yconic - *Official*- 2011 Waterloo AFM Acceptances + Fellowship Interviews/Winners
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

*Official*- 2011 Waterloo AFM Acceptances + Fellowship Interviews/Winners

A photo of g93 g93
The title says it all.

Fellowship interview calls go out on May 12th, and continue until May 16th (they must talk to you, they will not leave messages, instead call back later). May 16th is the first and only day/round of offers. From last year's thread, it appears as if they went out in the evening/night. The following day people received emails telling them if they get into PA and FM.

Not too far away!

Who will be the first to post in this thread?

And a question, who will for sure be accepting should they get in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
282 replies

A photo of KevinL KevinL
I'm the first to post :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@KevinL wrote
I'm the first to post :)

Actually, you are post #2.

Is Waterloo your first choice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KevinL KevinL
Yes AFM-PA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of baller7 baller7
How do we get the Fellowship Interview? Is there something we have to apply or is it automatically determined by the committee at U of W?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Good luck guys.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@baller7 wrote
How do we get the Fellowship Interview? Is there something we have to apply or is it automatically determined by the committee at U of W?

You are automatically considered for it. They will call you and tell you to come to the interview on May 28th at UW. If you don't go that would be pretty dumb.

I don't know what they ask at the interviews.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
Whats this Fellowship...?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Haru wrote
Whats this Fellowship...?

You must complete various "helping tasks" over your 4 years, eg. assisting professors with research, being a TA, helping younger students, volunteering at the AFMAA, etc. etc.

You get "paid" for helping, which equates to a $7,000 scholarship.

You also get matched with someone related to the AFM program, usually an alumnus but sometimes they aren't. They are also usually wildly successful (eg CFO at TD Securities). They are essentially your mentor, and can help you with advice and help get you jobs with their connections.

And you get to right "Fellow" on your resume. Not a bad gig.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of callie2039 callie2039
How long has this fellowship program been around?
And would you consider it a huge leg up from Math/CA and Biotech/CA in terms of networking and the mentorship?

Essentially...would becoming a 'fellow' be a decisive factor between the three CAs
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@callie2039 wrote
And would you consider it a huge leg up from Math/CA and Biotech/CA in terms of networking and the mentorship?

Essentially...would becoming a 'fellow' be a decisive factor between the three CAs

Someone in the Fellowship program's mentor was the CFO of TD Securities. Their first co-op term was at.... TD Securities.

I'm not really convinced the Math/CA is that beneficial. The Biotech/CA is definitely good if you want to go into the science/tech field and/or get into med school.

Not wanting to go into sciences, I didn't consider Biotech/CA and I didn't think Math/CA would be advantageous, so I didn't apply to it either.

But for those who may consider Math/CA or Biotech/CA higher than AFM, I would definitely think the Fellowship would make a big difference.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jennyau jennyau

@g93 wrote

@callie2039 wrote

Someone in the Fellowship program's mentor was the CFO of TD Securities. Their first co-op term was at.... TD Securities.

I'm not really convinced the Math/CA is that beneficial. The Biotech/CA is definitely good if you want to go into the science/tech field and/or get into med school.

Not wanting to go into sciences, I didn't consider Biotech/CA and I didn't think Math/CA would be advantageous, so I didn't apply to it either.

But for those who may consider Math/CA or Biotech/CA higher than AFM, I would definitely think the Fellowship would make a big difference.

Funny, that's what I was considering doing. I haven't really decided on Math/CA or AFM, but if I get the fellowship I'll definitely choose AFM (PA).

As well, does anyone know what happens if you don't get the call from 12-16? I'm away and out of town, and in cassee I'm not home what happens?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sherl28 sherl28

@jennyau wrote

@g93 wrote

@callie2039 wrote

Funny, that's what I was considering doing. I haven't really decided on Math/CA or AFM, but if I get the fellowship I'll definitely choose AFM (PA).

As well, does anyone know what happens if you don't get the call from 12-16? I'm away and out of town, and in cassee I'm not home what happens?

you'll still get an email If you're considered for fellowship or you can call them when you get back to confirm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tlee93 Tlee93
Hey I want to ask, if you get the fellowship call, does it mean you're in the PA stream or can it be either one? Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Tlee93 wrote
Hey I want to ask, if you get the fellowship call, does it mean you're in the PA stream or can it be either one? Thanks!

If you get a call, you get into whatever stream you chose. You are top 20% of all AFM applicants, so you will def. get into your choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tlee93 Tlee93
it's tomorrow guys!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Tlee93 wrote
it's tomorrow guys!

:colors: :cheers: :compress: :bounce: :bball: :bounce: :compress: :cheers: :colors:

Originally Waterloo said May 12th and 13th would be the start of Fellowship calls.

When I emailed them, I got one reply saying the 12th and one saying the 13th.

I'm hoping it's the 12th :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Tlee93 wrote
it's tomorrow guys!

You know what that means...

[size=7]It's friday, friday, gotta be giving out acceptances on friday[/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tlee93 Tlee93
hmmm the website says 12-16th... so let's hope it's today!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jennyau jennyau
Do you know approximately what time on Monday they will give the afm offers?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hsbc1668 hsbc1668

@jennyau wrote
Do you know approximately what time on Monday they will give the afm offers?

I thought they should give out offer today which is 12th?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of j18n j18n
check quest guys! i logged on today to find out that i was given an offer of admission! i applied for PA but it doesn't specify if i got it or not. i didn't get/haven't gotten a fellowship interview call either. anyone have any ideas?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of durres durres

@j18n wrote
check quest guys! i logged on today to find out that i was given an offer of admission! i applied for PA but it doesn't specify if i got it or not. i didn't get/haven't gotten a fellowship interview call either. anyone have any ideas?

Hey congrats!

I got in too, but mine says conditional Admit, and doesn't specify for what, but I think its for the one we applied, or else it would have said alternative offer?

Just wondering does yours say, conditional Admit, or an offer of admission???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of j18n j18n

@durres wrote

@j18n wrote

Hey congrats!

I got in too, but mine says conditional Admit, and doesn't specify for what, but I think its for the one we applied, or else it would have said alternative offer?

Just wondering does yours say, conditional Admit, or an offer of admission???

congrats to you too! whoops, sorry i didn't clarify but i got a conditional offer as well. yes you have a point that it should, in theory, say alternative offer...i just emailed Patty. so hopefully i'll get a reply soon!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hsbc1668 hsbc1668

@j18n wrote

what is your average??
Was this helpful? Yes 0