yconic - Nursing Hopefuls 2015!
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Nursing Hopefuls 2015!

A photo of princessyukichan princessyukichan
Hey everyone!

I saw this thread last year and thought it was worth while to do! For anyone applying to 4 or 2 year programs.

1. Which school(s) are you applying to?
2. What other programs are you applying to as your back up?
3. What average are you aiming for your final year?
EXTRA - I want current Nursing students to be included as well! Tell us where you go, where you applied to and what your GPA in Grade 12 was or post secondary if thats what your doing right now. Also, a few pointers, tips and guidance is always great!:cheers:

1. I want to go to McMaster (4 year), Queens (4 year or 2 year), Western (2 year), UofT
2. Nursing, and nothing else!
3. I had mid 80's in high school and currently have a 3.1 from Uoft B.A second year

So common guys, reveal yourselves! ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 5
1375 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
1. McMaster and Ryerson (main site for both!)
2. No back-ups!
3. I graduated high school with a 92% average

I went to university but quickly withdrew without academic penalty and was wondering if this would affect my admission into these programs at all? I'm still a 105d applicant.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of theresa9705 theresa9705
1. Mcmaster for nursing ( also health sciences)
2. Queens
3. aiming for a 93
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lemaune Lemaune
1. All the collab programs - main interest is MoMac though
2. No back ups... just hoping I'll get in lol
3. 83-86% - I'm horrible at english so that always brings my average down
Was this helpful? Yes 2

when I was applying to uni 2 yrs ago the average to get into Mac was 90%, and that may have gone up by now, so I think you should keep a back up! The program at Ryerson now requires an 88% average I think
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cc1212 cc1212
1. MoMac, Macmaster, Western, UNB/Humber
2. Pre Health
3. aiming for 88%
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of dariaib dariaib
1. Western, Queens and McMaster (in that order)
2. Ryerson is a back up, or criminology
3. Aiming for 90%+ but I am trying to make up for blowing off school the past two years so it's unlikely
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of bruiseleet bruiseleet
Hi guys, a lot of you want to become nurses and thats great to hear.

I started a nursing program this year at mcmaster (main site).
For my admission, the nursing programs i applied to is western(main site) and queens. I got accepted into both at the same time i got accepted to mcmaster. I had an average of 91.6% in grade 12 and i got accepted in early May. The average for mcmaster was around ~90% this year and jumped up 3-4% from last year and it is expected to go up. The nursing program at mcmaster is not easy but neither is it hard. If you like small group interactions(PBL), then i recommend this program.

For tips, focus on getting those ~90% averages(you should still enjoy grade 12 if you are in highschool), start building work ethic. Canadian Nursing schools are not that hard compared to the States --> dont be scared if you wont last. Extracurriculars dont mean sh*t for nursing programs application, so unless you enjoy doing ECs dont feel like you have to do it. lastly, MAKE SURE YOU ARE CONFIDENT WITH THIS CAREER PATH
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Hey, if you didn't go to mac, would you have gone to Queens or Western?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maya18 maya18
How is the small group work at mac ? , if your not confident is it a deal breaker ? Its my first choice .
Was this helpful? Yes 2

A photo of bruiseleet bruiseleet

@maya18 wrote
How is the small group work at mac ? , if your not confident is it a deal breaker ? Its my first choice .

im not sure about next year, but my group is 10-12 people. In your group will be an instructor who will facilitate discussions and to pass the course, your instructor must decide whether or not you will go into next semester. The only way to get your instructor to pass you is to participate,share, talk,etc. in your group. What you talk about will change week to week,but generally it is about course material and your opinions. You must pass this part and pass your other evaluations (essay,report) to pass the course.

You will be with the same 10-12 people for the whole semester and next semester. You will be with them around ~8 hours a week, so if you hate your group, then you might not like it (highly unlikely).Similarly, these people may become your friends. In the next 3 years of your undergraduate, you will also be in another 10-12 people group.

I know some people who regret going to school for their BScN as the only area of profession that you can enter is in the nursing/healthcare field. So if you are not confident that you will be a nurse in the future, then i suggest you should apply to a more general/broader program. This is more of a heads-up, no one wants to go to school for something they dont like and waste $28,000+ for a "useless" degree(in their opinion)

if you have more questions, feel free to ask :cheese:
Hope you'll still choose mac :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 2

This post was deleted

Hey, I'm just finishing my first year at CoMac which is the same program, different campus (Conestoga). They told me that they are actually making PBL groups a lot bigger for next year (at least double) as well as clinical as they are trying to cut down on costs for tutors. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

When were you accepted into Mac? Everyone says they are really late at sending them out and I haven't heard from them yet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rebeccabriell rebeccabriell
It's so exciting to see all the people considering nursing. I'm in my first year at Trent university and I love it. But if I can tell you one thing, make sure you get your grades up to at least a 90 average. I applied to Trent, Queen's, McMaster, Western and University of Ottawa. At first semester, my average was 88 which got me early acceptance to Trent but by the end of the year my average had dropped to an 85 so I didn't get any more acceptances. Even Ottawa where the average was 86 stopped looking at my application even though it was one percent away. So make sure you focus on your grades if you want to get into the really competitive programs, or any nursing programs. Even if a school has a low minimum average, don't assume if you have the minimum, you will get in. Trent has a minimum average of 75 to be considered but there was a cut off grade of 84 because of the amount of applicants, and I know people who applied to nursing here with an 83 average and were not accepted. It's a lot of work and the work doesn't stop once you're in university but it's an amazing program and I'm so glad I chose it. Good luck this year and in all your applications!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

A photo of musikchik9 musikchik9
Hey guys! I'm a first year nursing student at Lakehead University in the compressed program - it allows me to get a BScN in 3 years rather than 4. I highly recommend the program to anyone! The profs are so approachable and everyone in your program is willing to lend a hand. You also get to meet people from various walks of life on a personal level since the classes are so small.

I would recommend to prospective nurses to take Data Management in high school. Save your notes, and stats will be such a breeze :)
The chemistry is pretty similar to Gr.12 chemistry, so save your notes for that as well.

As for marks, I would say to try to maintain them in an 85+ range if you want fair chance at any university

I applied to Queen's, McMaster, McGill, and Lakehead all for nursing. I was accepted to all 4, but chose to attend LU. The smaller class sizes really do help in the learning process and I do not regret coming here at all :)

Although I do not want to refrain anyone from thinking about applying to more prestigious universities, do not rule out the smaller ones!

** I am not a promoter for LU **

AND anyone feel free to PM me if you need anything!!! I'd love to help! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 3

I applied to the 4 year BScN at LU, Western, Ottawa U, and Queen's. The other day I got an Alternative Offer from LU into the 3 year compressed program, but have not heard anything from any of the others yet. Wondering how much holidays you get during the summer and Christmas? I like the idea of being done in 3 years instead of 4 but I was planning on working over the summers.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Kyra what was your average if you mind me asking?  I applied to the LU compressed program and just submitted midterms.  I'm a 105d applicant with post secondary.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Also kyra I took this from another forum from 2012 that might explain your alternative offer.  
"Apply at Lakehead, the compressed program is 3 years though. I applied with 1.5 years of BSc, approx 71% average from that degree. I also applied to the 4 year program, got accepted to the compressed but not the 4 year lol. Graduated the compressed with a 3.85 GPA. Showed them... lol anyways"
Was this helpful? Yes 1

It was great reading a thread from a Lakehead Nursing student.  I have been accepted in the Nursing program. I have searching online for a Lakehead student to get some information on studying in Thunder Bay.  Could you recommend some places to live close to campus?  What tips do you have to surviving first year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Carol are you taking the 3 year or 4 year program at Lakehead?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Kristin I'm not sure what grade they based my average on to be honest, I have been out of high school for 6 years (graduated in 2009). I'm also a 105d applicant -- I have a diploma in Social Service Work (2 year program, graduated in 2012), I'm thinking my average in that should be somewhere in the high 70's or low 80's as I had all 90s in my first year, and then all high 60s to low 70s in the second year (partying got the best of me in the second year...). 

For the past year and a half I have been working full time and doing part-time school upgrading high school credits so that I could be eligible for nursing. So far I have completed 12 U Math (Advanced Functions) with a 93% and 12 U Chemistry with about a 90% (haven't been given my final grade, but thats my best guess), and am currently finishing up 12 U Biology and 12 U English, of which all my marks have been over 88%. 

After writing this giant paragraph, it seems likely they based it on my college grades though. They would have only had my final math grade to look at of the prerequisites at the time that I received the alternate offer. However, if they did look at my grade 12 high school marks, I did have honours in grade 12, but can't remember the exact mark; somewhere in the 80s though. 

I'm definitely warming up to the 3 year, there are so many positives about going to LU for me, however, the idea of not working as much as I had planned in the somewheres stresses me out! You said you applied to the 3 year; if you don't mind me asking, do you have a plan on how to stretch finances to last over that time? Just looking for tips really! 

Hope you get in and maybe we will be meeting in class! :)

Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi kyra.  I was accepted last week! I am moving to Thunder Bay this June with my boyfriend who will be working full time.  I will be applying for Osap to cover some of the costs and will be working part time as a waitress.  Tips make a good 20-30 dollars an hour so I don't need to work as much.   I also graduated highschool 6 years ago and graduated college 3 years ago.  I hope to see you in class this September.  It will be nice having another 24-26 year old around!  :)

Ps.  For summer term first year the only thing we need to take is 2 full credit electives, our course load for the first summer should be relatively low, so you should be able to book more hours at work. (I'm just guessing, but I looked at the time table for last years)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Also make sure you apply for the transfer student bursary!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Kristin - thats so awesome!! Congrats!! My boyfriend will also be moving with me wherever I choose to go, and will work full time. I will also be applying for OSAP but I don't think I will get much, but I am also going to get a student line of credit and I have been saving quite a bit. I will definitely have to get a part time job too. Knowing that the summer course load is low is definitely going on the positives of my pros & cons list though -- and also knowing that there will for sure be someone there close to my age! :) If I do go to Lakehead, we will be moving there in late August. Also, if you don't mind me asking, where are you moving from? I will be moving from Kenora (about 6 hours away from Thunderbay -- another positive to going to LU -- close to home!). And yes I applied for that bursary! I have been searching for all the bursaries and scholarships I can possibly apply to! lol 

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey Kyra!

I'm moving from London.  19-21 hour drive!  I have been told that the program at Lakehead is awesome and that class sizes are smaller so it's easier to learn.  We're moving in around June since that's when my boyfriend starts his job.  We are having a really hard time finding a rental though.  :(. Rental prices for houses are ridiculous up there, but we're not losing hope!  Anyways hope to see you in class this coming September!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey Kristin - London is way cheaper than Northwestern Ontario. I've looked at apartment costs for London, Kingston, Ottawa and Thunder Bay to get an idea of what we would be paying in any one of those places, and London was by far the cheapest. Rent in Thunder Bay costs the same as Kenora. I also haven't seen much on kjiji in Thunder Bay for actual house rentals, but I have seen a lot of apartments. 

My first pick originally was Western in London so it is kind of funny to me that that is where you are coming from lol. I was basing my choice on wanting to get out of Northwestern Ontario to go somewhere completely different. I am re-evaluating that now though. So many positives of going to LU, like you mentioned the small class sizes, and I know people in nursing there now who have said its an awesome program, and being closer to home and family makes everything easier too. But anyhow, I am rambling.. lol

Hope you find a place and have a safe trip/move up here!! :)

Was this helpful? Yes 2

How is the Nursing program in lakehead.I mean that of 3 yrs
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Kyra Strath:

Christmas time all depends on when your exams are scheduled. The entire month of December is dedicated to exams, so you could possibly have it all crammed in the first week or have like what I had (spread over 3 weeks). After 1st year, you have to complete your elective classes (1.5 FCE) in the summer. Now, this is where scheduling and organizing comes into practice. Some 0.5 FCE classes are completed in 3 weeks, while some take 6 weeks. Most 1.0 FCE classes take 6 weeks. There is both a Spring Session (May-June) and a Summer Session (July-August), with various lengths of classes in both sessions. Most complete their electives in the Spring session and work for the last 2 months of the summer, but I took classes in both the Spring and Summer. 
Depending on which elective classes you take will determine how much time commitment is needed for the classes. I took a 1.0 FCE Economics elective that took up quite a bit of time, but some of my classmates took a 1.0 FCE psychology elective that was wayyyy easier. 
The summer break after 2nd year is just all of August. However, you do have the option of doing a clinical placement during August and finishing the degree in February of the following year rather than April (so, compressing the 3 year program to ~2 2/3 years). 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

@Carol Brown
As for living arrangements, I'm afraid I don't have many references. I lived with my Aunt off campus to save a few dollars as opposed from living in residence. I met girl who found a roomate on Kijiji!! 
No matter where you live, first year will be a blast! It can get a little challenging, but everyone is in the same boat. You will all get very supportive of each other and everyone is always willing to lend a hand. I find the course material time consuming, rather than difficult. It takes a very special person to want to enter Nursing and if you were able to be accepted to the program, you have what it takes to complete it. 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Anonymous

The compressed nursing program here at LU is amazing!! 
All of your classmates are so nice and you will make many friends. The classwork can get overwhelming at times, but you will get through it together. I have a classmate who transferred from nursing school from down South and she said that LU is way more hands-on than what she experienced. The profs are really passionate about the subject they teach, as most of them are either retired RN's with Ph.D's/currently working RN's. I have no regrets in choosing Lakehead! 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Heey I am applying next year for the nursing program, Was wondering if you are still on here and if you could tell me about the program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lemaune Lemaune

@musikchik9 wrote
Hey guys! I'm a first year nursing student at Lakehead University in the compressed program - it allows me to get a BScN in 3 years rather than 4. I highly recommend the program to anyone! The profs are so approachable and everyone in your program is willing to lend a hand. You also get to meet people from various walks of life on a personal level since the classes are so small.

I would recommend to prospective nurses to take Data Management in high school. Save your notes, and stats will be such a breeze :)
The chemistry is pretty similar to Gr.12 chemistry, so save your notes for that as well.

As for marks, I would say to try to maintain them in an 85+ range if you want fair chance at any university

I applied to Queen's, McMaster, McGill, and Lakehead all for nursing. I was accepted to all 4, but chose to attend LU. The smaller class sizes really do help in the learning process and I do not regret coming here at all :)

Although I do not want to refrain anyone from thinking about applying to more prestigious universities, do not rule out the smaller ones!

** I am not a promoter for LU **

AND anyone feel free to PM me if you need anything!!! I'd love to help! :)

What was your advantage when you applied?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi I was just wondering if you can apply to the compressed program directly from high school and what are the requirements?

Also, I am aiming to become a doctor but want to do my undergrad in nursing. Would Lakehead be a good choice?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

The prerequisite for the compressed program at Lakehead is a 80 average in highschool with the usual grade 12 U English, grade 12 U math, grade 12 U Bio and grade 12 U Chem or a minimum GPA of 3.0 from college with the same highschool course prerequisites. The class sizes are smaller so it makes learning easier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey, I was wondering why you chose to go to lakehead? I'm having trouble deciding whether to go to queens or mcgill for nursing. Queens has the smallest class size, but it's facilities are a bit older. McGill is far, the most expensive, but offers first year clinicals and internation exchanges. Where should I go?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Heyy!! Did you mean "average"?
My average was 97.5
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aestasautumnus aestasautumnus
1. Queen's, McMaster, Georgian-York
2. I don't have a backup.
3. I had a 93% top-6 average in Grade 12. 90's in my University courses this semester.

I'm a 105D applicant, but I'm only in first year University.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Any 105d applicants?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Me! Took a year to re take some classes and got in to UofO where I wanted! You?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of googlymoogly googlymoogly
1. George Brown or York. i wanna stay at home!
2. Dental Hygiene and Kin :)
3. Honestly mid to high 80s. But with how Bio is right now, God knows if thats gonna happen :(
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of student7896 student7896
Hey,

Has anyone heard about/applied to UNBF, UPEI, or St. FX nursing?

1. I applied to those universities.
2. I'm currently a first year at Dalhousie in Science
3. I had a 91.6% average in high school and currently have a 3.7 GPA
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jcade52 jcade52

1.) I'm applying to Ottawa U (all three campuses) and Ryerson!
2.) Only applying for nursing
3.) I'm aiming for an 88 or higher! Really hoping to bring up my bio mark
Was this helpful? Yes 1

bump
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of Cokerella Cokerella
1. Ryerson, Western and York (all collab and main programs, except for York which is only Seneca). So 6 applications in total. Would much prefer Ryerson though :D

2. No back ups, it's nursing for me.

3. Currently have 83%, but will have 85-86% for sure by midterms next semester.

So I was wondering if I'm likely to get into any of those programs with an 85-86% this year. I was looking at other programs like Trent and Brock and if none of the 6 i apply to are likely I'll add these two.

Also MoMac? Possible for my avg?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I got into trent yesterday with an 86 i believe. I had 90's except for english and math which were high 70s
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gsimrit gsimrit
Hello all!
Its great to see so many people interested in nursing.I am currently at Ryerson University main site nursing. My avg to get in was 91%. Nursing is becoming increasingly competitive. I think last years cut off for my site around 90 so aim for a 90+. I'm only saying this because its still another semester left to get your marks up. Not only that but also master your work ethic and time management. I can only speak for ryerson's program. And it is not easy having 7 courses in one semester. That being said it is not impossible, many people do it. But like someone said before me, make sure you want to be in nursing bc there will be times you seriously question it.
In just wanna say one thing though: in the end it shouldn't matter too much what nsg program you graduate from bc we all write the NCLEX in the end.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi, I just had a few questions about Ryerson's nursing program.

1. How does it stand compared to other Universities? Right now I am considering McMaster and Ryerson so which one in your opinion has a better learning experience. (my end goal is to go into medicine btw)
2. How is the workload and difficulty of the work for nursing at Ryerson?
3. Is it all 4 years in Uni or are you taking 2 yrs college and 2 yrs Uni?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

hello everyone :)

1. I've applied to 7 schools (I know...its a lot). Mac, Western, Laurentian, OttawaU, Trent, Windsor and Ryerson (all main sites)
2. I have no back up!
3. I'm in grade 12 right now and i'm trying to work towards a 90%+ average at least.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BestUserNameEver BestUserNameEver
Im a first year nursing student at Ryerson. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Keep working hard everyone!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Hey I (stupidly) applied to McMaster's on site program. And have given up on it altogether. A lot of things happened this year and my grades arent where they could be. Ryerson is my dream right now and I'm hoping I'll get in somehow.

i have an overall average of 86 for midterms.
English 85
Bio 86
Chemistry 92
adv fnc 80
data 81
Change 86

How likely is it that i will get in.

ALSO DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW UNIS CONSIDER MIDTERMS? do they look at the midterms alone or the total of all 6 averages?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

This post was deleted

Which math did you take in grade 12?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of klee647 klee647

@BestUserNameEver wrote
Im a first year nursing student at Ryerson. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Keep working hard everyone!

Do you know if Ryerson have any rules on taking courses again and elearning? & what average did you have to get into the program?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Did you take the collabrotive program? And what was your average? Finally, do you think with an 83-85 average, it's possible to get into either York or UOIT?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of ShawnThompson ShawnThompson
HELLO EVERYONE! :)

I currently attend Queens University as a First Year Nursing Student in the 4-Year stream. I absolutely love my school and love nursing and believe it was the best option for myself! :)

I am also a Murse (male nurse). I graduated high school with a 93.5 average.

If you ever have any questions about schools, programs, Queens, Nursing, Male Nursing, or anything related to applying feel free to message me with any questions I would love to help! :)

Good luck! And always remember, marks are only as successful as the smiles, experiences, and friends you make along side of them! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 3

I'm in the process of figuring out which school to choose between Queens , Western and Mac.Could you tell me how the program is , the lecturer and exams etc. Do you know if we get to choose the placements etc.

appreciate any feedback.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi, why did you choose to go to queens? Also are there any international exchanges for nurses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What made you choose Queens over other schools?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm a male student planing to attend Queens Nursing in September 2016. I just got accepted yesterday with an average of 93%. I was wondering how the experience is at queens, specifically as a male in nursing. How many other male students are in each year typically ? Any male profs ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BestUserNameEver BestUserNameEver
@klee647 I am actually not quite sure whether Ryerson has rules or not if you retake high school courses. I am pretty sure there is no problem with taking any elearning course as long as they are a U/M course. I got into program with a 92 average in February. Hope that helps!

@ ShawnThompson male nurses woot woot!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi, I just had a few questions about Ryerson's nursing program.

1. How does it stand compared to other Universities? Right now I am considering McMaster and Ryerson so which one in your opinion has a better learning experience. (my end goal is to go into medicine btw)
2. How is the workload and difficulty of the work for nursing at Ryerson?
3. Is it all 4 years in Uni or are you taking 2 yrs college and 2 yrs Uni?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aliceglass aliceglass

@BestUserNameEver wrote

Hi!

I was wondering:

1. How does the Ryerson nursing program differ from the others? (I heard it's less science based and more practical)
2.How do you see job prospects?
3. Is rent expensive in Toronto? (I heard that you have to find your own place 2nd year because residence is not guaranteed)

Thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0