yconic - Not sure what to do, PLEASE help!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Not sure what to do, PLEASE help!

A photo of Bawwwwss Bawwwwss
I'm not sure whether I should stay back a year or go to university. I've been accepted to Guelph for commerce and waitlisted for ryerson business management with a 79% average. I am not completely sure whether I want to follow business as my career choice. Should I stay back a year to figure out what I want to study in university, or go to guelph for commerce?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of schulich2014 schulich2014
If you don't know what you want to study in university, why would you consider going in the first place?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bawwwwss Bawwwwss
I'm considering the benefits of studying business in university and eventually aquiring a career in it. Although, I do not want to pursue a career which I do not enjoy, and am only in the field because of the benefits such as high pay and flexible working hours as opposed to doing something I love but the benefits are not as great.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mvplayur mvplayur
I'd say stay back. I'm assuming the only pressure you have to go to school is because you don't want to deal with the opinions people will make of you because you stay back...but it's YOUR future. In the grand scheme of things, on year of finding out what you want to pursue, is better than risking 4 years doing something you might not appreciate. In addition, not to knock the program, but if you do well next year you can make a much better program than Guelph Commerce. Do what you feel would be best for you. Go with your gut instinct.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lumos Lumos

@mvplayur wrote
I'd say stay back. I'm assuming the only pressure you have to go to school is because you don't want to deal with the opinions people will make of you because you stay back...but it's YOUR future. In the grand scheme of things, on year of finding out what you want to pursue, is better than risking 4 years doing something you might not appreciate. In addition, not to knock the program, but if you do well next year you can make a much better program than Guelph Commerce. Do what you feel would be best for you. Go with your gut instinct.

We can't make the decision for you - you have to choose what's best for you.

I agree with a lot of the points mvplayur made. FYI - staying back is more common than you might think. In Oakville, there are many fourth-year high school students who stay for a fifth year for that very same reason - to have more time to decide what they want to do.

Choosing to go to a school to study business purely because of the "benefits" it would provide you in the future is a terrible decision. Do what makes you happy.

Many successful businesspeople don't study business in their undergrad careers. Find something that makes you happy - and you can turn it into a business anyway.
Was this helpful? Yes 0