yconic - Nursing
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Nursing

A photo of LOLipop LOLipop
for the 4 years at nursing school, do we always see the same students in our labs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of kdun kdun
i would assume so, you're going to be with the same nursing students years 2, 3, 4.. labs might be on different days though so you could be with potentially different people from previous years
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
It's not likely that a school's labs will be big enough for everyone, and a lot of classes are in smaller groups too, not all 130 people. Because of his, they place you in "classes" A, B, C, etc.
So, I have had the same students in every lab with me this year. I'm assuming it will be different students in lab with me next year, but it will be the same ones all year.. I h ope this helps
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I don't think you would have the same people in all your labs every year. With other courses and electives it'd be hard to accommodate everyone. Though no doubt you'll see many of the same people in labs and other classes. Though it's good to meet people too!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AbbyGreene AbbyGreene
That would be awesome. Definitely keep the group tighter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of maggie2092 maggie2092
I've been looking into class sizes of some of the nursing programs in Canada, and they all seem to be about 100-150.. I can't say for sure, but these numbers seem to be big, especially for labs. If I had to guess, I'd say that your lab groups change from year to year based on the other courses you're taking. I could be wrong here though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gecko Gecko
Im not sure how other school's labs work. At Ryerson there is 150 in a class yes. However, that is broken into about 3 sections of around 50 students. Additionally, from there, that class is broken down into morning lab and afternoon lab. So you really only have 25 student in your lab. As for the other 100 student in the program, they have that class another day of the week, and once again, morning and afternoon lab. You dont really see the other students that much. All students are together in anatomy. And then you have 3 classes for psych. usually things get broken up with psych a bit so you see other students. This is just for Ryerson. I can't speak on behalf of other schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
ours is the same for the most part
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of esbetsso esbetsso

@Gecko wrote
Im not sure how other school's labs work. At Ryerson there is 150 in a class yes. However, that is broken into about 3 sections of around 50 students. Additionally, from there, that class is broken down into morning lab and afternoon lab. So you really only have 25 student in your lab. As for the other 100 student in the program, they have that class another day of the week, and once again, morning and afternoon lab. You dont really see the other students that much. All students are together in anatomy. And then you have 3 classes for psych. usually things get broken up with psych a bit so you see other students. This is just for Ryerson. I can't speak on behalf of other schools.

Only 25 students per lab? sweet. I'm also trying to get into Ryerson's nursing
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gecko Gecko
[/quote]
Only 25 students per lab? sweet. I'm also trying to get into Ryerson's nursing [/quote]

About that, to be quite honest. If I think off the top of my head. There is probably only around 20. Which is good, it gives you plenty of opportunity to take with the profs about any questions you have. Most profs encourage you to ask question either in class or via email. Most get back VERY quickly. I never wait more than 12hrs usually for a reply, and that is the longest! most reply back within a few hours. That is, if you dont email them at 3am on a sunday morning or something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey Gecko, Ryerson sounds like a great school! I would love to go have classes ranging from different sizes and some of them you say are approx 20-25 people. :)
I am hoping to get into the Nursing program at Western (UWO) with a Pre-Health Science GPA of 3.91... don't know if it's good enough though.
Do any of you guys know if the Pre-Health Science program gives applicants Bonus points/marks for admission entry?? Do you guys know any former Pre-Health students in your nursing classes?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chucklez Chucklez

@LOLipop wrote
for the 4 years at nursing school, do we always see the same students in our labs?

At humber/UNB nursing program here. Not in my program. I believe we get divided depending the clinical location chosen, it is further divided based on your last name, and you either do tutorial or lab on that day.

Out of 250 students in my year for the first semester, I only had around 15-20 other students in my lab/tutorial. Now with only 170ish students (yeah 80 people failed at least one course last sem) I still have around 15-20 students in my lab/tutorial. Like everyone have said, the smaller classes in labs/tutorial is VERY useful since you get time to ask detailed questions to your prof and have a feel of the cadavers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of metrickan metrickan
Most schools start out general, like maths and sciences so they have big classes, but each year they become more spcefic to the course so the groups become smaller. i would assume.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted