yconic - Nursing Hopefuls for 2017!
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Nursing Hopefuls for 2017!

There was already a post for students hoping to become nurses in 2016 (as posted by Molly Perrigo). Now this new post is for those of us trying to become nursing students in 2017! 

So, please share: 
1. Which school(s) are you applying to? 
2. What other programs are you applying to as your back up?
3. What overall average are you aiming for in your final year? 

I have applied to Centennial, George Brown, as well as Seneca. 

My backup program is biomedical sciences at Ryerson. 

I'm aiming for an average of 90. 
Was this helpful? Yes 3
2030 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If anyone going to the centennial site wants and easy elective, take ethics with Luke. best class ever!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Hey! I'm going to Centennial site. I would really appreciate if you could tell me that do I select my courses through MyRyerson or MyCentennial site?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

hey! Enrollment happens on mycentennial. Timetables are already preset you get to choose from 6 options plus 1 elective . In terms of choosing, there are 6 blocks to choose from. All have the same classes but different timings
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Thanks for your reply. I wanted to ask one more thing how many courses do we have to take in each semester? and do you know any other electives which are easy to get 80 or 90's in?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

If it says our required units is 30, does it mean 30 max or 30 min?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

30 MAX

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Im looking for a roommate... msg 6472618146!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

For what program??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

sorry already found some! :( Its for Mcmaster nursing. Im off campus in a house.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Did anyone from centennial-ryerson receive the email with the instructions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

no I haven't 
I was told by a friend it happens in august? but thats kinda late 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Instructions for what?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

where can we find potential electives for gbc?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

do we make our schedules through GBC or rye?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey guys, I have a 86 as my average right now. Around the end of June the nursing adminstration called me and asked if I still wanted to get of the wait list. I said yes but does this mean I have actually have a chance of going to Gbc or cent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

They didn't send you an admission offer shortly after?  They called me and then sent an offer that was only good for a few days.  Did you check your My Ryerson page?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I did check everyday, but they did not  send one yet
Was this helpful? Yes 0

contact them again and clarify what the decision is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I GOT IN IM FEELING SO BLESSED GBC/RU NURSING 2021
Was this helpful? Yes 0

congratsss!! :) see you in sept.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

is there a possibility of getting off of the rye/cent waitlist with a final average of 88.2%? I was at an 88.3% at midterms and got waitlisted at that time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What do we do after we get the immunization record and criminal record check? Do we send it to mohawk college or fax it? I'm lost
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I don't go to mohawk but your school should have a due date for all of you to submit it. For ours all the pre placement requirements are due on november.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

we have to photo copy EVERYTHING i believe and bring it all in 1 portfolio to the IAHS building, also we have to print everything they uploaded and obviously sign it lol, ask the momac nursing 2021 facebook page though cause im only 90% sure thats what we have to do
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Anyone living in a house on dundurn st south? house #21 ???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey guys I was just wondering how we have to pay our tuition for MoMac, and when its due??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

is there a nursing fb group for gbc/rye
Was this helpful? Yes 0

https://www.facebook.com/groups/967118226742240/

we also have a group chat going :) just comment on the post to be added 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

what post do I comment on? i just sent a request
Was this helpful? Yes 0

any groups for comac nursing???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do I need to finish the placement requirement forms during the summer??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It's suggested that you get mostly everything done during the summer or get it started this summer to get it out of the way once school starts...the immunizations, car, police check etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey just wondering if there is a group chat or facebook group for MoMac
Was this helpful? Yes 0

there is!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

is gerogebrown nursing better than centennial and ryerson?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Mohawk-Mcmaster students, is the first day of school tomorrow or Wednesday for us? I've been seeing different things on the Mcmaster calendar and Mohawk calendar
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hey guys, For those who care, I've wanted to be a nurse since grade 9 but as time passes by I see my dream slowly slipping away. Last year (grade 11) was rough, stuff happened and I only ended up with an 83% Average of all my u courses. I've seen lots of posts about "nursing hopefuls" but what about the ones who Have no hope? In a way I just want to encourage some people because I know once marks fall, so do our dreams. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who had low marks in grade 11 and some how managed to still get accepted with grade 11 marks. I took grade 12 English in the summer and got a 90, first semester I have adv functions (84 at the moment) chem (70) and philosophy (U) 91. I don't see my chem mark staying that low, one bad test brought it down. I plan on applying to westerns nursing (collab and main site) Ottawas nursing (collab and main site) Windsor (main site ) , McMaster (main site ) and laurentian (safe choice because their average is much lower). By the looks of this site I won't be able to get into any of them, but if there's anyone out there who somehow pulled off a miricle please feel free to share and give not only me, but other nursing hopefuls as well. Also, lets say I don't get into anything does anyone know of some good back up programs/plans. Thanks! (Sorry for the long post)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

For early admissions, unfortunately most nursing programs give it to the people who have averages in grade 11 that are over 90%. But does that mean you can't get into nursing? Absolutely not. If it's something you wanted to do ever since grade 9 you need to work the hard this year and make your grades the best it can possibly be. If you're not happy with your current grades now, you have plenty of time to bring your marks up. Don't worry about not getting early admission. As long as you get in, your in. And with the grades you have currently, you can get into nursing school. You just need to do more research on your options.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I got into Mohawk/McMaster with an 84 and then again with an 85, and the program is the exact same as the McMaster main site! You even share some of the same classes with the McMaster main site people LOL legit no difference, so you should apply for that program too it is amazing so far (just do really good on your casper test)! I didn't get in with early admission, but I got in later! My grade 11 average wasn't that great either and my grade 12 was an 85. I got into humber (which by the way is also a great program, my friend goes there for nursing and she loves it there!) I took the year off and reapplied with an 85 and got into Ryerson/George Brown, MoMac, humber and Ryerson/centennial, and York. I am currently in the Mohawk McMaster program! Don't stress if you don't get in the first year, b/c if you really want to be a nurse you'll take a year off and upgrade and reapply!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

No doubt getting into nursing is not easy though it's not impossible.  Work hard in Grade 12 and get your marks up.  Whether a university program or a colab program they will all give you a bsc nursing degree.  Apply to collages and universities.  Apply early and keep a close watch on your application- make sure to keep in touch with universities and colleges to follow up on your application. Out of personal experience even if your grade 11 average is low and yours is not too bad and you have 90's in grade 12 you will get into a good university.  If you have mid to high 80's you can get into a colab program.  So apply to a mix of universities and colleges.  Follow your dream - you will make it!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Thank you all for your help and support, upgradings not a bad idea if I don't get it the first time! 
Still waiting on midterm marks but everything's been going well so far, I'm aiming for at least an 86 average. Hopefully I can get higher to get into the more competitive schools. We got our ouac codes, and I'm going to apply to back up college programs (pre health and practical nursing ) just in case I don't get accepted anywhere.
Thanks again ! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi, guys, I'm back for half a semester (till the end of January) to improve my average. This semester I am retaking 12 U Biology, I am also taking 12 U World Issues and 12 U Peer Tutoring. The cutoff average for Nursing at Western last year was a 92% and the average I am aiming for is a 90% and I know I will be able to maintain this until the end. I will be applying in the winter, I was wondering If I will hear back from Western during early acceptances since all my marks will be final at the end of January or will I hear from them during the spring? Do I also have a high chance of receiving an admission with my 90% average?
Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi. If the cutoff was a 92% last year, then you should be aiming for an average above a 92. I did a fifth year last year as well and despite having all my courses done in February, I got accepted to nursing school in March and May. But marks do change every year depending on the application pool. Look into collaborative programs as well because those tend to have lower average requirements. It really doesn't matter whether you do your nursing degree through collaborating colleges or its main site because at the end of it all you still recieve the same degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Got rejected at western with a 89 last year.  Cut off was 92 Apply to western if u get in great, but keep ur opinions open and apply to other universities and colleges with 90 many other schools will accept you. With nursing you just have to be patient, all your friends will have acceptances and you will still be waiting.  But it will come so hang in there. This is a competitive program and it is just how it works.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

For everyone out there back up schools you can get into with mid to high 80s York Humber, Seneca, Trent, Nippising.  Nipissing needs Casper. Casper is not difficult. Something to think about if you get into a collab it is cheaper, small classes and more hands on. also if u don’t have to live at res you are definitely saving 10k a year. One of the reasons you may not choose colleges is because of the experience overall, you will lack that university experience.  Though remember nursing students barely have anythime to socialize.  That said it’s well worth to put in the hard work for 4 years.  Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi guys! Does anyone know the cut-off average for the Fanshawe/Western Collab Nursing Program? I know Western had a 92% cut-off.
Thanks!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi Guys!
I was wondering what's the difference between the Fanshawe/Western Collab Nursing program and the Western Nursing program? I've been hearing different things on both; that the Fanshawe/Western is more hands-on, you learn a lot more vs. Western being more text-book based. I've also heard that the Western program changed its ways to match the Fanshawe/Western program? Is that true? Anyone have any information on both locations?
Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Mainsite student here!
The curriculum is identical actually. Our course material is identical and our exam time and date are same. Curriculum-wise there really is no difference. 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi guys! I am a returning student to high school and only there for one semester and I will be ending off this semester with a 90% average, do I have a chance of getting an admission to the Nursing program at western? Both locations? 
Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Congratulations on completing your courses with a great average! 

As for your question, your chances of getting accepted to the Fanshawe site is pretty good while main site is lower as they admissions cutoffs have been around 92s. However, if you are a 105D applicant or mature student, you may be under a different pool of applicants that the rest. If you are a mature student, there is a supplemental form you can complete. 
Was this helpful? Yes 0