yconic - Notes: Taking and Organization
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Notes: Taking and Organization

A photo of Domi94 Domi94
I know some profs post their notes online at the begining of the year...

My question(s) about that: for any student who has had this experiance, what program did they use to make these notes, and how are they exported to be posted online? Is it an editable file? And how early in the semester (or year?) are the notes posted?

I want to be able to take notes from the lecture on my laptop in the same file as the notes given. Is this doable?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner
It depends on the prof.

Some post their powerpoint slides online. Some post very brief outlines as word documents. Some post PDFs. I have yet to have a prof that posts everything online - they always leave something out so you have to go to class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Usually it's in powerpoint or pdf format. You can always edit ppts (I think) and if you have the right program then you will be able to add notes to pdfs as well (even secure ones); I use Foxit Reader. Most profs don't upload everything at once, in my experience. It usually goes up the day before class or sometimes 10 mins before class.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

@inthemaking wrote
Usually it's in powerpoint or pdf format. You can always edit ppts (I think) and if you have the right program then you will be able to add notes to pdfs as well (even secure ones); I use Foxit Reader. Most profs don't upload everything at once, in my experience. It usually goes up the day before class or sometimes 10 mins before class.

Very true! And sometimes not until after class - again, profs want people to come to class and pay attention!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Domi94 Domi94
Yeah I'm pretty sure you can always edit ppt's, it was the PDF's I was worried about - so thanks for the program suggestion, I'll definately take a look at that.
Also,I guess, as long as there's wifi in the buildings you could just download them in class if you're early..
I figured prof's wouldn't give you full notes since they want you to go to class - but thanks for the confirmation. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Skookybird Skookybird
I recently bought a laptop for starting University... Should I use it to take notes or go with the ol’ pen and paper? (Staying focused isn’t really an issue for me.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0