yconic - Official SHAD 2018 Thread!
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Official SHAD 2018 Thread!

Hey guysss! I'm currently working on my SHAD application for 2018! Any of you doing the same? We can chat here :^D
Was this helpful? Yes 1
784 replies

Hey!
I'm applying for shad 2018 as well! I really want top get in but I feel my average is going to hurt me (87) on the up side I do a lot of extra curricular and student government work. 
Where are you in the application process? 

Was this helpful? Yes 1

that's a lot better than me tbh i spent all my time getting that 97 average
turns out it was a waste
rejected twice
rip me for uni apps

on the other hand everyone on student government from my school got in so you'll be fine
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
It's okay to have a 87% average! Someone at my campus last year had an 85% average and still got in, so it's just about making yourself stand out through your essays. Make sure you really sound unique.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey all!
I am applying for SHAD too! But, unfortunately, I don't feel my grades are good enough either...
I finished the 10th grade (in Ontario) with an 89.3% average. I am a two-time Canada-Wide Science Fair award recipient, a four-time Ottawa Regional Science Fair award recipient, I am involved in FIRST Robotics, president of the STEAM committee, Mathletes tutor, subject tutor, science club member, Key club member, and president of the Medical Club. I am also an executive member of an Ottawa-based organization aimed at helping high school students learn about medicine. I am also a second-degree black belt in Taekwondo, and a research student at Carleton University and the Ottawa Hospital where I help with cancer research. In total, I have about 43 hours of extracurriculars per week. Would I be considered a "strong" applicant?  

Was this helpful? Yes 1

Don't worry your a very competitive applicant I had an average a little higher then you but I had way less extracurricular activities then you and I got accepted. They are mostly looking for well rounded student and the essays is the part that counts the most
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@as I'd call that VERY strong!! You seem extremely involved and well rounded.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey im just gonna make my way here, I went to SHAD Ryerson last year (you might find me in the SHAD 2017 yconic). The president/CEO of SHAD himself came to visit our campus and told us grades are just used as a qualifier, meaning if they see an 80+ average, they consider you, and if they see below 80 they wont (with the exception of maybe some exceptional cases, but few).

Focus on your supp apps, they'll be the method by which the selection committee will hear your voice and get to know who you really are, and whether or not you represent qualities of a SHAD. It's an incredible experience, but they dont want robots who focus only on their grades. Under every student is a teenager with hobbies and goals, show that to them.

Oh, and have fun with it! This is likely the first time youre writing an application so big, and you might not get in, but the questions give you a fun opportunity to assess/analyze who you are. It'll help not only your self growth, but also when youre applying to unis/scholarships! Trust me on this!! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ay O Ay O
So right now I'm trying to get organized- and I'm thinking of what I will be writing for my essays, ecs etc. I don't think you really need to worry about your average- SHAD isn't ONLY looking for people with a super high average- they're looking for people that are well rounded and willing to make a difference (so with your work with the student body government you should be ok)!! How far are you in the process? I just saw that the application opened 5 days ago after anxiously refreshing the application page like every day lollll
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey guys! SHAD alumni 2017 here! If any of you guys have questions, need application help or advice, or just want someone to help y'all cope while awaiting you're acceptance/status email, I'm here (trust me it's gruelling waiting) I went to Dalhousie if you have any specific questions!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of Ay O Ay O
Ok thanks so much Katie! I'll  be sure to ask if I have any questions or if I need someone to bawl to during the intense period of self-doubt that is the waiting period!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey Katie I remember you from last year's shad yconic thread! 
Congrats on making it
>rejected twice
>salty af
>never again
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@crappity crap, try again! Sure, 3 rejections might suck, but worth a try! I've heard of people getting in on their 3rd try
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

No problem!! I totally remember that period of time ??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Guys I just realized that Shad is opening up 2 more universities this year! 

The self doubt is really getting into me now!

Good Luck to all of you that are applying
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of Ay O Ay O
Wait so doesn't that mean that they'll accept more people then?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That's means atleast 100 more applicants will be accepted this year!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

admission rate probably still going down tbh last year they added another uni but it went down like 10%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Ay O Ay O
So what kinds of ecs did you both have?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey there! I'm a SHAD alumni from 2016 and I attended the University of Western Ontario. If you have any questions regarding the application process or the questions on it then I'm happy to help you to the best of my abilities!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ay O Ay O
Thank you so much Bre! Do you remember what kinds of ecs you had?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Ay O I did drama club, art club, and public speaking with my school. I also did some volunteering at school and at church. As well, I participated with Skills Canada a lot and did some work as a freelance artist! I found that SHAD definitely looked into people's ecs a fair bit
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Most of my ECs are music related, I have 17 hours a week of music lessons so that's pretty much all I have time for! However I play on my schools softball and volleyball teams, and am in drama, student council, mental health team executive and math league! They want to see well rounded kids is what my impression is, so even if you don't have a lot, if you cover different areas of skills, you should be fine! Don't worry too much :)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of Ay O Ay O
Thanks guys! I'll be sure to follow your advice
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ay O Ay O
What were your marks like? Do you know the average marks of the people around you who got into SHAD?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

All of my marks were in the 90's and my overall was around 97 (I also didn't do any IB or AP courses, but I was in late French Immersion). However I've heard of SHAD accepting students with marks in the 80's too. So don't stress if you have a mark you're not happy with because they look at more then marks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ay O Ay O
Yeah my average was 97 last year (grade 10, with some questionable teachers lol) as well! And I'm in French Immersion as well, I have been in it since grade 1! Which of the 'areas' do you think is the heaviest weighed?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think that your essays and your ecs are more important (not that rest aren't important). SHAD is looking for a very diverse group of talented individuals and your essays/ecs tell a lot about you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ay O Ay O
True that, true that. Do you remember if you included a video or extra written piece for your application? If so do you think that it gave you an edge?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I didn't include anything extra and I don't believe that it made my application any stronger or any weaker then someone else's! It's a nice touch to add but I don't belive it's necessary
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Essays are so so so important I think!! I included a video demo, I talked about composing my own music so I felt it was fitting to include a small clip of a piece!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It's an asset to have, especially if you can relate it back to your creative essays!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey guys, Im on the essay writing part of the application now. Do you think it will hurt my application if i talk about the same thing in 2 essays but with different themes? 
I'm having trouble deciding whether I should use my robotics club experience for the creative piece versus the community impact/leader one.

Glad to see that this thread is gaining momentum
Was this helpful? Yes 1

my friend had a really high average and pretty good ECs in my opinion but talked about student council for every essay 
got waitlisted
i had 96.5 average and talked about different ECs for every essay, and even put in another EC for "additional info"
rejected twice
result: inconclusive
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@crappity are you Asian btw? Because a lot of Asians apply and therefore it is harder for an Asian to get in. Especially if you are from Ontario as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@anon 
lol that's not true 
idk where u heard that but if anything there are more asians than any other races
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ay O Ay O
I feel like you should use different topics for each essay since they are looking for well rounded students who are involved in a variety of activities. They not only want someone who did robotics, but also someone who's a community leader.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

True, but don't be afraid to emphasize different parts of one activity. For example, if my activity was robotics, maybe one essay could be about leading the robotics team, while the other essay could be about the technical creativity required in competitions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey guys, another 2017 shad here! I'd be happy to help any of you since I know how you guys are feeling rn lol
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey I was wondering if i could ask a couple questions. Do you think shad affected you in some way for university ? and also do you need to have a lot of prior knowledge to stem related subjects?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@danielle I come from a really small school and had pretty much the basics of stem, but not much. I'm actually more into music then STEM, however going to shad I learned a lot of new things, but there was nothing that was too much even if I had minimal knowledge in the area. SHAD helped me greatly in the university area! I discovered I really enjoyed TO medical lectures and I want to peruse a career somewhere in that field!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

@danielle Yes! Like Katie, I also come from a small town and my knowledge and influences around me were really minimal to what I was introduced to at shad. I learned about areas I've never considered or known before that I actually grew an interest in. Honestly, you don't need that much knowledge because you'll get lectures that introduce you to a new subject. They're looking for applicants interested in STEAM, but there were plenty of people at my campus that wanted nothing to do with STEAM, but more towards business. If you do get accepted, just don't doubt why you got picked. Instead, just trust you were chosen for a reason and be open to experiencing and learning everything!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Wow! Good job on getting in and going! Congrats so much!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

what is Shad??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Shad is the most amazing month of your life! Centred around STEAM (science,technology,engineering,arts and math) but truly pushing students to push boundaries, take crazy risks, and form a family with members all over Canada!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

it's actually sad but they typo'd the H in and can't be bothered to change it
 lmaooo jk
The problem is, their website actually has no details on what it's about. you only have a vague idea that it's science related and it is advertised as "the best time of your life". This is their strategy to stop people cheating on essays by copying from the website. smh

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Same tbh
Was this helpful? Yes 0

so its not like a major uni application thing you have to do in order to get into Health sciences?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ay O Ay O
No, it's an enrichment opportunity- it's like a month long summer camp where you are educated about the STEAM fields.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

there's like 700 shad ppl a year and 200 spots in health sci

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Lol ur funny
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ay O Ay O
SHAD '17s-
Who did you guys use for your reference?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

My math and physics teacher! He and I were really close and knew me as more then just another student so he was able to comment on my academics and work ethic, but also extracurriculars and other areas he knew I enjoyed and excelled in!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I just asked my math teacher who had previously written a different reference for me. We weren't like bffs or anything, but he knew I was a strong student and bits about me because I had him for 2 years in a row. I'd recommend asking someone who'd actually be happy to write a reference for you bc they'll most likely write you a good one. Also make sure you have somewhat of a connection with them or else they'll end up writing a vague reference.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I asked my 9th grade math teacher she knew I was a good student as well as knowing some of the stuff I did outside of school but it honestly does not care just pick a teacher who knows you pretty well
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hahahaha shad
//triggered//
never again
>started essay writing in september both years
>rejected twice with 96 average
really killed any self worth i had left tbh but i remember thinking "i can't die today... not until i get in shad"

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Remember that the average doesn't amount to much! A person at my campus had a 85% average. Just remember to show your individuality and personality through your essays!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

do they accept grade 12s, and if so, do they have high af standards

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes and yes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

They typically accept less 12s than other grades, but there's still lots of grade 12s that are accepted. Honestly I think they're standards are high but more than that, they're very specific about who they pick. Like when I applied, there were people with higher averages or better ecs than I had, but they weren't accepted and I was. Now I'm not saying that my application was sub par, but merely just trying to get my point across that shad's standards aren't ridiculously high. As long as your ecs are well rounded and your average is in the 90s, they don't care that much. Of course you'll see some people with crazy ecs, but most people's aren't like that. I really think that the essays are the most important and they're looking for people who can prove to be leaders and problem solvers. Don't bullshit your essays bc they've seen thousands of essays and they'll know. It doesn't have to be perfect, but show some passion and sincerity.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

welp if it's the essays then i'm more f*cked than i thought
past 2 years i started them in late september and had like 3 teachers, 2 of which were English teachers, look over my essays
my friends wrote their entire apps in literally 2 days
guess who got in
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@crappity crap I came off anon lol 
but I was like your friend too haha
I started my app the day before and sent it in like a few hours before the due time
I feel like when people look over it and edit it, it can end up coming off as less sincere so maybe that's why
Was this helpful? Yes 0

procrastination level: over 9000
i did all my IB english assignments 2 days before they were due and got a low 90
tbh very likely gonna write the entire app in 2 days this year, f*ck it
Was this helpful? Yes 0

shad 2017 here
willing to answer any questions anytime
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i literally have nothing for the creativity piece 
a) what did you do
b) what can i do in a limited amount of time 
     - I am not good at music or art
     - gr12 IB workload is gonna f*ck me over before i even make it to shad app season 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i had no idea for the longest time and i ran out of time so i just did it on my mental health and how i dealt with it lmao
it doesn't  have to be some masterpiece you created 
you can do it on a small problem and just explain the steps and initiatives u took for it
you could even do it on how you had a bunch of stuff to do in a short time frame and how you figured out how to do it idk
Was this helpful? Yes 0

dealing with mental health counts as creativity/innovation?
like did you make a mental health awareness club or sth
Was this helpful? Yes 0

For my creative essay I simply talked about coming from a small town I don't have access to a music store so I write my own music.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

For me I actually talked about how I had no idea what to write for the creativity piece! I detailed the process of me being generally clueless about the essay and then me coming up with an idea for it
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@crappity crap no like i talked about how i personally dealt with mental health issues like anxiety
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What is SHAD?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

for the activities portion how are you able to show all the different things you do if you have multiple things with different dates?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I listed all the different things in the description box and gave a rough overall date and hours for them all
Was this helpful? Yes 1

SHAD McMaster 2017 here willing to answer any question you have about the application, program or the mac campus
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ay O Ay O
Hey! So can you tell me about your whole mac experience? I've been strongly considering going to mac and was wondering how your SHAD experience was there!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I really liked it there are program director was awesome and really entertaining. The campus is known to be a little bit stricter than other campus, like we can eat off campus or go off campus we also had a curfew of 11 lights out which is earlier then other campus but I did not mine because we all eat together there no clicks so we form a big family and I was so tired that I did not mind the early curfew. If you have anymore question let me know. But shad was really the best month of my life.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Wow nice! thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ay O Ay O
Cool! Do you remember what kinds of lectures/ activities/labs you did there?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

We did some about biologie, engineering, business and also some about yourself/future
Was this helpful? Yes 2