yconic - Nuclear engineering or engineering physics
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Nuclear engineering or engineering physics

A photo of nakhuda93 nakhuda93
So the story is I got into nuke eng at uoit and engineering at mcmaster. If i do engineering at mcmaster I want to do engineering physics or mechanical engineering. The problem is that I can't decide if I should do that or nuclear engineering. Engineering phsyics seems pretty cool, but what kinds of jobs do people get with that? How do the two schools compare, I know mac is better for engineering in general, but at the same time the nuclear program at uoit is really good too. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Interestingly enough, i'm in a similar position as you, but my debate is between mechanical and engineering physics.

from what i heard:
engineering physics has the hardest math courses at Mac from all fields.

you can specialize into the nuclear stream after a couple years

its an accredited nuclear program

something to also consider - nuclear engineering is... difficult? specialized? i would say your graduate degree is a lot more important than your undergrad, so i wouldnt worry where ya go for it.

i'm choosing mac btw
Was this helpful? Yes 0

mech at uoit? lol if it has hard math then I may reconsider... Its not that im bad at math i dont like it, i find it quite annoying, especially in highschool when it is completely irrelevant to what i want to do as a career. Nuclear engineering is also accredited and if I end up doing nuclear engineering regardless I would rather go to uoit since I get specialized courses starting in first year. with my current average I also get $1500 rather then the measly $600 from mac. I don't plan on going to grad school. a lot of my friends parents work at opg and im banking on opg hiring most of the nuke eng class from uoit fresh outta school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

http://engphys.mcmaster.ca/Level%201/Jobs%20in%20Engineering%20Physics.pdf
scratch that opg hires out of mac too and mac actually has their own nuclear reactor.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike

@nakhuda93 wrote
http://engphys.mcmaster.ca/Level%201/Jobs%20in%20Engineering%20Physics.pdf
scratch that opg hires out of mac too and mac actually has their own nuclear reactor.

i was going to mention the reactor, but its negligible. as an undergraduate you won't get any opportunities near it LOL.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

still, it's gotta count for something right? Ya I think I might actually go to mac.
Was this helpful? Yes 0