatever i want after work. im also taking some extra classes just to boost my knowledge, but yeah you still get a ton of free time to do whatever you want. it's not like you never get a break.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of thisiscrazy4 thisiscrazy4

@aimango wrote
Im having my first coop term right now and it's very relaxing, even though i work 8 hrs a day i can do whatever i want after work. im also taking some extra classes just to boost my knowledge, but yeah you still get a ton of free time to do whatever you want. it's not like you never get a break.

Where are you working?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@thisiscrazy4 wrote

@aimango wrote

Where are you working?

Five Mobile. It's a relatively new company and we make apps for clients. Some big name apps we have made include The Score and Cineplex & some that are coming out in the future incl. Globe and Mail and Optik TV. Im doing Mobile QA which doesn't require a lot of CS background, but it's a pretty fun job cause I get to play with a ton of different devices.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of merm123 merm123

@plaidboy wrote
IS IT TRUE YOU ALWAYS WORK FOR ENGINEERING AT WATERLOO?? EITHER CO-OP AND ACADEMIC TERMS, BUT NO SUMMER??

Yeah, it does suck but it'll be that way when we get a career.

For those currently taking engineering at Waterloo, how often do you see your parents? Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc? Just curious.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@merm123 wrote

For those currently taking engineering at Waterloo, how often do you see your parents? Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc? Just curious.

Seriously, it doesn't suck. But I guess if you get lousy work you don't enjoy it might, or if you don't like what you're learning.

I'm in a program of similar difficulty/workload to engineering with exams that drag on far longer so I can answer that question :P

I am from out west so I fly home in between terms to see my family (at their expense/insistence). I get about 9 days off between terms, which is kind of the minimum if your exams drag on to the bitter end. It's too far to justify going home on a holiday weekend, but this term I have gone from Toronto to Waterloo on (long) weekends to visit friends, so that's totally doable.

One of my roommates was from Brampton. Barring one or two exceptions, she literally went home every weekend of first year. So it's totally doable if you really miss home. It's not really recommended though, as it really will hurt your independence. Gotta grow up and grow apart, get used to living on your own and providing for yourself. She'd always bring her laundry home because she couldn't do it herself ><
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@merm123 wrote

@plaidboy wrote

I can't really answer that cause it depends on where you're from. I will assume people on this forum are from Toronto and nearby areas cause.. that's how it usually is, lol.

I had 3 roomies last year, all 3 of them went back quite frequently even if it wasn't a holiday. But they were in Arts, AFM, and CS and were from Toronto/Scarborough/Markham area.

As for me, I'm in engineering but my house is a 15min drive from Waterloo. Lol. But yeah I usually go back for holidays. Engineers usually are very LUCKY because our courses are easy to pack into the 1st and 2nd week of exam schedule. so we usually get out the quickest : )
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@merm123 wrote

@plaidboy wrote

Depends on personal preference really (and where you live). If youre in the GTA, hop on the GO/Greyhound every now and again, or just stay at the Loo. Really up to you, since you can do school work from home for the most part.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of merm123 merm123
Thanks for the replies, everyone :)

I live about 3 hours away from Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0