yconic - Nursing Hopefuls for 2017!
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Nursing Hopefuls for 2017!

There was already a post for students hoping to become nurses in 2016 (as posted by Molly Perrigo). Now this new post is for those of us trying to become nursing students in 2017! 

So, please share: 
1. Which school(s) are you applying to? 
2. What other programs are you applying to as your back up?
3. What overall average are you aiming for in your final year? 

I have applied to Centennial, George Brown, as well as Seneca. 

My backup program is biomedical sciences at Ryerson. 

I'm aiming for an average of 90. 
Was this helpful? Yes 3
2030 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I am aiming for a 90 average and am planning on applying to uOttawa, Queens, Western, Ryerson (main site), Trent and McGill
Was this helpful? Yes 4

Hey! Im aiming for a 95 and I'm applying to Ryerson mainsite
Was this helpful? Yes 1

What was your grade 11 average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I can honestly say I did not do well in grade 11, I slacked off way too much so I'm just hoping that 12 will overshadow everything
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Thanks for the help! Do you think a 95% is good for early acceptance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The website link isn't working.. am i the only one?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I am in my first year at queens, so if you have any questions feel free to ask me!:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What was your grade 12 average going into queens? Also what was your overall experience of first year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So far, I've loved queens. Queens has one of the most Frosh weeks out of all the universities and you get to know upper years not only as mentors, but on a personal level. All the upper years are super sweet and would do anything to help out the first years. Throughout the first week of classes, I was consistently asked if I needed help with anything. Profs are super nice and always willing to help, unlike most universities. Queens is very difficult to get into (it had an 11.3% acceptance rate last year) so make sure you aim for mid 90s. I recommend working hard in grade 11 to get early acceptance as the acceptance average is only going go increase as the year goes on. Queens is also very independent learning and science based so you need to be self motivated. Queens was the right choice for me, but it may not be for everyone so make sure you do your research and apply to somewhere that's right for you. I was accepted at the end of first semester with a 94% average
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hello! I am interested but I have little information on queen's nursing! I would love to know about the program and what first year is like.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What was your grade 11 average and what sort of extra curriculars did you have? Do you think you got in just from your grades or were there other aspects that you think helped too?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey :) 

I have a few questions about the Queens Nursing program,
- How's the course work load? Is it manageable?
- When you applied did you also submit your extra circulars 
- What other universities did you apply to?

Sorry for the overload of question!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Did you have to write the PSE and do you think it helped you get accepted?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hello, may I know what your admission average was for getting into Queens Nursing? Also, do you recommend filling out a PSE? If so, any tips?

Thank you very much!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi everyone! I am also in my first year at Queen's nursing. I got accepted in late February last year and I had I think around a 92-93 avg! I did fill out the PSE, and I recommend you definitely fill it out if you're interested in Queen's. It doesn't take too long to fill out and it can only help. My grade 11 average was around the same as my grade 12, maybe a little bit lower. My major extracurricular was high school student council, and also my experience playing volleyball for 8 years. With the PSE, I would definitely add any work experience you have and any volunteer work you have done/any awards you have gotten. Like I said, it will only help!:) I also applied to the McMaster and Western Nursing programs, as well as a few science programs (including Queen's) and I ultimately chose Queen's because the school is honestly so beautiful and has such a fun atmosphere with lots of traditions. The nursing classes are very small as well, around 95 students. First year has been great so far, and I found the work load very manageable. Let's just say I watched every season of Gilmore Girls in about 4 or 5 weeks hahaha! It starts off pretty general for first semester, which is really nice and you really learn a lot in such a short amount of time. Overall I really recommend Queen's not just for nursing but any program you might want to go into! I'm here for any other questions you guys have :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is 95% good for early acceptance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Did anyone take the CASPER that was required for McMaster?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I was wondering about that too! I'm actually so scared about the whole test :(
Was this helpful? Yes 1

It's not difficult. I'm in the Co-Mac program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi Megan Simpson, 
Were the CASPER questions open ended questions? What were they generally like? 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I'm in the Mo-mac program right now. The CASPer test was not difficult, but it does require quick and creative thinking. All the questions are pretty random and has nothing to do with nursing, so you can't really study for it in any way. You're basically given scenarios/ problems and you have 5 minutes to answer 3 open ended questions (ex. What would you do, how do you feel about ...., etc.). My best advice is to make sure you try to answer all 3 questions, but in a way that your answers are thoughtful and creative. There are practice questions you can attempt on the website. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

how is the job market for nurses now? in toronto?

are there always jobs if you go out of the city?
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Hey guys, just wanted to wish y'all the best in your senior year of high school. If you have any Q's in regards to admission, school, grades etc, I'm currently a 1st yr in the Ryerson-GBC collab nursing program so feel free to ask me anything (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Whats the different between the mainsite program and the collab nursing program? I'm planning on applying for both mainsite and the GBC collab program. What was your average in grade 12 and hows the faculty?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey Vishnuka, sorry for the late reply!

The main difference b/n Mainsite & GBC for me was the entrance scholarship, as Ryerson's entrance scholarships don't apply to collab students going to either GBC/Centennial. This might be an important factor to consider.

Another major difference is the campus environment. GBC campus is newly built and so is our residence. The campus resides by Sugar Beach and it's a SINGLE building completely dedicated to health sciences. I'd recommend touring both Ryerson and GBC to see what kind of environment you feel most comfortable in.

The faculty has been welcoming since day 1 and the profs are approachable and quick w/ email replies. There are also an abundant of helpful resources like the anatomy learning group and skills practice for 1st year BScN Students at GBC. 

Academically in terms of curriculum, there is no difference. My final Gr.12 avg was 92.3%, and in the end I was personally drawn to GBC bc of its relaxing location, the new classrooms and labs, and the fact that I wanted to stay in one building for class. If you have any other Q's, please let me know! Good luck. (:
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Thank you so much for the reply!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Was the average cutoff different if you apply on the university website vs the college? (cause I heard the cut off average from last years, was higher on the college website application than university)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have a question about conditional offers. How do they work? Do they look at your first semester marks and what range do your average have to be in to get a conditional offer?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey there!

What are Conditional Offers: All offers are conditional until the school receives your final marks in June, meaning they can withdraw their offer if you don't meet the academic admission requirements stated on your Offer of Admission letter by June 30th. For Ryerson nursing, conditions include minimum final average, and minimum final grades you need for your prerequisites (english, bio, chem, gr11/gr12 math).

Do They Look at 1st Semester: Depending on when the admission office reviews your application, they look at any marks available to them through either OUAC or OCAS. For example, if they reviewed your application in Feb and your 1st semester grades are out, they'll primarily look at that and not your gr11 marks. Applications will be continuously monitored for updated marks as the year progresses, to they give out more offers, all of which are conditional as stated previously. 

Range of Average for Offer: As you know now that all offers are considered conditional, there is no avg that will secure a position in the program. 

Keep note that Ryerson has a tendency to give out most of their offers during before April so make sure your sem 1 avgs are at its best ! Once you get your offer as early as possible, you only have to maintain your avg as stated in your letter, which is much lower than the current competitive avg you need to get into the program. 

Was this helpful? Yes 1

Thank you so much again!!! One last question, at my school's university fair I was told by a representative from Mohawk-McMaster collaborative program that if I want to do any collaborative program for nursing I must applying on both OUAC and OCAS. Is that what you did when applying for Ryerson-GBC, or did you just apply through OUAC or vise versa?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

In your reply you also said, "Ryerson has a tendency to give out most of their offers during before April so make sure your sem 1 avgs are at its best", I am taking English, Advanced Functions and Drama this semester. Would that be a problem since I have Biology and Chemistry second semester since those two are also prerequisites or do they just look at semester one's the average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

1. For GBC and Centennial sites, you can apply through OCAS or OUAC, I personally applied through OCAS bc it was cheaper. 

2. I was in the same situation as you, where my science pre reqs were in 2nd semester. There has been debate as to whether this would affect being sent an offer over another w/ a lower avg but w/ their prerequisites done already in 1st semester. Personally, I think that was the case for me and a group of applicants last year who had higher avgs than those who were sent offers back in Feb, but they had their prerequisites in. 

Don't feel discouraged by this at all, bc none of that are things you can control. So just work hard in both semesters and the offers will come when they do! Just remember the important dates, and always read application instructions/uni emails to the letter (:
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi! Do you think an 83-85 average is good enough to get in? What did you get in with, if you don't mind me asking? And do the collaborative sites have more lenient acceptance as opposed to just nursing @ Ryerson? Hoping to get into either George Brown or Centennial!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey there, sorry for the late reply!

I received my conditional acceptance to GBC site in April with a 91.6% and my final gr12 avg was a 92.3%. Last Year Centennial site was around mid 80's, and GBC/Mainsite at high 80's to low 90's.

GBC and Ryerson gets competitive near the end due to the limited # of seats left as I've mentioned earlier in the thread, thus some applicants I knew last year had mid 80's and was accepted into main site, while others I knew had 90's later on the year and were placed onto the wait list instead. What I'm trying to say is there is no definite in getting an acceptance letter. It's all up to Ryerson's admission office, who decides for all 3 sites. W/ the exception of Centennial (85 is safe), try aiming for a 90 to stay competitive. The best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I have got a wait list at GB./ rye and the student admissions lady said I'm on top of the list. I have got an offer from Seneca as well but GB is my first choice. What do you think? Maybe accept Seneca and then hope to get GB? Please advise.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is 95% good for early admission at mainsite? How does the president national scharship work?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi there, just to clarify - is 95 your gr.11 avg or your target? Ryerson sends their first (earliest) round of conditional offers around February, so by then they'll have your semester one avg to decide.

In my year, the avg range in Feb for main was around 90, then 94+ after midterms, which is around April. I was waitlisted for the main site during that time w/ a 92% avg. As for the president national scholarship, I found the best way to get the correct info asap is to tweet them if the website doesn't already answer your questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Grade 11 and 12 average of 95%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What average should you have in order to get accepted to Western university? (Including main site and Fanshawe collab)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

In my sister's year 5 yeara ago, it was 88 Fanshaw 89/90 main site

pretty sure it is 89 Fanshaw 90/92 main site now
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I got accepted to the fanshawe collab last year with an 87% :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

1) I'm applying to George brown, centennial and humber for BScN. 
2) backup is ryerson for professional communications ( Because it seems like a program I'd be interested in)
3) I'm aiming for an 87+ average 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

BTW does anyone know how competitive humber nursing is? If so can u give me a rough estimate of the cutoff average
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It's not that competitive but if I were you make sure you at least do 2 or 3 of the nursing electives first semester that way they have your grades and can give you an early offer, don't be like me who only did bio first semester and then by the time second semester came around I had Chem,Math and English and ended up being waitlisted because Humber is a first come first serve type of school I got waitlisted with an 84 some people got in with a 75 because they did at least 2 of the electives first semester
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Is 90% a good enough average to get into nursing programs with???
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A 90 average is the safest but just so you know last year some people got waitlisted at ryerson main site with a 90 average
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you guys know what a good back up program to take, aside from nursing, but will still lead you there
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Take a science course and do a second entry program. I suggest kinesiology mainly because it focuses on the body. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Do you need to do science?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I know for uoft second entry nursing u need science prerequisites and kinesiology satisfies the requirements. I'm not sure about other universities tho
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Nursing at GBC, Humber and york.
Backup is respiratory therapy at Michener
Expected average 86 and above 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I am in grade 13 and repeated more than one course but McMaster does not consider students who repeat courses so thats out of the picture. 
1.Western, Brock, and Ryerson (in that order)
2.Law at Laurier, CPA at waterloo
3. 94%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Have you heard anything from Brock/do you know when they start accepting?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No i still haven't heard anything. Plus i have a 94% average with my top 4 4U classes (currently taking bio and chem) which should've gotten me in somewhere but only got an alternate offer from Brock for Public Health.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Considering Queen's University; however, I am wondering about their program and courses. Looking for a school that is very informative and offers many placements and clinical work. I am from a small town about 6hrs away so although I have looked through books and websites, it is hard to find more information on Queen's. When I did look at their look book; however, I fell in love with the campus and everything they offered, and their nursing information given made me feel like this is a place I want to consider. I have also heard great things about the university and the nursing program. Could anyone offer any information about 1st year nursing at Queen's?:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hey!
I'm currently in my first year for nursing at Queen's! :)  Is there anything specific you want to know about? 

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hello :)

I'm a McMaster-Conestoga nursing student feel free to ask me anything!
I was a university degree applicant (I have an undergrad and masters).
Was this helpful? Yes 1

what was your average going in? Is a 90 good enough??

Was this helpful? Yes 0

I had an 83% GPA from 4 years at Western.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hello! I just applied to Mohawk and Conestoga collab programs and was wondering what average students were able to get in with.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi Ava last year some people got into MoMac with just an 85 average (the minimum last year)  while others didn't get in with a 90+ average wanna know why this happened? Because McMaster and its collab programs based acceptances on the CASPER test, so I suggest you get at least an 85 average or if possible the higher the better and try to do really well on the Casper test, the Casper is key to your acceptance
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks Megan for sharing this advice with us nursing hopefuls! I really appreciate it! And yes, I read about the CASPER test, but the information online does not say when we take it, or where. Do you have any information on when and where to take it? I asked my guidance councillor about it and he said he wasn't sure since it's fairly new and we've only had 3 students from my high school go off to McMaster within the last 3 years. I was also wondering how to prepare for it, or if it's purely personality/instinct. I've read some places there is no way to prepare; however, other sites seem to offer questions to take, but I'm wondering if they are helpful. I really want to ensure I do well--nursing is definitely where I am meant to be, and I hope they see that.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

You will get an e-mail with all the information and how to sign up :)
Worst case you can call the coordinators at Mac and they can give you more info. I wrote my test I think around February or March and didn't hear back until May.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

As for how to prepare, I found it mostly to be instinct or if you worked in something like customer service where you have to think on your feet that helped me a lot. Most of it is just ethical reasoning, there's no right or wrong answer necessarily, but it's how you explain your thought process or the steps you would take to solve an issue.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi Megan! I am applying for the McMaster-Conestoga nursing program and was wondering how competitive it is? And also where my average should be to have a chance to get in.
Do you like the program and Conestoga so far?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey!
McMaster isn't as dependant on grades as much as the other programs. I would say if you're above 83% though you have a good shot, but a lot of it is dependant on the CASPER test. For example, I believe Western's transfer nursing program (those with uni experience) needed above 85% to be considered. I only had 83% but a strong CASPER component. I heard from admin here that about 1000 people applied for a sport at CoMac for this year. 

I also love the program. Sometimes it'd be nicer to have a campus feel, but at CoMac you have the smallest class sizes out of the 3 sites which gives the program a nice intimate feel without losing the top notch education you would get at the McMaster site. 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Do you think i can get accepted with an 84/85 average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You guys have to keep in mind, megan had an 83% UNIVERSITY average, not high school. I too am in the Co-Mac Nursing program and had an 88% average and a strong CASPer as i was accepted to 2/3 sites. It is a competitive program to get into, and is exactly the same as momac and mcmaster. Yes, they will like higher averages, but that CASPer test will really help. Its the same across 3 sites, as long as you make requirements. I say an 86%+ is safest, plus a good CASPer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm applying to Ryerson Nursing (main site and George Brown site). 
As a back up I'm applying to Ryerson Bio and UofT Life Science
Last Year my top 7 average was a 91 and this year I plan to achieve an average close to or higher than that. I fast tracked most of my grade 12 courses already and have:
Advanced Functions - 92%
Calculus - 85%
Philosophy- 93%
Chemistry 12 - 90%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I am thinking of applying for nursing at 
Mcmaster
Queens
Ryerson
I have a 90 average ..... I feel like nursing is so competitive having a 90 isn't promising.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

and here I am aiming for a 88 :( probably not going to get in anywhere
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I was not accepted Queens last year with a 94!!!!!
Ended up going to York/Georgian
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Just started the GBC-Ryerson collab nursing this year! feel free to shoot me any questions :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey there :) Thank u so much!! I am just wondering 1. What's ur admission average? 2. How do like/dislike about it so far? Thanks :)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Not sure if Ryerson took my prereqs into the calculation of my admission average, but I was accepted in mid February with an ~88 (with prereqs included) or ~90 without. So far, I'm loving almost everything about the program. There are great support groups like test prep groups, additional lab practice groups, and learning teams run by second year students (lowkey I don't think Ryerson's main site has all of this, but I can't be sure). All the professors are really approachable and even the student body is extremely friendly. It's really easy to make friends here and everyone is passionate about what they're learning. The thing I don't really like is the heavy course load in first year. I'm doing okay right now, but there's a lottttt of reading, especially when you're supposed to take 7 courses in the first semester. Some people do choose to drop their elective during the school year and take it in the summer though the Chang School at Ryerson to lighten up their course load though. Also, this doesn't bother me, but it might matter to some people. A lot of people who go to GBC are commuters, so you won't get the res and campus life you might get if you go to western, queens, or mac.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Thank you so much!!! :))) That was really helpful and I wish u best of luck!!! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you know of any university transfer students in your program? I know Ryerson doesn't have a second entry nursing program - but just like other students starting in first year who were previously at a Canadian university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I know that if you did practical nursing at another college, you can go to ryerson to take nursing but you have to do a bridging program at centennial college to get into ryerson (which adds 1 year to your studies)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

May I ask what your schedule is like? Like do you mostly have 8:30am classes? or do you mostly have classes that end around 5pm or later?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Sorry for the late reply haha but yes there will definitely be 8 am classes! At GBC, you get to pick between around eight pre-made schedules, but early classes will be the least of your worries when you start clinicals. Although the latest you usually end class is 6, I normally start at around 11 and end at around 3ish. Each lecture is 3h each and i normally have one class a day so I'm lucky that my school days are short haha. There are a few transfer students abd tbh, around 20% of my classmates have graduated from another university program or are just looking for a career change. I wish you the best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

How does the collab work for sports and clubs? Are you allowed to join the George brown teams/clubs etc.?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah you can join sports and clubs at George Brown, but unfortunately not at Ryerson. George Brown does not have as much clubs as the typical uni so that's one disadvantage. overall, I think you'll really like the program and the beautiful waterfront campus tho
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What is the admission average for western and Ottawa?? Ehhh grade 12 is so stressful:(((
Was this helpful? Yes 0

1. Western, McMaster, Ryerson(Mainsite, GBC) in that order, backup school is Brock
2. Life Sciences in probably the same schools excluding rye and also UofT
3. 93% 
It's getting more competitive every year, gotta keep up with the marks :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Have  you heard anything from Brock?
Was this helpful? Yes 0