yconic - Not taking Grade 12 Physics...How hard is it going to be at Univ?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Not taking Grade 12 Physics...How hard is it going to be at Univ?

A photo of aquarius aquarius
Hi guys ,

I am not planning to take Grade 12 Physics , and from what I understand eg.University of Guelph you practically need to take 3 semesters of Physics as opposed to 2 semesters had I taken it at Grade 12.

My question : Is this the same at other Universities too eg, Macmaster or Western.

2nd Question : Is it better to take Physics in Grade 12 to avoid additional semester and drop Calculus (G12) as I have Advanced Functions with the assumption that AF is all I need.

Thanks in advance
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of MariamPatel MariamPatel
For most science programs in Universities, if you look at the pre-requisites, it says physics is not a requirement but is recommended ; that means it would be a very good idea to take it during grade 12. If you're worried about keeping your average up during grade 12 then take it during the summer after you've finished grade 12. It will be easier for you if you take the physics course. Sure they practically re-teach you some stuff in university, but again it's no where near as laid back as in high school. The professors are not going to go slowly and make sure you know everything. They expect you to know from before. I also think you should take calculus and advanced functions both. Make sure you have two spares in grade 12 so that way you can maintain your average. Get rid of grade 12 English during night school or something, and just do physics during summer school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Phase Phase

@MariamPatel wrote
For most science programs in Universities, if you look at the pre-requisites, it says physics is not a requirement but is recommended ; that means it would be a very good idea to take it during grade 12. If you're worried about keeping your average up during grade 12 then take it during the summer after you've finished grade 12. It will be easier for you if you take the physics course. Sure they practically re-teach you some stuff in university, but again it's no where near as laid back as in high school. The professors are not going to go slowly and make sure you know everything. They expect you to know from before. I also think you should take calculus and advanced functions both. Make sure you have two spares in grade 12 so that way you can maintain your average. Get rid of grade 12 English during night school or something, and just do physics during summer school.

Wrong. This may be true for other courses such as first year biology and chemistry, but not physics. High school physics is algebra based and quite simple, while first year phyiscs in university is calculus based. Just looking back at my grade 12 physics notes and my physics textbook for first year, only a few concepts are the same. Approaching the problems and solving them are taught in completely different ways.

OP: You're really better off not taking physics and taking Calculus instead. In fact, I really recommend taking calculus as it will be very useful in a first year physics class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0