yconic - Official SHAD 2018 Thread!
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Official SHAD 2018 Thread!

Hey guysss! I'm currently working on my SHAD application for 2018! Any of you doing the same? We can chat here :^D

Rip Gerald 2017-2018. You were a great companion and most of all, friend.
Was this helpful? Yes 4
2068 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey Guys!

If you don't mind, would you please check out this song: https://youtu.be/FjJfabA2iIQ

His name is Tom Odell and is a close family friend who is currently battling cancer. It would mean the world to him if you guys could take a listen!
Was this helpful? Yes 3

THAT WAS BEATIFUL!! Made me cryyyy. Hope he gets better, wish him the best!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It's great!! Honestly gave me the chills :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Jhezz I'm crying....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That's amazing, wow! Stay strong <3
Was this helpful? Yes 0

anyone send in a bursary form yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yus. emailed mine
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Where did you guys mail the SHAD bursary form to? I just want to make sure that I sent it to the right place. Thanks :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Bursaries@shad.ca :)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

okay cool :) tyyy
Was this helpful? Yes 0

When are campus selection forms mailed out? I heard we get to rank campuses even before we know if we got in or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 3

I thought it came in our acceptance packages (if we do get accepted)???? 
Idk tho...
Was this helpful? Yes 3

I have heard you don't get to choose until you receive an acceptance (or possibly waitlist)
Was this helpful? Yes 3

Shad alumni here, you will receive the campus ranking in the acceptance package. I am pretty sure you get one too if your on the waiting list.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of Ay O Ay O
Yeah that's true^, what would be the point of choosing your campuses before you get accepted?
Was this helpful? Yes 3

This post was deleted

A photo of Ay O Ay O
Hey don't be so hard on yourself! You never know- it's good to keep an open mind!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

First day back to school! I don’t know about you guys, but there sure is A LOT of snow!
Just piano thoughts, are any of you going to DECA provincials in February? If so, what events :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ay O Ay O
Omg there is so much snow here in KW-finally ! It's such a step up from last year's sorry excuse for winter...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah, in FTDM. My partner and I are ranked #1 in the Waterloo Region, but that doesn't really mean anything, lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

wow a little less than a month left I'm excited~
Was this helpful? Yes 2

A photo of Ay O Ay O
Woohoo, same! Excited, nervous, stressed, but excited! Who else has a lot of summatives and exam stuff?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I do! I'm getting so stressed and the anticipation of SHAD isn't helping lol
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Well I mean, the more we're stressing and preparing exam and summative stuff, the wait flies by faster for SHAD
Was this helpful? Yes 2

This post was deleted

Apparently they just look at grades to see a minimum 80%+ average, your essays and ecs to try to see what kind of person you are - if u fit the SHAD profile and if you're well-rounded (not just focused on school). There's apparently a greater emphasis on the essays though, they wanna see an actual person with personality and actual passions. 
Anyways, don't stress, if you've submitted already there's really nothing you can do now but wait. 
Was this helpful? Yes 3

A photo of Ay O Ay O
Kath L- that's a good point! Now stress from school is a good thing, because it distracts me from the stress that is SHAD!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What do you think the chances of you getting accepted are and why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ay O Ay O
To be honest I have no clue. I've never applied to SHAD before this year, heard presentations about it, or had a speaker come in to talk about admissions/requirements. I just did my thing and clicked 'submit'. On the bursary form, it said that there's about a 40% chance of getting in, so I wouldn't say that my chances are higher or lower than anyone else's, as I don't know SHAD'S exact standards, or how strong everyone's applications truly were. I haven't read any essays or seen anything else so I'm unsure about how mine stacks up against others'. I guess I'll have to wait until February to really see how I did......
Was this helpful? Yes 1

This post was deleted

A photo of Ay O Ay O
What do YOU guys think your chances of getting in are and why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i think some positive i have on my side are my location. if i remember correctly, i think part of the process is based off of geography so if you're from GTA or probs downtown van it may be more competitive. (probably only by a small amount though) so since i'm from a place where barely anyone applies, i may have a little advantage. also, I feel that all of my essays but one were well written and showcased who i am and what i can offer. 
my disadvantages are probably my involvement. i'm not as cray involved as a lot of people who apply are as well as, they're not very special ecs. 

my problem solving essay was my weakest one which is bad because i think that's the one that is very important to them.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

hm I'm not sure about my chances, maybe it'll happen? I'm expecting a wait list offer though cause if everyone is like the people here--involved in a ton of ecs--I don't think I'm gonna get in lol
Was this helpful? Yes 1

This post was deleted

I'm in grade 10 right now and I was wondering if i have a chance at getting into SHAD considering that I'm not very well rounded unfortunately. 
These are my extra curriculars: 
Piano (I'm not too good, I'm average)
I volunteer at my local library
I know a few computer programming languages
I'm a peer tutor at my school for the grade 9s. I do it in the library during lunch period. 
I'm also planning on joining the computer club and math club at my school. 
I'm planning on trying for treasurer as well. 

Should I send my application in after joining the 2 clubs and trying out for student government (treasurer)? My marks are pretty good as I have a 94 average right now but since SHAD just looks for 80+ averages, I don't think it will help me much. If you have any suggestions for ECs, please tell me! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

applications were due 2 months ago.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

wait you haven't submitted your application yet? I don't think you can anymore unless you're talking about applying next year
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I actually only figured out what SHAD was through this site that I just joined a few days ago! I was actually asking for next year's SHAD. There isn't a thread for next year's yet so that's why I just asked on this. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Ay O Ay O
o o f
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Do we get an email confirming they received our bursary request form like we did when we submitted our application?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I got a reply back saying that they received the files!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

I got a reply too a day after I submitted my forms :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ay O Ay O
Could February come sooner, please? Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Ikr I just want to know already
I hope it comes on the very first day of February, but it's probably the first week
Was this helpful? Yes 1

LOL yeah! I heard that we get emails/letters near the end of the first week of February.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I thought I read somewhere mid-February (if I recall correctly?)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Ay O Ay O
and the suspense intensifieeeessss!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yeah same, in my grade , 3 people applied and we're all mentally dying
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

I'm just so glad that this thread exists... It's really nice to know that I'm not the only person who is stressed about SHAD. I'm not really sure that I'll make it anyways (I think I may have tanked an essay or two) but at least it's nicer to wait here :)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

This post was deleted

Hey everyone! I know this thread was meant for everyone applying to this year's SHAD however I wanted to know if I should even bother applying with the few ECs I have.
So my ECs are:
Piano, I volunteer at the library, at a food bank and at a place for seniors, I've been to coding classes before and am planning on learning Java and html soon as well as how to design a webpage from scratch all before June 2018. 
The bad thing is I'm not in any school clubs because I don't have a ride back to my house other than the bus that comes directly after school finishes. I wanted to join the computer club but it has only 2 girls in it and they're both in grade 12 so i don't talk to them ( I'm in grade 10). Will this affect my chances of getting in? Please reply so I can try to join a school club if absolutely necessary. Thanks in advance! 

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ay O Ay O
If you're planning on applying for 2019, go for it! You have plenty of time to join any clubs that you want! Plus, don't think that you have to join computer club or whatever just because of SHAD! Join them because you're passionate about it! Yes, many people here are in many clubs, but that's just because they're interested in whatever they're in! They want to be a valuable member of their school community! Don't let having no friends in a club stop you! You don't know how many times I have done something while being completely aware that I had no friends in it, and I still had a great time because I was passionate about it! Expand your horizons and don't be afraid to try new things because that's what life is about! You don't want to look back at your high school career and think "oh man I really did want to do computer club, but it's too late now", use your passion as your company!
Was this helpful? Yes 3

I don't think not being in any school clubs will make SHAD immediately reject you. They use what you do outside of school to see your interests and that you're not completely focused on grades, and with your current ecs I can see that you're interested in computers or even computer engineering. Joining a club would be good, but that being said, if joining after-school clubs really inconveniences you, then you don't have to join them because it isn't absolutely necessary (maybe you can explain why you can't join any on the application). Also don't make not knowing anyone a reason why you didn't join, you can make new friends!  Focus a lot on the essays, cause that's the main way SHAD can see your personality and stuff
Was this helpful? Yes 3

This post was deleted

Thank you guys so much for replying and I really do want to join the computer club and the only thing holding me back is the girl to boy ratio. But you know what, I totally agree with the fact that I don't want to look back regretting it. Thanks for telling me all this, I really appreciate it. And by the way, for the creative piece, do you have to make a video? Oh and and I'm not very athletic, so will SHAD be a bad choice for me? I like to socialize and interact but what if i'm bad at the sporty activities? I don't want to embarrass myself. i don't mean to sound like a snobby teen but i'm an insecure person in general and the last thing i need is to not be able to do something in front of many people.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

No you don't have to make a video. And lol don't worry not everyone is athletic so it's not like you'll be the only one, don't let that stop you from going to SHAD. You don't even have to be good at sports, just have fun with everyone!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Oh okay that's true! Thanks again for the encouragement
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Building a website sounds like a really good idea. If you build it with a certain passion in mind it could really help for a future application. Like if you built a website about space and recent astronomy discoveries, it would show that you have a passion for science outside of school. You could probably submit it as the creative piece.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Thanks for the idea, I'll create a website on something science related that I'm passionate about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0