yconic - Nursing - Queens Vs McMaster
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Nursing - Queens Vs McMaster

A photo of MecoTher MecoTher
I really want to go to one of these schools, I'm a leaning a little towards Mac, can anyone tell me which one they think would be better? I've heard great things about both, but I don't know much about Queens
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
I don't know ANYTHING about Queen's so I'm not going to pretend that I do...
I just wanted to throw an idea out there.. Have you looked at any schools other than those two?

Last year i REALLY REALLY wanted to go to Mac. I didn't end up getting in there and I was really upset. But after being at Western this year I'm actually quite happy I didn't get in there. I work with someone in the Mac program, so I've done some comparison. And it seems like we get to do things MUCH faster than those in the Mac/Mac collabs... The girl I was talking to is actually in her third year... She wasn't allowed to give medications until second year, and do injections until third, and we're doing that by April. (I know these sources are slightly biased) but we've been told (about transferring to another school) that it would be a REALLY bad idea because of the difference in how the programs are made up, we'd be redoing things.

That being said, I still think Mac has a really good program. But I also think you should look into more than two schools, because you could end up really surprised with what you find.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I've been looking into queens, ottawa, mac, and uoit. I honestly didn't even know Western had nursing so thank you!
can you tell me a little about the placements and things like that? I know mac does Problem Based Learning does Western?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fahidguitar fahidguitar
its really up to u. what matters is the following:
- do you care about city-life, or are u a stay at home kinda person.
- smaller or bigger universities? whats ur pref?
- on or off-campus housing? is it available?
- friends and family - are there any in either city for u?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MecoTher wrote
I've been looking into queens, ottawa, mac, and uoit. I honestly didn't even know Western had nursing so thank you!
can you tell me a little about the placements and things like that? I know mac does Problem Based Learning does Western?

The only university that doesn't have nursing that I know about is Guelph. U of T does, but it's a second entry program there.

I'm assuming by "placements" you mean clinical.. This is how we do it.
First term we have 3 hours of lab a week. And then second term we get 4 hours of lab a week, plus 12 hours of clinical. However, with Western's program you either study at western main campus or fanshawe campus. I chose to go to fanshawe becuase we get more clinical. Since it's the same program we have to have the same amount of "clinical" hours (they count lab as clinical). I'm pretty sure western gets 1 6 hour clinical shift a week, so they must get more lab or something. I'm not positive though so you might wanna double check that if you end up applying there.
As far as PBL goes, we don't do it. I'm not exactly sure what it is we do, but it's not that lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh I see, do you have clinical nearby? I'm looking into places that have hospitals nearby, I really want to do peds and having a clinical placement in fourth year in peds would be helpful
Was this helpful? Yes 0

First year we're doing long term care so it's in nursing homes. But after that you won't have a problem getting clinical nearby. London has something like 3/4 hospitals, including a sick kids. I'm looking into paeds as well. You also might like to know that during second year you do a child health rotation
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
CUDO says they're all at 100% employment rate after 6 months at those universities. Can't go wrong with that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uroosa uroosa
seriosely to tell u the truth just go with mac cuz its harder to get in but easier to stay as the GPA average is lower and also its closer rather then queens which is all the way at the other end of the world
Was this helpful? Yes 0

you also have to look at what you're getting yourself into.. just because you get a higher gpa at mac doesn't mean you'll like the program better. all nursing programs are structured differently. and unless you want to apply for med school after or something, nobody is going to care what your gpa was. the world wants nurses. if you qualify as a nurse, they won't care what your grades were. the only courses that actually matter are pass or fail anyways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of susanlee729 susanlee729
I'm in first year nuring program and I absolutely love it!
As for which univeristy is better is all up to you.
If you don't feel like you belong in that environment, you will not do well in school.
I do not go to queens but I heard from a queen graduate that their clinical placements are good.

Good luck in your endeavours:)
and go nurses!!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of davedave123 davedave123
to go into mcmaster healthscience, average must be 95+ and this is a know course
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of davedave123 davedave123
to go into mcmaster healthscience, average must be 95+ and this is a known course
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sn86 sn86
Mac used to have a program where you can do nursing in 3 years. I'm not sure if it is still open. Mac is a good school and I heard that job opportunities are a bit higher there as they help you get a job when you graduate
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gecko Gecko

@MecoTher wrote
Oh I see, do you have clinical nearby? I'm looking into places that have hospitals nearby, I really want to do peds and having a clinical placement in fourth year in peds would be helpful

If you're looking for the possibility of a placement to get into peds, I would try to stay close to the city (more options), if you choose western you are mainly limiting yourself to the London area, they do have a partnership with SickKids downtown Toronto however, to get a placement there is VERY competitive.

IF you have any questions/interest in the Ryerson Program let me know.

Cheers
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gecko Gecko

@MecoTher wrote

If you're looking for the possibility of a placement to get into peds, I would try to stay close to the city (more options), if you choose western you are mainly limiting yourself to the London area, they do have a partnership with SickKids downtown Toronto however, to get a placement there is VERY competitive.

Cheers
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kdun kdun
Hey everyone, so I was just wondering quickly do you have to have grade 12 math for queens/mac or is your gr 11 one still okay?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ttaarraa ttaarraa
[quote=Gecko]
@MecoTher wrote

Cheers

Hello,
Ryerson Nursing is my number one choice, I have a few questions if you don't mind.
1. Are you studying at the Ryerson site?
2. What was your admission average?
3. Is it extremely difficult with such a heavy course load?
4. I don't have an extremely strong stomach, but I'm willing to work on it to become a nurse. Is that going to be a problem? Have you done any things do far that have made people queasy?

Thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ammoreault ammoreault
It all depends on how you learn best. Things to consider are class size, and not to mention tuition! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Gecko Gecko
ttaarraa - PM SENT ( I dont want to steal someones thread)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Gecko wrote

@MecoTher wrote

Cheers

Western has a guaranteed paeds rotation second year. From what I have been told in 4th year you choose what you want from a list of like 100 placements, and i'm sure you'd be able to get into london sick kids assuming not everyone wants it
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of quintessentiality quintessentiality

@davedave123 wrote
to go into mcmaster healthscience, average must be 95+ and this is a known course

Nope! You have a good shot with a 93% (:

For the nursing question, I think there's a lot to consider
-class sizes
-tuition
I'd say Mac, mostly because I personally think Queens is better known for their commerce program, and Mac is better known for Science.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

sorry i haven't been on the site for a while!
but my marks have dropped, which is screwing me over, but if anyone here has gotten into mac, my literally dream school, for nursing can you tell me what your graduating average was?
i know it all depends on the year, but i'd like to have a basis. i know that they want 89% to be considered.
Was this helpful? Yes 0