yconic - Off Campus First Year?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Off Campus First Year?

A photo of irisf irisf
So I've budgeted all my money and calculated what I can afford next year. I was hoping to live on campus, but a spot in residence just doesn't seem to be in the cards for me (it's way too expensive). However, I can most definitely afford living off campus at Queen's in my first year.

Has anyone done this? I'm just really worried that I won't be able to make as many friends or get the same university experience. Thoughts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
24 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Living on your own for the first time is an experience in and of itself. You will have to find roommates, and they will probably also be Queens students, so you'll meet people that way. And they will probably be at least 2nd year students (most 1st years live on campus), so that could be very helpful to you. In order to meet people you'll just have to get involved in campus life some other way. Join some sort of club. I joined an engineering design team and met so so so many people that way.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@ktel wrote
Living on your own for the first time is an experience in and of itself. You will have to find roommates, and they will probably also be Queens students, so you'll meet people that way. And they will probably be at least 2nd year students (most 1st years live on campus), so that could be very helpful to you. In order to meet people you'll just have to get involved in campus life some other way. Join some sort of club. I joined an engineering design team and met so so so many people that way.

Why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@irisf wrote
So I've budgeted all my money and calculated what I can afford next year. I was hoping to live on campus, but a spot in residence just doesn't seem to be in the cards for me (it's way too expensive). However, I can most definitely afford living off campus at Queen's in my first year.

Has anyone done this? I'm just really worried that I won't be able to make as many friends or get the same university experience. Thoughts?

Absolutely. If you look at any of my other comments about residence I strongly recommend against staying in residence. Your own apartment will be much better and you'll still finish with hundreds of friends.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Why will the OP need a roommate? Because they have already stated that residence is too expensive, and based on that it might be difficult finding their own apartment within their budget, which would probably cost minimum $900/month (and that would be for a bachelor)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
Why will the OP need a roommate? Because they have already stated that residence is too expensive, and based on that it might be difficult finding their own apartment within their budget, which would probably cost minimum $900/month (and that would be for a bachelor)

$900 a month for a Bachelor's in Kingston? Where?! lol

A quick search of the rentals in Kingston has one bedrooms for about $780 and 2 bedrooms for $890 and a Bachelor's for $650
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of irisf irisf

@ktel wrote

My friend's mom is already offering me a big attic room for $200/month with free wi-fi, laundry machines, a kitchen for use, and a 5-10 minute walk from main campus. My friend and her mom will be in toronto for that year so it will just be me and her mom's boyfriend in the house and he's always out working so I'll have the house to myself everyday.

So that kinda rules out the option of living with second years :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Woohoo for cheaper living in Kingston.

OP: That's an awesome deal you have for a place to live. Just join some clubs or something, you'll meet people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@irisf wrote
My friend and her mom will be in toronto for that year so it will just be me and her mom's boyfriend in the house and he's always out working so I'll have the house to myself everyday.

Sounds like the beginning of an affair.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of samwise575 samwise575

@ARMY101 wrote

@irisf wrote

Absolutely. If you look at any of my other comments about residence I strongly recommend against staying in residence. Your own apartment will be much better and you'll still finish with hundreds of friends.

This is bogus. Staying in residence is a great experience and if you have the money why not? I don't have anything against people who decide to live off of campus for financial or other reasons, but having your own apartment is NOT much better. It's really up to the individual.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@samwise575 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@irisf wrote

This is bogus. Staying in residence is a great experience and if you have the money why not? I don't have anything against people who decide to live off of campus for financial or other reasons, but having your own apartment is NOT much better. It's really up to the individual.

Not at all. If anything, living in an apartment keeps you away from the rampant criminality in residences.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
What's going on in residence that is criminal? Drinking is legal, last time I checked.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

@ktel wrote
What's going on in residence that is criminal? Drinking is legal, last time I checked.

If you are of legal drinking age, that is. ;)

To answer Army:

Many universities offer all kinds of different residence options. Guelph, for instance, has learning-intensive areas, where things are nice and quiet for those who like to study, and who don't like to party 24/7. They also have clusters for just about every program offered by the university. Some of my friends who are in engineering lived in the first year engineering cluster, and they absolutely adored it, because they were living with people who were taking the same classes as them, who had the same assignments, etc., and they had an upper year engineering student living in the same rez with them in addition to a regular RA (resident assistant). So they had all kinds of supports in place that helped them with the transition to university.

For most first years, living away from home for the first time, residence is the perfect way to transition to independence. They don't have to worry about chores (except laundry and keeping their room tidy) or about cooking (meal plans - which at Guelph are incredible - take care of that). So it's an easy way to take those first independent steps away from home, without being totally overwhelmed by having to take care of everything on their own for the first time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emotycka emotycka
I can't speak for kingston, since I go to Western, but I lived off campus first year and loved it. I made tons of friends(first year and upper year) and was quite involved on campus. It's possible and a great option. Much cheaper!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote

@samwise575 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@irisf wrote

Not at all. If anything, living in an apartment keeps you away from the rampant criminality in residences.

Rampant criminality? There's always going to be a few idiots in every res, but for the most part it's going to be normal people. Plus I doubt this would be much of a problem at Queen's. The people that go there for the most part are all fairly wealthy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ Rich kids often have the worst behavior.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@samwise575 wrote
Rampant criminality? There's always going to be a few idiots in every res, but for the most part it's going to be normal people. Plus I doubt this would be much of a problem at Queen's. The people that go there for the most part are all fairly wealthy.

Uh, Queens had to ban its homecoming because the kids there were so disrespectful and retarded.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@ARMY101 wrote

@samwise575 wrote

Uh, Queens had to ban its homecoming because the kids there were so disrespectful and retarded.

Haha I forgot about that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote

@samwise575 wrote

To be fair it wasn't JUST Queen's students, for some reason Queen's homecoming attracts students from all over Canada. As well as high school students in Kingston. To put all the blame on one group isn't fair.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of treecows treecows

@ARMY101 wrote

@samwise575 wrote

It wasn't even Queen's students that did all that stuff on Aberdeen, blame the idiots who came from all over Ontario and Quebec to mess up our streets

It's probably too late to do rez, but if you apply to live at Jean Royce Hall, you don't need a mealplan and you can cook instead. It becomes around $5,000 which is half the price. Personally I think rez is a really great experience, especially at Queen's. It's the best way to meet people, and you kind of automatically have friends. My friend lived off campus but then came to Jean Royce Hall because it was just better socially. I think it's a great experience and if its possible at all, I'd highly recommend it. Living off campus isn't a big deal, but at Queen's, like 95% of first years live on campus I think and it's definitely harder to meet people if you're not in rez.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
Army. Enough with criminal activity in university.
And I personally think living off-campus is a good thing too. One thing is that if you happen to find bad room mates, you can move out to the next renting space. I think you have to apply and all if you get stuck with a bad room mate in campus?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Except you usually sign a lease, so switching accommodation whether you are on or off campus is not exactly as simple as you make it sound.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

@ktel wrote
Except you usually sign a lease, so switching accommodation whether you are on or off campus is not exactly as simple as you make it sound.

+1. And frequently, leases for off-campus housing as year-long leases, and students already have plenty of trouble trying to sublet them during the summer when they might not be around.

There are a few places that do month-by-month leases, but those are generally harder to find and the rent tends to be more expensive than a year-long lease.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@StudentAtStPats wrote
And I personally think living off-campus is a good thing too. One thing is that if you happen to find bad room mates, you can move out to the next renting space. I think you have to apply and all if you get stuck with a bad room mate in campus?

No thanks. For as long as that is the truth I will continue to warn people of what they're getting into.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote

@StudentAtStPats wrote

No thanks. For as long as that is the truth I will continue to warn people of what they're getting into.

For the vast majority of people it isn't the truth...
Was this helpful? Yes 0