yconic - NOT a Social Butterfly - Small School (Trent, Guelph-Humber, Etc) vs Big School (York, Guelph, etc)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

NOT a Social Butterfly - Small School (Trent, Guelph-Humber, Etc) vs Big School (York, Guelph, etc)

A photo of GoodStuff GoodStuff
Help...serious question...

Say someone is relatively "introverted" and shy - doesn't have a history of being a social butterfly......

What's a good school?
Would residence be a good choice? Or just stay home?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew
It depends on what you want out of your university experience.

If you're hoping that university will help you crawl out of your shell, I would suggest going to school with lots of spirit, because that may motivate you to go to events and talk to people. I would also suggest living in residence. A smaller school would also be good for you because it would force you to speak up in class (because of the smaller class sizes). Universities like Queen's,Guelph, Laurier, and even Brock and Trent would be good bets if this is what you want.

On the other hand, if you're comfortable with your introverted nature and simply want to avoid social situations that make your uncomfortable, a large commuter school would be better for you. In this case, I would suggest schools like UofT or York. If this is what you want, I don't suggest living in residence.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
^ +1

It depends on how you view your introversion. Large commuter schools like U of T, York, and UBC are better for those who aren't fond of excessive partying and school spirit (also Waterloo). But smaller schools where students live on campus like Queen's, Western and Laurier will have more of a community feel.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoodStuff GoodStuff
Good discussion..........
So, as an introvert and/or not socially outgoing - BUT WANTING TO MAKE FRIENDS, would one feel better at UofT, York and Ryerson
OR
Trent, Lakehead, Laurier (Brantford Campus), etc

Still struggling with this
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
If you're wanting to make friends, then I think it would depend on your interests. If you'd consider yourself a pretty normal person, then you're more likely to make friends at a non-commuter school (size of the school isn't so important). If you have obscure interests, then the big schools are the ones most likely to have people with the same obscure interests as you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rx Rx
think it would be much easier/effective/sensible for you to make an effort to change your attitude than changing the school you go to if you are really worried about your social life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
I'm going to UVic which apparently has almost 20000(as per wiki, which is big to me) and I will be on residence. My justification is this: 200 people in school I had no friends, 800 people in school I have a handful, so with 20 000 I should be able to make 1.

With more people there are more to meet, a greater variety of type, more to do to get involved. Smaller places tend to be closer in my experience, so it is harder to get in (ex. is small rural towns).

In residence there will always be people around and some hold things to get you involved so it should help a bit, even if you don't have a room mate.

All this is theoretical of course, but as an introverted person myself, this ios my thinking.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
As long as you don't make a complete fool out of yourself, you should be ok at all of them. Do your thing, and everything will be ok. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0