yconic - (OFFICIAL) I got accepted to Queen's Commerce! And I have Questions!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

(OFFICIAL) I got accepted to Queen's Commerce! And I have Questions!

A photo of QueensHSL2011 QueensHSL2011
Congratulations on being accepted to Canada's Premier Undergraduate Business Program! This completely student-run Facebook group is administered by the High School Liaison Committee and it will allow you to get to know one another and ask any questions that you may have. So ask away, post questions about residence, Goodes Hall, electives, meal plans, you name it!

Look for answers from the the members of the 2011-12 HSL team

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Queens-Commerce-2015/162152840510200

Once at the site, LIKE THE PAGE and get updates all the way until you get here in the Fall.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
51 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
You don't have questions... you are answering them.

And another point, how do you know that people accessing this thread have been accepted to Queen's Commerce?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

And another point, how do you know that people accessing this thread have been accepted to Queen's Commerce?

Good point, I don't have questions. It was a marketing tactic to get people to go to the Facebook page. Is it working?

All the questions will be answered by current Queen's Commerce students that have been set up to answer perspective students questions. Their names are posted ont he Facebook page, so you can trust their answers and message any of them directly.

Facebook is a cleaner format for us to communicate, it's just for QC and we want to make sure the accurate information is out there. We have seen quite a few misconceptions on this site.

Hope that helps

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@QueensHSL2011 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

Good point, I don't have questions. It was a marketing tactic to get people to go to the Facebook page. Is it working?

o, it did not work. I hate Facebook. I don't use Facebook.

False marketing- a bad road to begin heading down. I would advise you to make a u-turn while you still can.
[quote=QueensHSL2011]
All the questions will be answered by current Queen's Commerce students that have been set up to answer perspective students questions. Their names are posted ont he Facebook page, so you can trust their answers and message any of them directly.[/QUOTE]Prospective, not perspective.

@QueensHSL2011 wrote

Facebook is a cleaner format for us to communicate, it's just for QC and we want to make sure the accurate information is out there. We have seen quite a few misconceptions on this site.

hat is to stop someone not accepted to QC from joining?

@QueensHSL2011 wrote

Hope that helps

o, you still did not address my latter concern.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of axiom2true axiom2true

@QueensHSL2011 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

All the questions will be answered by current Queen's Commerce students that have been set up to answer perspective students questions. Their names are posted ont he Facebook page, so you can trust their answers and message any of them directly.

Hope that helps

Care to provide an example of these misconceptions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey JohnnyCanuck

You can definitely continue to post here! We will check it as well. The REAL reason for the title is that when a student reads it they resinate with it immediately. I was hoping the marketing comment was taken more as a joke, my apologies for that (and my spelling).

People who are not accepted cant be banned from writing because we have no way of stopping them, but as far as the information coming from this username we can control that.

If you are worried about the information you can always check out our official websites.

commerce.queensu.ca
business.queensu.ca
comsoc.queensu.ca <-- student government

or email commerce@business.queensu.ca
Was this helpful? Yes 0

[/quote]

Care to provide an example of these misconceptions?
[/quote]

Mostly admission averages and the culture of the program. Our job as HSL is to give the students perspective of the Commerce program and make sure that people are not making up things as fact.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@QueensHSL2011 wrote

Mostly admission averages and the culture of the program. Our job as HSL is to give the students perspective of the Commerce program and make sure that people are not making up things as fact.

Anything more specific? : )

I know that's the HSL's job; I'll probably be on HSL next year. My words will resonate with prospective students. :tongue:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

- amiom2true

Good luck with applying for HSL, there are usually 2 frosh rep positons! Just like most commerce clubs and committees. The username ocrossman went through and tried to clear up some of the blogs of the specific misconceptions. You can take a look for those.

If you post your comments on the FB page there will be a lot more clear information posted there.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@QueensHSL2011 wrote

Good luck with applying for HSL, there are usually 2 frosh rep positons! Just like most commerce clubs and committees. The username ocrossman went through and tried to clear up some of the blogs of the specific misconceptions. You can take a look for those.

If you post your comments on the FB page there will be a lot more clear information posted there.

Thanks!

@CityBoy I didn't mean to come across negatively.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Don't worry; we're definitely legit, promise! Just like every year, we (HSL) are answering questions on the Facebook page. Once everyone's decisions have been made later in the summer, we will also be hosting LIVECHATs and Summer Orientation, so lots to look forward to!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
You can't answer anything about actual admissions, can you? I'm still unsure about the waves that have been sent out/will be sent out.

Also, how does the rooming system work? I've heard that it's a lottery system, but can my ordered choices have both single rooming choices and double rooming choices? I.e.

1st choice - suite style rooming with a friend at x residence
2nd choice - rooming by myself at x residence
3rd choice - rooming by myself at y residence

The reason I ask this is because I don't think I would be able to live with someone in a shared room and would only want to share just a bathroom (after that, I think I'd probably just want to live alone).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@QueensHSL2011 wrote
Don't worry; we're definitely legit, promise! Just like every year, we (HSL) are answering questions on the Facebook page. Once everyone's decisions have been made later in the summer, we will also be hosting LIVECHATs and Summer Orientation, so lots to look forward to!

I accepted my QC offer today - will I be getting anything in the mail like residence details, orientation packages, or other stuff like that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@onlymatthew wrote
You can't answer anything about actual admissions, can you? I'm still unsure about the waves that have been sent out/will be sent out.

Also, how does the rooming system work? I've heard that it's a lottery system, but can my ordered choices have both single rooming choices and double rooming choices? I.e.

The reason I ask this is because I don't think I would be able to live with someone in a shared room and would only want to share just a bathroom (after that, I think I'd probably just want to live alone).

Not much can be answered about actual admissions as that is a department in the university that is separate from us. They do come in waves, and do not release the times which admissions will role out.

As for the rooming system, you can put exactly what you wrote before. Still doesn't guarantee you will get one of those choices.

Refer and post to the FB page if you can, that way many questions will get answered once and in one place

--- HSL 2011
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@axiom2true wrote

@QueensHSL2011 wrote

I accepted my QC offer today - will I be getting anything in the mail like residence details, orientation packages, or other stuff like that?

All in due time, that stuff wont show up until the full set of admission offers have been passed out. The orientation package comes near July.

Welcome to Queen's Commerce. Have you liked our FB page? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Queens-Commerce-2015/162152840510200

--- HSL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@QueensHSL2011 wrote

@axiom2true wrote

@QueensHSL2011 wrote

All in due time, that stuff wont show up until the full set of admission offers have been passed out. The orientation package comes near July.

Welcome to Queen's Commerce. Have you liked our FB page? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Queens-Commerce-2015/162152840510200

--- HSL

OK, thanks. I'm just excited now ; )
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Adding a little bit about residence at Queen's....

Queen's residence works in a lottery system and you are able to rank your choices of room styles (not specific residences).

Queen's doesn't have any suite style residences (I think what you mean by this like an apartment, where each person has their own room and shares common space like a kitchen and bathroom which a few other people). The closest to that is a "single room with shared bath" but you can't request your can-mate for that style.

For example, your ranking could look like this:
1-single with shared bath
2-single
3-double with friend x

Also, you can call the Commerce Office (613-533-2301) if you want specifics for admissions. In my experience, the people that work there are excellent at providing you with the information you want.

-HSL 2011
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mundane12321 mundane12321

@onlymatthew wrote

there's no suite/apartment style at queen's
it's all traditional dorm style ...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mundane12321 mundane12321

@QueensHSL2011 wrote

Queen's residence works in a lottery system and you are able to rank your choices of room styles (not specific residences).

Queen's doesn't have any suite style residences (I think what you mean by this like an apartment, where each person has their own room and shares common space like a kitchen and bathroom which a few other people). The closest to that is a "single room with shared bath" but you can't request your can-mate for that style.

2-single
3-double with friend x

Also, you can call the Commerce Office (613-533-2301) if you want specifics for admissions. In my experience, the people that work there are excellent at providing you with the information you want.

-HSL 2011

is it true if you only rank one you automatically get your choice?
also, is it true chancellor and major scholarship winners get priority over getting single rooms?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mundane12321 wrote

@onlymatthew wrote

there's no suite/apartment style at queen's
it's all traditional dorm style ...

- mundane12321

There is one alternative to the traditional style. Leggette has Semi-dorm style. They are single rooms with duble beds, instead of single, with a shared bathroom in between. Every other residence is mixed between single, double, and tripple with hall bathrooms.

Check out http://bit.ly/i6UVGK for more info!

- HSL 2011
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mundane12321 wrote

@QueensHSL2011 wrote

2-single
3-double with friend x

-HSL 2011

is it true if you only rank one you automatically get your choice?
also, is it true chancellor and major scholarship winners get priority over getting single rooms?

No, that's not true. How the lottery system works is that everyone is randomly allocated a number and then they go down this list. So #1 gets their first pick, and so and so forth. If you only rank one option and by the time they get to you, your choice has run out, then you'll be assigned something else.

It is true that major award winners are guaranteed a single room on campus... They don't get to specifically choose their residence though. I know that that definitely applies for Chancellors, not 100% for other major awards... you'd have to get in touch with Queen's for that.

Hope that helps :)

-HSL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IBDiplomaStudent IBDiplomaStudent
Is it true that Chancellor's Nominees who meet the 87% average are automatically accepted to Queen's Commerce?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IBDiplomaStudent wrote
Is it true that Chancellor's Nominees who meet the 87% average are automatically accepted to Queen's Commerce?

There is no "automatically" accepted. It may be perceived as such because of the likelihood that somebody in that situation does get accepted is high.

- HSL 2011
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IBDiplomaStudent IBDiplomaStudent

@IBDiplomaStudent wrote

Also, is it true that for Commerce, once you meet the 87% requirement, admissions does not look at your grades again and only the PSE/EC's etc matter?
Was this helpful? Yes 0