yconic - Nursing Programs & Transferring
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Nursing Programs & Transferring

A photo of 2011Tornado 2011Tornado
So I'm in first year at the University of Ottawa in collaboration with Algonquin for a BScN in Nursing. I was just wondering if anyone knew about other universities that I would be able to transfer to if I decided to do so. I know that the University of Western Ontario does not accept students from other schools in this program. I am interested in switching schools but I don't think I would want to put all my money I used in first year to waste. (I would like to go to Western but then all the money I put into first year would be down the drain - Just to clarify.)

I'm preferably looking into universities in Ontario.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
Western wont accept transfers because we do things in first year that others dont do until third
Was this helpful? Yes 0

a girl from my program last year decided to go home to toronto this year. so she's at ryerson now, but from what ive been told she has to redo all her courses becuase theyre not the same
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 2011Tornado 2011Tornado

@cosstickxx wrote
Western wont accept transfers because we do things in first year that others dont do until third

Would you be able to tell me what their program outline is (courses and such)? I was really interested in going there! I'm just curious.

I plan to do my Masters there because I don't want to put my first year of work to waste.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

First year:
anatomy (only first semester)
physiology (online course, with a 1hr tutorial each week)
nutrition
self and others
health and chronic health challenges - mostly about different assessments
professional practice - including lab, seminar, and 2nd semester placement

Second year:
pathology (online course, again with a tutorial - first semester)
pharmacology (online, with tutorial - second semester)
psychology
self and others (first semester)
professional practice seminar/ethics (second semester)
healing and episodic health challenges - which is basically learning about different health issues related to child and mental health, and med-surg
placements child/mental for a semester (both, 1/2 semester each), as well a semester in acute care

I'm not totally sure how 3rd and 4th year works. But what I can tell you is that third year you have to take stats. and your placements are family health and community health.

Fourth year you have classes first semester (maybe a placement too, i'm not sure), and second semester is all full time placements.

You can find any information about courses online here http://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2011/pg453.html

The only thing to keep in mind is that the layout of the collaborative program is changing next year. I know it will affect the fanshawe half of the program, but I'm not sure about the western half, I would imagine there would be similar changes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What I forgot to mention (that I think you were actually more asking about) was that in first year clinical we were doing medications and injections. We learnt catheters as well, some people did them some didn't. Before you start clinical second year you have to spend a few weeks in lab where you review and do things like IV's.

I know some people in other programs who don't do meds until second year, injections until third.
Was this helpful? Yes 0